Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 AM   #1
mnfe
Connoisseur
mnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with othersmnfe plays well with others

Device: none
eReader with expandable storage?

I have been using my beloved Nook ST for a very long time, and I think it's time to upgrade. The front runner is currently a Kindle PW, but my concern is storage. I have an SD card in my Nook and both it and my Nook onboard storage is jam packed (although it is not rooted or anything so there is that onboard space reserved for B&N content). I like having a lot of books with me and just throw everything on rather than worry about adding and removing books. I will likely be doing a lot of sideloading since I use Calibre.

I see that the PW has 4 GB of storage and the Nook 3 (which I like the warmer light at night) has only 1 GB for sideloaded content. Are there any readers that still have an SD slot that don't cost an arm and a leg? Or do I need to either bite the bullet and spend more for more storage or spend more time doing library management? Is it possible to recover the space set aside for B&N content on the Nook 3?

Yes, I know realistically that I do not need over 1000 books with me at any time, but for some reason it's somewhat important to me.

Last edited by mnfe; 11-26-2017 at 05:48 AM.
mnfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could look for an original Kobo H2O (not the "second edition"). It has an SD card slot, although its replacement does not.

I would note, though, that if you're talking about ordinary novels, you can easily store a couple of thousand on a device with 4GB storage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfe View Post
Is it possible to recover the space set aside for B&N content on the Nook 3?
Well, yes, according to downeaster59 in the News thread about the GlowLight 3 ...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...291759&page=01

It's kind of "funky," though. According to downeaster59, you can load Nova Launcher via ADB and copy books to Nook's partition but you WON'T be able to read those books with the Nook's software. You'll have to install another reader (downeaster59 used AIReader). So you have the 1 GB side-loading partition (which the Nook software will read), books you download from B&N (which work with the Nook software) but the books you load when in Nova Launcher will only work with downloaded (Android) eReader software, not with the stock Nook reader application.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I'm with you on the expandable storage front. For me it's about time. Why should I waste time sorting out books to go on my ereader when I can just pop my whole collection onto a card and put that in the ereader? And then I have all of my books with me so I can swap between them at will.

Here are comparison tables, look for expandable storage in the Memory column:

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/eboo...omparison.html

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/ebook-reader-table.html

I've had both B&N and Inkbook Android-based ereaders. I love the openness of Android but it does definitely have downsides. B&N was a lot more simple and straightforward. I just dropped my Android ereader, and am probably going to choose one of these three:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...o-walkthrough/
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/onyx...afterglow.html
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/kobo-aura-h2O.html - original version with the card slot

ETA: It's easy to find older used readers for a low cost on eBay. The downside is that they may have scratches, damage or worn batteries. But I've had good luck if I just pay careful attention to the listings and ask the seller questions.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Unless you go in for audible books or comics and manga frequently the limitation on ebook storage seems to be how many titles/books the operating system can handle without bogging down or hanging up.

Also finding a book can be a pain with too many in memory unless you remember all the titles and authors. Ebooks organization schemes on readers can leave something to be desired. By the time you reach 8 GB memory or more I am not too sure of the need for removable memory.

The latest Kindle Oasis 2 and the Kobo Aura One Deluxe (Just announced) both have 32GB of memory. I cannot see a e-reader needing more for normal Mobi, Epub or AZW book storage.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could look for an original Kobo H2O (not the "second edition"). It has an SD card slot,...
so does the kobo aura HD, which I have.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I never seen a nook with a sd slot?

Have you tried the new 7" kindle? it has 32gb that is a hell of a lot of books. Only think I can think of is a Nook or Kindle tablet. They have SD Slots.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I never seen a nook with a sd slot?
The original Nook (First Edition) eInk device had a microSD card slot inside the removable back cover. The Nook Simple Touch and Simple Touch with Glowlight, both had microSD slots on the right hand side, near the top (under rubber flaps). I think the original Nook GlowLight was the first Nook not to have a microSD slot, so it's been three generations now without microSD slots.[/QUOTE]
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Unless you go in for audible books or comics and manga frequently the limitation on ebook storage seems to be how many titles/books the operating system can handle without bogging down or hanging up.

Also finding a book can be a pain with too many in memory unless you remember all the titles and authors. Ebooks organization schemes on readers can leave something to be desired. By the time you reach 8 GB memory or more I am not too sure of the need for removable memory.

The latest Kindle Oasis 2 and the Kobo Aura One Deluxe (Just announced) both have 32GB of memory. I cannot see a e-reader needing more for normal Mobi, Epub or AZW book storage.
Yes. File management seems to be the problem area in all the devices. This I have a hard time understanding because file management is not something new but something any competent programmer should know how to deal with. It is the one area in e-ink readers that really need work. The screens are as good as they need to be, so are the batteries and the rest of the physical parts of the readers. Now they need to find better ways to organize and search your titles. I want an eink reader with lots of memory like the new Oasis plus Calibre built in to manage your library. And a Home and Back button.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Pocketbook e-readers still have an external micro sd card slot and a very good file management system (of course they do have their downsides too).
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:36 PM   #11
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by church mouse View Post
Pocketbook e-readers still have an external micro sd card slot and a very good file management system (of course they do have their downsides too).
Only Aqua and Aqua2 (the watertight models) don't have a card slot. All other Pocketbooks have it.

Watertight models in general tend to omit the card slot.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
Only Aqua and Aqua2 (the watertight models) don't have a card slot. All other Pocketbooks have it.

Watertight models in general tend to omit the card slot.
The original Kobo H20 was waterproof and had an SD card slot.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnfe View Post
I have been using my beloved Nook ST for a very long time, and I think it's time to upgrade. The front runner is currently a Kindle PW, but my concern is storage. I have an SD card in my Nook and both it and my Nook onboard storage is jam packed (although it is not rooted or anything so there is that onboard space reserved for B&N content). I like having a lot of books with me and just throw everything on rather than worry about adding and removing books. I will likely be doing a lot of sideloading since I use Calibre.

I see that the PW has 4 GB of storage and the Nook 3 (which I like the warmer light at night) has only 1 GB for sideloaded content. Are there any readers that still have an SD slot that don't cost an arm and a leg? Or do I need to either bite the bullet and spend more for more storage or spend more time doing library management? Is it possible to recover the space set aside for B&N content on the Nook 3?

Yes, I know realistically that I do not need over 1000 books with me at any time, but for some reason it's somewhat important to me.
Depending on how long you can wait, B&N seem to be doing away with the sideloading limit. Folks trying the beta software report 5.5-6.5GB of storage.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #14
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could look for an original Kobo H2O (not the "second edition"). It has an SD card slot, although its replacement does not.

I would note, though, that if you're talking about ordinary novels, you can easily store a couple of thousand on a device with 4GB storage.
+1 on this, I just picked up 2 more of the original H2O readers as Christmas gifts in part because of the expandable storage. They're great little devices.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post

Try reading books about food which are almost as bad as manga or comics for chewing up space. When we were talking about the original Nook GL 3 firmware, it would have taken the 5 largest foodie epubs in my collection to fill the 950MB of sideload storage. With the latest beta firmware removing the separation, the Nook GL 3 is a more attractive device for Americans (IMHO).

As for finding books? If I can remember even part of the author, series or title, the search function on my Aura One works well for me with ~3200 books currently loaded as it does when I use my H2O with it's ~8200 books.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote