Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
sydneyxx
sydneyxx began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Question reading system setup and annotation sync

As the number of ebooks keep growing, I would like to put in place a robust system that might allow me not to get lost in my readings.
In particular, I'd like to make Calibre as the central management platform for my library, storing the books on my laptop - which will become the main archive - and then, when needed, push the book(s) to be read via Wireless Device connection to the iPad, which would be the main reading/annotating platform.
Finally, those annotated books would need to be synchronised again to Calibre on the laptop, where I'd extract the notes via a third-party application.

While the laptop part is quite clear to me and the first syncing might be done via Calibre Companion (CC), I am still puzzled by the whole part involving the iPad: afaik, being app-segregated, I would need to share the book from CC to a reading app of choice (eg. MarginNote/PDFExpert/Hyphen/MapleRead), but then how can I update the book back to Calibre with the annotations?

I have to say I haven't attempted to try any of the paid applications that might sync with Calibre yet - CC, MapleRead, GoodReader -, so I lack a first-hand experience; before paying for apps which I'm not sure they would be able to do what I need, I would kindly ask you to share your experiences and adopted solutions with your Calibre-centred system.
Is my idea unrealistic and infeasible? Are there any alternative solutions available (eg. command line utils,...)?
Finally, in terms of reading app, how do you feel about MapleRead, compared, for example, with Hyphen or MarginNote?

I thank you in advance for your kind contributions
sydneyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
The books part is fairly straight forward. I don't do annotations myself, but from what I read, the syncing annotations might be a bit of an issue.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
sydneyxx

Thanks for your answer, pwalker8

Probably it's my misunderstanding of the ebook mechanics related to annotations...but you mean that synching is one-way only? Pulling only from Calibre DB into device and not the other way around, where the epub/pdf with annotations gets pushed back into Calibre, updated?

Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
sydneyxx

Lightbulb

One thought I had...is that the same (one-way sync) also when using cloud services to store books, or in that case the synchronisation occurs both ways?

Thank you!