Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Phssthpok
Addict
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Horrible Kindle
EPUB to AZW3 adds inline ToC to end of book?

I have a quite normal EPUB with a ToC in the toc.ncx but no inline ToC in the text of the book. When I convert it to AZW3 it suddenly acquires an inline ToC following the last chapter, which has <body id="calibre_generated_inline_toc"> as if it were generated by Calibre's "Insert Inline ToC" tool.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I regularly convert EPUBs to AZW3 to read on my Kindle, and I've never seen this happen before...
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #2
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Fire, iPad Air 2, Nexus 7
That is the default conversion behavior for AZW3 format.

In the conversion settings in the "AZW3 output" tab there is an option "Do not add Table of Contents to book" to disable this.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:39 AM   #3
Phssthpok
Addict
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Horrible Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is the default conversion behavior for AZW3 format.

In the conversion settings in the "AZW3 output" tab there is an option "Do not add Table of Contents to book" to disable this.
Thanks. I don't quite know what's happened, but I ticked the box and reconverted the offending book and all is now well. However, that book was one out of a batch of 15 EPUB books which I uploaded to my Kindle yesterday, and they were all converted automatically to AZW3 as part of the upload process. The other 14 AZW3s don't have an inline TOC at the end, so I'm really puzzled.

I decided to open the AZW3 that had the inline ToC and another AZW3 in the editor to see if I could spot any difference. The book with the inline ToC opens without any problems, but whichever other one I tried it with, the editor reported this error:

Code:
calibre, version 3.28.0
ERROR: Failed to open book: Failed to open book, click "Show details" for more information.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\job.py", line 35, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\tweak_book\boss.py", line 60, in get_container
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 1508, in get_container
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\polish\container.py", line 1469, in __init__
InvalidMobi: Failed to explode MOBI
The books all appear to be fine otherwise: the Kindle is happy with them, the Calibre viewer is happy with them... weird. I feel like I should just tiptoe away quietly.

Last edited by Phssthpok; 08-06-2018 at 04:42 AM.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3, inline toc