Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #31
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I don't like those much either. I read/listened to the first three, and decided not to read any more of them.

Have you read The Öland Quartet by Johan Theorin? The last one hasn't been published yet, but I liked the first three.
I just looked at my list, and I read Echoes from the Dead years ago having picked it up from the library. I have the ebook of The Darkest Room, but I haven't read it yet. I think I'll go back and read the first one again, as I can't remember what I read yesterday, much less what I read back in 2008. I marked it as 5-stars, so I must have really liked it.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #32
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I have collected the first few. Once I finish the Wallander series from Henning Mankell, this might be the next series I start.

I have read the first three books in the Patrik Hedstrom series by Camilla Läckberg, but I didn't like the first two all that much and am hesitant to recommend the series. The third book was the best, and the subsequent books aren't available yet.
What I liked about the Inspector Sejer series was that although some of the criminals in the books were really screwed up, Sejer and his assistant were basically decent people doing a good job, as opposed to so many series where the main character is really messed up.

Warning - if you're squeamish, like me, you will want to skip over some of the crime scene descriptions.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #33
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
How about the Outsider in Amsterdam series (that is the name of the first book) by Van De Wetering?
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #34
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
How about the Outsider in Amsterdam series (that is the name of the first book) by Van De Wetering?
These sound good. Unfortunately, Amazon has pulled all but the first one from Kindle due to some kind of formatting errors. Hopefully the publisher will get them fixed sooner than later.

Here's the full list of his books.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #35
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingMaNs View Post
Have you tried Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander series? I really enjoyed them.
Second that. I loved them.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #36
pumpkincat
User
pumpkincat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox iPad iPhone
thanks 4691mls, I'll give Karen fossum a try
pumpkincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #37
pumpkincat
User
pumpkincat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox iPad iPhone
Quote:
These sound good. Unfortunately, Amazon has pulled all but the first one from Kindle due to some kind of formatting errors. Hopefully the publisher will get them fixed sooner than later.

They look good - KOBO has some.
pumpkincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #38
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
I just got the first book in William Kent Krueger's Cork O'Connor series (Iron Lake). There are 12 so far. The O'Connor character is described as 'a three-quarters Irish and one-quarter Ojibwe ex-sheriff in Aurora, Minnesota'.

Also collecting some of James Grippando's books from his Jack Swyteck series (a criminal defense lawyer in Miami, FL). I have one, so far -- my book budget is getting hammered this month.
Thanks for mentioning William Kent Krueger, I picked up Iron Lake and it is excellent - but putting it down at night is a bit of a problem!
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #39
typatterson67
typatterson67 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
you could also try out Harlan Coben' Myron Bolitar and Win Spencer series.

other auhors that you might enjoy could be Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak series (one hell of a name for a character), and Stephen Hunter's Swagger series.

by far the best pairing i have read is the one mentioned by several before me, Robert Crais's Cole and Pike series. Crais' stand alone Pike novels are great books too, in fact i prefer those.

[Self-Promotion deleted -MODERAT0R]

thanks
Ty

[self-promotional links deleted - MODERAT0R]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
typatterson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:13 AM   #40
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:

I've only read Inspector Saito's Small Satori, but liked it enough that I've kept my eyes open for more of his stuff in the local used book stores. Unfortunately, he seems to have fallen into obscurity over here.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #41
LMSherwin
LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LMSherwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
You should check out Lindsay Buroker's books (THE EMPEROR'S EDGE SERIES--of which the first book is free) and also Juliet Marillier's books (THE SEVENWATERS SERIES, etc.) if you love fantasy stories!
LMSherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #42
forgottenbooks
forgottenbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Thank youfor the list, I was searching for this.
forgottenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #43
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
If you like historical fiction try Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series. Or any of the other historical fiction series by Cornwell.
Apache
I would add John Jakes to that genre. His Bastard series is ace!
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #44
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
I loved John Jakes' Bastard series when I was younger.

I also really liked the Dortmunder Series by Donald E. Westlake (and a lot of his novels, especially The Ax).
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
In honor of the history of this thread, someone should post some titles about Necromancy or Revivification, no? :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote