Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #1
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Growing Up Surrounded by Books Has a Lasting Positive Effect on the Brain

http://www.openculture.com/2018/11/g...fic-study.html
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:32 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Just proves I'm doing the right thing by sending my grandchildren new books to read every month and building their personal library, including with signed first editions.

I give them signed books because they can be convinced how special the books are and how careful they need to be with them (my grandchildren are 6 and 5 years old and the third is 8 months). And the older two do treat their books better. (The youngest is, of course, too young to grasp the concept, but the signed books are being held for her for when she is capable.)

Each of the older grandchildren gets at least 2 new hardcovers every month; the infant gets 4 board books. Interestingly, the infant will often grab a book and hand it to someone to read to her (at the same time she holds another book that she "plays" with). She really likes the peek-a-boo books; they get her giggling.

As the grandchildren get older and their reading skills improve, I send them harder books to read. Books are a fun challenge for them.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 04:09 AM   #3
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As a small child, I remember walking down the hallways with my head at a 90 degree angle reading the titles of the books that stretched over 3 times my then height. Fun times!
Old 11-04-2018, 05:03 AM   #4
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
We didn't have many books when I was a child, but I can remember my father sitting in the bay window in the sitting room with a pot of coffee and a packet of cigarettes, reading - either the newspaper, or, more likely, a book and my mother nagging him to do something around the house or garden. My mother's family were of the generation that tended to see reading for pleasure as mildly sinful. I won't say that my mother was of that opinion (even though she wasn't a great reader herself), but her aunts disapproved of me sitting around with my nose in a book unless it was for educational purposes.

When I got old enough, I'd be badgering my mother to take me to the library as I'd finished my current batch and wanted more. She ended up putting her foot down - she'd only drive me once a week on Saturday, and if I'd finished everything by Monday evening, tough. Once I was old enough to go on my own on my bike, that was OK.

Of course, I've more than made up for that in adulthood. I've got around 4,500 print books, and probably nearly as much again in an electronic copy. (The numbers of print are going down, and the ebooks are creeping up - we only have so much space in the house and I'm not allowed to move to a house with more book space.) . I'm glad I went for a very plain decorative scheme in the house - if I had anything other than a neutral paint job, the house would look impossibly cluttered.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Who hasn't been caught reading a book under your covers, with a flashlight, on a school night?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
sealbeater
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Who hasn't been caught reading a book under your covers, with a flashlight, on a school night?

Luck;
Ken
I got into so much trouble for that, my mom took away all my flashlights.

However, she missed the owl calculator I had that glowed green for a right answer and red for a wrong one. I don't remember how but I got that green light to stay lit and read with that.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My parents never forbade me from reading in bed.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #8
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Mine neither. Bedtime meant you had to go to your bed and stay there. If you wanted to read or play that was fine as long as you were in bed and quiet.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Yep, I had a bedtime but as long as I was in bed I could read as much as I liked.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
sealbeater
Banned

I never had a bedtime but I did have an issue with falling asleep in class. Didn't matter, I learned more from reading books than I ever did in class.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:21 AM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
My main problem with the linked article is "I like to think all of us here on Open Culture are on the same page as Mr. Waters" and the idea that we should all be bartering sexual favours to get what we want. Such behaviour it is, I suppose, older than writing itself, but I'm still not inclined to condone it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:38 PM   #12
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Looks like someone needs to read a book on how correlation does not equal causation.

Do a study on economic level, and education level of the parents and you'll probably find the same thing.

How bad can it be for NOT understanding correlation doesn't equal causation? Well, one could determine that countries who eat more fat have more heart disease and then WRONGLY conclude that eating fat causes heart disease and launch an entire national health movement to get people to eat less fat....and thus more sugar....and have an epidemic of type II diabetes with 10's of millions of much too early deaths
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #13
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The abstract of the orginal study states "Growing up with home libraries boosts adult skills in these areas beyond the benefits accrued from parental education or own educational or occupational attainment." https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...-research-data

Of course having a 'home library' is a likely indicator of a family that values reading and in fact the researcher are using the 'home library' as a indicator of 'book-oriented socialization' (what ever that means).
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Just proves I'm doing the right thing by sending my grandchildren new books to read every month and building their personal library, including with signed first editions.

I give them signed books because they can be convinced how special the books are and how careful they need to be with them (my grandchildren are 6 and 5 years old and the third is 8 months). And the older two do treat their books better. (The youngest is, of course, too young to grasp the concept, but the signed books are being held for her for when she is capable.)

Each of the older grandchildren gets at least 2 new hardcovers every month; the infant gets 4 board books. Interestingly, the infant will often grab a book and hand it to someone to read to her (at the same time she holds another book that she "plays" with). She really likes the peek-a-boo books; they get her giggling.

As the grandchildren get older and their reading skills improve, I send them harder books to read. Books are a fun challenge for them.
You're a good grandparent rhadin.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

Luck;
Ken
Well I didn't have a flashlight but I did tend to read in bed. Many were the nights when my mom would say, "Put down the book, turn off the light, and go to sleep."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote