Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-07-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
alex4evr
alex4evr began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Kindle PW3 5.9.4 Jailbreak

Hi I wanted to create this post to see what the status of Kindle PW3 5.9.4 Jailbreak was.

I read the forum post asking about Kindle PW3 5.9.2 Jailbreak but wanted to create a new thread as per the recommendation of knc1. Hope I am following the forum rules
alex4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
As knc1 noted, threads are free here. To the best of my understanding there is currently no software jailbreak for this version of the firmware. So your only option at this point is serial port jailbreak. Your model is one of those where this can be done, unlike the Oasis models where the location of the serial port has yet to be determined.

Performing a serial port jailbreak requires opening the unit to gain access to tiny, delicate connections on the system board. You also require the proper serial hardware and software on your computer system to work with the serial connection. Using the wrong hardware or insufficient care can result in a damaged or destroyed unit.

Should you have the skills and tools to do it, look at the thread on serial jailbreaking.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 03-07-2018 at 03:41 PM. Reason: correct typos
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #3
alex4evr
alex4evr began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
So your only option at this point is serial port jailbreak. Your model is one of those where this can be done, unlike the Oasis models where the location of the serial port has yet to be determined.

Performing a serial port jailbreak requires opening the unit to gain access to tiny, delicate connections on the system board. You also require the proper serial hardware and software on your computer system to work with the serial connection. Using the wrong hardware or insufficient care can result in a damaged or destroyed unit.

Should you have the skills and tools to do it, look at the thread on serial jailbreaking.

Dave
Thanks so much! I'm assuming you are talking about THIS thread.

It looks pretty crazy, but I might give it a shot if I have the time.
alex4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex4evr View Post
Thanks so much! I'm assuming you are talking about THIS thread.

It looks pretty crazy, but I might give it a shot if I have the time.
Yes that or the linux one referenced in it is what I was talking about. As noted, not for you if you have five thumbs or can't work with any tool smaller than a concrete chisel. Likewise not for you if you don't have access to the proper hardware as the system boards are easy to destroy.

There might be a software only solution in the future,but it depends upon someone locating a vulnerability that the firmware writers missed that can be exploited to allow the jailbreak to be installed. Thus far none has been found for the later firmware releases.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #5
aph
aph began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Confirming that for PaperWhite 3, firmware 5.9.4, the serial jailbraking works more-less as described on the mentioned thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

For serial connection, I used these:
https://www.ebay.es/itm/FT232RL-FTDI...kAAOSwLF1X~KFv
and
https://www.ebay.es/itm/Logic-Level-...YAAOSwv0tVV0~4

For some reason the FTDI chip did not work over a long usb cable, but did work when directly plugged into the PC. All the drivers worked automatically (win 8).
Putty connected as described.

bootm 0xE41000 booted into diagnostics
however, there were different menus. what worked to go into login menu was typing "exit login"
login root and password generated by python and serial number were good.

This part worked, but I needed to change mmcblk0p1 to mmcblk0p2, and I think I typed mntroot rw before. Not sure.
Code:
mkdir /tmp/main
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /tmp/main
vi /tmp/main/etc/passwd
I've copied the jailbreak and ran jb.sh. It said '*** jailbreak *** ' on the screen.

Now, I'm having problems running KUAL. Please, help. I've tried copying the azw2 file to documents. Not shown in my library. I've tried with ;log mrpi, I think correctly, but nothing happens.
aph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2018, 04:50 AM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
#aph
Here is the KUAL booklet installer that can be run via Update Your Kindle menu:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...21#post3613021

And here is the patch if the KUAL start screen is blank:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294765

Last edited by hius07; 03-14-2018 at 04:53 AM.
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aph View Post
Confirming that for PaperWhite 3, firmware 5.9.4, the serial jailbraking works more-less as described on the mentioned thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

For serial connection, I used these:
https://www.ebay.es/itm/FT232RL-FTDI...kAAOSwLF1X~KFv
and
https://www.ebay.es/itm/Logic-Level-...YAAOSwv0tVV0~4

For some reason the FTDI chip did not work over a long usb cable, but did work when directly plugged into the PC. All the drivers worked automatically (win 8).
Putty connected as described.

bootm 0xE41000 booted into diagnostics
however, there were different menus. what worked to go into login menu was typing "exit login"
login root and password generated by python and serial number were good.

This part worked, but I needed to change mmcblk0p1 to mmcblk0p2, and I think I typed mntroot rw before. Not sure.
Code:
mkdir /tmp/main
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /tmp/main
vi /tmp/main/etc/passwd
I've copied the jailbreak and ran jb.sh. It said '*** jailbreak *** ' on the screen.

Now, I'm having problems running KUAL. Please, help. I've tried copying the azw2 file to documents. Not shown in my library. I've tried with ;log mrpi, I think correctly, but nothing happens.
If you changed mmcblk0p1 to mmcblk0p2 then you where modifying the "diag" system, not the "main" system.
Modifying the "main" system is the entire point of all proceeding steps.

If you have any problems, try following the directions next time.

PS: You must use the KUAL booklet, not the KUAL document, when running any 5.9.* firmware version.
Try reading those directions (the ones packed with KUAL) also.

You will have a lot less trouble if you read and follow the directions rather than make things up as you go along.

Last edited by knc1; 03-14-2018 at 09:36 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
aph
aph began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Yep. My bad. I redid the jailbreak procedure, and it produced a successful jailbrake message. In my defense, there was a slight difference in the menu exiting procedure (I needed to type 'exit login') and before changing the password file I needed to type "mntroot rw". After that, all good.

I've struggled with the KUAL installation, and it worked by copying the * nomax* bin file to the root of the usb, and then clicking update my kindle. (I was trying to copy that file to the mrpackages).

Thank you both :top:
aph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:56 AM   #9
encryptedcypher
encryptedcypher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Works on Paperwhite 2 as well on 5.9.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aph View Post
Yep. My bad. I redid the jailbreak procedure, and it produced a successful jailbrake message. In my defense, there was a slight difference in the menu exiting procedure (I needed to type 'exit login') and before changing the password file I needed to type "mntroot rw". After that, all good.

I've struggled with the KUAL installation, and it worked by copying the * nomax* bin file to the root of the usb, and then clicking update my kindle. (I was trying to copy that file to the mrpackages).

Thank you both :top:

I can confirm that the jailbreak works on a Kindle Paperwhite 2 on 5.9.4 firmware. I agree that you need to type "mntroot rw" prior to launching the jailbreak.sh script.

I used the Ftdi TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE USB to TTL cable. I purchased it from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One thing I'd like to add is that the serial port connection is very tiny on the paperwhite 2. Even though I was very careful, I ended up ripping off the pads of the the RX and TX connections. Thankfully on the otherside of the board, pins TM800 and TM801 are the same RX and TX connections. I still had to solder in the ground cable to the ground on the serial port connection to make this work.

Also, I WAS able to install the Kual booklet successfully and also install the backdoorlock using the KUAL installer. (To prevent Amazon from auto upgrading the firmware).

I would be happy to provide pictures if anyone wants to see how I soldered the connections.
encryptedcypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are writing about a PW2 in a thread dedicated to the PW3.
Thread hijacking only makes what you post impossible to find later.

The serial port pinout and connector pad has been identical since the K4 (with the exception of the two Oasis models).

The "backdoor lock" has not worked for several years.
You really should do what is recommended in our jail break thread(s) to prevent OTA updates.

Last edited by knc1; 04-16-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:04 AM   #11
encryptedcypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You are writing about a PW2 in a thread dedicated to the PW3.
Thread hijacking only makes what you post impossible to find later.

The serial port pinout and connector pad has been identical since the K4 (with the exception of the two Oasis models).
The "backdoor lock" has not worked for several years.
You really should do what is recommended in our jail break thread(s) to prevent OTA updates.
I found this thread in a Google search. It was not my intent to hijack this thread, only to add my experiences as well to aid other people who might stumble upon this page like I did.

With that being said, if you could provide a link or two on how to best block OTA updates, it would be appreciated. My research on the internet led me to believe that the backdoorlock was the best way to block OTA updates. Based upon what you said, I am clearly in error.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

http://knetconnect.com/koa2/KOA2_Jai...agicparlabel-9

If your search landed you on this thread, you might want to back up to the index level of this forum and get any idea of the context you landed in.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
Cheesesteak
Cheesesteak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindke Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
As knc1 noted, threads are free here. To the best of my understanding there is currently no software jailbreak for this version of the firmware. So your only option at this point is serial port jailbreak.
Is there any progress being made on a potential software jailbreak, or is waiting for such a thing futile? I'm unsure if I should wait a few months for a possible breakthrough or try to get my hands dirty and risk physically damaging my unit.

In other words, what's the state of Kindle software jailbreaking? Dead in the water, or is there hope?
Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
encryptedcypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
http://knetconnect.com/koa2/KOA2_Jai...agicparlabel-9

If your search landed you on this thread, you might want to back up to the index level of this forum and get any idea of the context you landed in.
KNC1, thanks for the info! Much appreciated!
Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
encryptedcypher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
Is there any progress being made on a potential software jailbreak, or is waiting for such a thing futile? I'm unsure if I should wait a few months for a possible breakthrough or try to get my hands dirty and risk physically damaging my unit.

In other words, what's the state of Kindle software jailbreaking? Dead in the water, or is there hope?
Cheesesteak, I'm not going to lie, the soldering was a bit more difficult than I anticipated, and I am VERY experienced with this kind of thing. I was surprised how small the serial port leads were on the paperwhite board. So if you decide to serial jailbreak it yourself instead of waiting for a jailbreak (if that ever happens) you will need thin wire, like an individual ethernet wire.

However It is definitely worth it! I'm so happy to have KUAL back, and access to kterm. I have a script that I wrote to delete those annoying ads (Special Offers), and without access to kterm (or a serial port putty connection), there was no way to delete the ads.

Last edited by encryptedcypher; 04-18-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Tags
5.9.4, jailbreak, kindle, paperwhite, pw3