Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 10:10 PM   #61
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Yep - it's wonderful to read on a backlit device, and 7 inches is a great size to read from and to cart around.

Only thing for me is that I find it a tad heavy if I've got to hold it to read for any length of time. I really need for it rest on something.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #62
bobandjoyce
bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.bobandjoyce has met Morla.

Device: playbook
Playbook as reader

There is a keyboard available for the Playbook and it has a fold out (like a picture frame for a table top) and works great for reading.
bobandjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #63
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to see you're enjoying reading on it Bobandjoyce!!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #64
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Forgive the thread necromancy. As this was still on the front page of this forum, I figured, why make a new one?

Just picked up a used Playbook to use primarily as a PDF e-reader.

My Kobo Aura HD will still be my primary e-reader, as I'm a huge fan of its various benefits (e-ink screen, long battery life, feather-like weight) but for PDFs, the Playbook will be a welcome addition to my gaming table.

Had to shell out for a third-party PDF program though (PDF Reader, available at Appworld.) Adobe Reader was just pathetic. Wouldn't even open some of my PDFs, and wouldn't even display a Table of Contents.

PDF Reader works just great, and at $1.12 ($0.99 + tax) doesn't exactly break the bank.

I'm also looking forward to using the Playbook as a video player on trips.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:27 AM   #65
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

@ottdmk good to see someone else on the Forum with a Playbook.

I still use mine because the 7 inch format is just great, and of course it's in colour and PDF's render well with the app you mentioned.

My primary reader is the Glo though, because I find the Playbook a tad too heavy after a while.

I use the PB heaps, and take it with me in my pack and use it for taking videos and internet searching. I use it through my phone ISP and it's so light on the data usage to boot.

Like you I attach it to the tv and watch programs via the internet, and you'd never know that you weren't watching an original tv program or video.

I've had mine since 2011 or so from memory, so it's long in the tooth with respect to technological advancements ..... but Blackberry's were so far out there to begin with that I dare say not too much is different with many brands of tablets in today's market.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #66
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I've had mine for almost a week now, and I'm really enjoying it. I've sideloaded ComiXology, as I'm a comics fan, and it's not bad. I think I'd prefer reading without the guided view, but it's ok. I need to stick my Girl Genius PDFs on there... I think they'll look fantastic.

I'm also trying out Origami Browser; it seems to be more fully featured then the stock Playbook Browser.

Sideloading the Ottawa Citizen's e-paper app is working well. I'll probably still side-load issues to my Kobo for on-the go stuff though. I see the Playbook as more of an "at-home" appliance. Still, I can read the comics on the Playbook, which is nice.

Next up: I think I might spend a few bucks on a DLNA client for the Playbook, see if I can stream some video from my main computer while I'm home. That would be nice.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #67
mishka
mishka began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've most of the posts here on Playbook as a Reader. I may have missed something.
My problem is trying to sideload books and reading them on the PB.
It seems that Kobo is allowing only books purchased from them to be loaded for reading.
I have loaded several books and they show up in the PB directory under (Books) but Kobo will not open them,
Is it just me or is this a PB\Kobo issue?
Thank you
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #68
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
You're right, Kobo on Playbook allows only books purchased from Kobo.

There are some 3rd party readers for Playbook. My favourite is Book Reader. It's cheap and will allow you to read any epub book.

Check out Blackberry World for alternatives.

Good Luck!
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #69
ottdmk
Wizard

Hmnn. I'm of absolutely no help here as I have no plans to ever read novels on my Playbook. The Aura HD is still my go-to device for that.

I will say though that my Girl Genius PDFs look fantastic in PDF Reader, and I've rapidly read through Volumes 1-8 in short order.