Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
carmenchu
Connoisseur
carmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to allcarmenchu is a name known to all

Device: none
List Toolbar working only in BookView--why?

Hello!
Just installed the new release, which seems great.
However, I still miss a couple of features:
1. The List buttons working in code view--is there some reason why they should not? I understand it better for Indent and Align--anyway, I employ classes for that. But it would be useful to just select
Item
Item
Item
(no tags) and get them wrapped in all those pesky <ol/ul><li>...</li></ol/ul>.
2. By the way, I also miss an icon for Preview: of course, F12 does the trick, but when just editing, I am rather a mouse-fiend.
Thanks!
carmenchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:44 AM   #2
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo
You can probably create a Clip to "paste" a basic list structure.
But I agree with you. It is a pity not to be able to use its buttons in Code View .
I find that having to use a Clip (a user parameter) for this (a element of the HTML standard) is a bit of a waste.
I would add, that the Tables are also missing, a more complex element, but still useful and powerful (in the same order of idea, the button paste a basic model)

Last edited by un_pogaz; 08-01-2018 at 05:25 AM.
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What everyone has to realize is that the buttons in Code View are not the same thing as the buttons in Book View--merely disabled.

The functionality of the buttons in Book View are routines that are provided by Qt. It does all the lifting. The same buttons in Code View are routines that we have to manage to accommodate similar functionality. Except that in Code View, me have to make sure it can be accomplished without polluting the code with inline styles or butchering something else.

When in Code View, we are always running under the assumption that the user wants full control over what code is created. Some of the simpler buttons that can't "screw things up" are still enabled in Code View, but that's about it.

If you need/prefer a lot of automated code generation assistance with your HTML editing, consider setting up some clips, or using the Open With feature of Sigil (right-click on files in the Book Browser) and using a full-featured HTML editor of your choice to do your editing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenchu View Post
2. By the way, I also miss an icon for Preview: of course, F12 does the trick, but when just editing, I am rather a mouse-fiend.
Thanks!
View->Preview is, of course, two clicks. But it will keep you away from needing to use the keyboard. To be honest, I never hide Preview anyway. I tab it together with the ToC widget. It's never more than one mouse-click away that way. None of Sigil's dockable Widgets have icons, by the way.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-01-2018 at 09:36 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I can't imagine using Sigil without the Preview panel open!

I am a touch typist, so I don't have to look at Code View most of the time. I prefer to keep my eye (I only have one, for all practical purposes) on Preview and see the changes happen in (virtual) real time.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote