Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
ALinkToTao
ALinkToTao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
E ink with text to speech?

Preferrably with a headphone jack and external SD card slot running android.
ALinkToTao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinkToTao View Post
Preferrably with a headphone jack and external SD card slot running android.
Amazon's Kindle has that ability. At least some of the ones I've had do.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I disagree. not the new ones anyway. get an old one off goodwill. maybe a kindle keyboard. but that has no card slot.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Guys the kindle doesn't have Android or an SD slot.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:28 AM   #5
razashaikh
razashaikh began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'll pick Kindle.
razashaikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Guys the kindle doesn't have Android or an SD slot.
No. But Kindle Touches handle Text to Speech (in supported eBooks) and have speakers and headphone jacks. I don't know if there are any new eReaders that would meet the OP's requirements. (Maybe something that sells in Europe?)
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
No. But Kindle Touches handle Text to Speech (in supported eBooks) and have speakers and headphone jacks.
But that's a device that hasn't been sold for years. Even if the OP could find a secondhand one, its battery is going to be in a poor state.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #8
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The Pocketbook Touch HD has a headphone jack and Micro SD card slot. For a combination with Android you need to look at manufacturers like Onyx.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But that's a device that hasn't been sold for years. Even if the OP could find a secondhand one, its battery is going to be in a poor state.
I know, and that (to me) is a plus. I've bought several (for friends and relatives) and – so far – I've never run into a bad battery or one that won't hold its charge. My Kindle Touch (with lighted cover and Constantia font) is probably my favorite eReader. And replacing batteries on these appears very simple (and inexpensive, about $8 or $9 for a battery, including shipping).

That said ... if my eyes could tolerate the front-lit eReaders, I would probably use a Paperwhite or a Voyage for .mobi books and a GlowLight 3 for ePubs.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
The Pocketbook Touch HD has a headphone jack and Micro SD card slot. For a combination with Android you need to look at manufacturers like Onyx.
That's a pretty nice looking Reader.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If your number one need is text-to-speech, get a Kindle basic. It's cheap, works with bluetooth speaker just fine. For a headphone jack, as mentioned, the Kindle Touch (and the Kindle Keyboard) would work as well, but having all 3, the text-to-speech on the current basic is superior. Batteries are not a problem. Lots of videos online show they are easy to replace and there are several companies providing them.

If you must have a unit that has an SD card, you are SOL without a tablet. Kindle, Nook and Kobo current models do not have SD card and text-to-speech. You need a tablet for that. As I use text-to-speech all the time due to vision damage, my suggestion is to get the Fire and when there is a sale on, get the Kindle basic for those times when glare is an issue.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:54 PM   #12
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Is there a new one that has text to speech?
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
Is there a new one that has text to speech?
If you mean like the old TTS in the Kindle Keyboard and Touch, no I don't think so. The Kindle Basic uses VoiceView, but that's for more than just reading, it's also a way to navigate around in the Kindle 2013 -- which is kind of "clunky" if you don't really need it (if you're not visually impaired). On the other hand, it appears that VoiceView will read books that are not TTS enabled. When trying out VoiceView I had a book that wasn't TTS enabled (wouldn't read on my Touch), but VoiceView was able to read it. To be honest, the only time I "use" this feature is when I'm trying it out. So I'm not as up on it as I should be.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
ALinkToTao

I understand that rooting devices is not for everyone, but if you know what that is or are willing to try it, the Nook Simple Touch is a really cheap e-reader that can do a lot. You can also get them on eBay right now for under $50.

The Nook Simple Touch (NST) is probably the most well developed and hackable ereader with custom roms that include usb otg audio and text-to-speech (which will sound great if you use IVONA).

The Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight (NSTG as it's referred to on xda) is pretty much exactly the same as the NST, but with a frontlight. After all of my research, I'm going to go on this road this year, and get it going.

Check this out: https://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2012...ed-nook-touch/

Also, check this out: I have this linked post quoted below.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate NST View Post
You do have an adapter that specifically says "OTG"?
You are using the UsbMode application (as above)?

Plug in OTG adapter & keyboard
Go to UsbMode
Hit "Off"
Hit "Host"
Did the green LED on the Nook go on solid? No => hit "Peripheral", then "Host"
Now the green LED is on
Does it say "keyboard"? No => unplug keyboard from adapter, then reinsert.
It shows keyboard.

If you can never get the green LED to go on solid:
Are you sure that you have an OTG adapter there?
You did hit "Off" before "Host"?
You did try "Peripheral", then "Host".
Try with just the OTG adapter to get the green LED on.

It should not be that tricky to get the keyboard recognized.
It is a bit more tricky to get it using USB and charging when using a back-powered hub (for advanced users).
That entire thread shows a ton of development with the NST, and there are tons of great threads about it on xda.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #15
ALinkToTao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If you mean like the old TTS in the Kindle Keyboard and Touch, no I don't think so. The Kindle Basic uses VoiceView, but that's for more than just reading, it's also a way to navigate around in the Kindle 2013 -- which is kind of "clunky" if you don't really need it (if you're not visually impaired). On the other hand, it appears that VoiceView will read books that are not TTS enabled. When trying out VoiceView I had a book that wasn't TTS enabled (wouldn't read on my Touch), but VoiceView was able to read it. To be honest, the only time I "use" this feature is when I'm trying it out. So I'm not as up on it as I should be.
A lot of the new reader apps support Text-To-Speech as long as you have the hardware/software for sound and your device can install the apps (helps if it is rootable).

IVONA is a great app that is compatible with anything past Android 1.6. It provides your device with a better voice than say picoTTS, which sounds really robotic. It sounds pretty realistic and is definitely not intolerable to listen to. It sounds 95% human, I would say and has decent expression of punctuation. You will be able to install it on anything that has google play access or can sideload applications. A rooted device is usually able to do this.

I study spanish and greek and it helps me to be able to read along with the text and hear the words vocalized. It really speeds up my language learning. IVONA has english and spanish, but no greek. But they have a lot of other languages. If you can get ahold of an apk and the obb files, it will totally run.

Last edited by ALinkToTao; 12-30-2017 at 02:36 PM.