Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
What is the merging logic?

Hi

I am really confused about how book merging works Sometimes Calibre merges to first selected sometimes second selected sometimes, order does not matter.

What is the logic of merging order? The reason I want this to be on certain order because sometimes when I merge books one has a cover the other one does not, or I might prefer one cover over other. WHen it is arbitrary I loose cover or other details sometimes

To me it seems like it does not follow the selection order at all even though it says that is what is going to happen.

For instance

-I selected pdf then epub, press "m" or "alt-m" or "shift-alt-m", it says merging to pdf.

-I selected epub then pdf, press "m" or "alt-m" or "shift-alt-m", it says merging to pdf.

As you see the result it the same.

I am using 4.24.2 on Linux x65

Last edited by loviedovie; 06-04-2018 at 02:00 PM.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC it is the top one that is the destination.
I think the instructions elude to the first selected is the destination

But if it is just the cover (and it had been embedded either originaly or by you), open the MDE: select the format that has the desired cover: click the blue book (on the top left of that area)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@theducks

What is "top one" in this context?

Like I said the select order makes no difference, and Calibre pretends that it makes a difference. You can see in the popup window or in the menu part. I do not know how else to describe the issue.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
@theducks

What is "top one" in this context?

Like I said the select order makes no difference, and Calibre pretends that it makes a difference. You can see in the popup window or in the menu part. I do not know how else to describe the issue.
Top position IN the list (as sorted) . Yup! that one got me too
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
{ . . . ] Yup! that one got me too
- still does

IMO drag-n-drop would work well for this -- drag the book line you don't want to keep into the book line you do want to keep.

Having to disturb the current sort order to force the book line you want to keep to the top of list seems out of line with calibre's normally intuitive UX.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:57 PM   #6
loviedovie
Addict

Word Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
- still does

IMO drag-n-drop would work well for this -- drag the book line you don't want to keep into the book line you do want to keep.

Having to disturb the current sort order to force the book line you want to keep to the top of list seems out of line with calibre's normally intuitive UX.

BR
Old 06-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me, steps I tried:

1) Click book number 5

2) Click book number 1

3) Select merge: Target book is book number 1

4) Click some other book

5) Click book number 1

6) Click book number 5

7) Select merge: Target book is book number 5

I agree D&D would be nicer, but IIRC there were some technical problems that made implementing it a little hairy, but it may be worth another look, open a bug report for it and I will get to it when I have the time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:56 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I agree D&D would be nicer, but IIRC there were some technical problems that made implementing it a little hairy, but it may be worth another look, open a bug report for it and I will get to it when I have the time.
Done.

BR
Old 06-05-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
loviedovie
Addict

That definetely does not work for me, that was the original point that I was trying to make. I guess time to bug this.

Is there a specific "click" that you are using here? I am in cover mode and I tried ctrl selection and shift selection.

Btw I am trying to merge books with different formats if that makes sense, like pdt and epub into one record.

Quote:
Works for me, steps I tried:

1) Click book number 5

2) Click book number 1

3) Select merge: Target book is book number 1

4) Click some other book

5) Click book number 1

6) Click book number 5

7) Select merge: Target book is book number 5
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am in book list mode and I use Ctrl+click, not shift+click,
Old 06-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
loviedovie
Addict

Ok, so this only work in list mode. It does not work in cover mode. At least that is the case on Linux x64 3.24.2

Quote:
I am in book list mode and I use Ctrl+click, not shift+click,
Old 06-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...726bf6ed4c3689
Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Hey guys, I found this at github ==>> https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...363b16bd374c63

Thanks Kovid

BR
Old 06-14-2018, 09:22 PM   #14
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
I came here today specifically for this problem (merged books into wrong target).

[in book list mode]
I had a bunch of book entries that I merged together. In all cases (since I sorted the list by title) as it happened, the ones I wanted to Keep was the Second title.
ie:

Book1 dup
Book1 Master
Book2 dup
Book2 Master
Book3 dup
Book3 Master

So I would click on the second title, and then use cursor keys to ALSO include the first title in the selection. Then merge them.

In every case it ended up that the First Title became the target/master instead of the Second title.

This happened to about 6 books before I noticed what was happening. So I reverse sorted the list by titles so that the entries I wanted to keep were the first in the list and finished merging the books without problems.

Since I know that I have in the past used Mouse clicks to select books to merger (when they were Not next to each other in the list) and it worked as I wanted, I suspect that because I was using the cursor key (up arrow) to include the dup entry in the selection that this was the cause of the failure, and maybe what caused other people to have the same problem.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:40 AM   #15
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
I came here today specifically for this problem (merged books into wrong target).

[in book list mode]
I had a bunch of book entries that I merged together. In all cases (since I sorted the list by title) as it happened, the ones I wanted to Keep was the Second title.
ie:

Book1 dup
Book1 Master
Book2 dup
Book2 Master
Book3 dup
Book3 Master

So I would click on the second title, and then use cursor keys to ALSO include the first title in the selection. Then merge them.

In every case it ended up that the First Title became the target/master instead of the Second title.

This happened to about 6 books before I noticed what was happening. So I reverse sorted the list by titles so that the entries I wanted to keep were the first in the list and finished merging the books without problems.

Since I know that I have in the past used Mouse clicks to select books to merger (when they were Not next to each other in the list) and it worked as I wanted, I suspect that because I was using the cursor key (up arrow) to include the dup entry in the selection that this was the cause of the failure, and maybe what caused other people to have the same problem.
I think you did it opposite of the way you are supposed to select the dup first then the target for merge
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote