Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #1
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Food for thought article Your paper brain and your Kindle brain aren't the same thing

With links to research: https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-...ent-same-thing
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
What a load of crap. It's the same words. I agree that having other things like a flashing advertisement can be an issue. But when reading with no extra stimulus, then i see no difference between reading on the screen or paper. eInk Readers are better than LCD (overall) because you don't get things like pop-up messages, email alerts, text messages, etc.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #3
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Unless readers are using "kindles" in ways I'm unaware of, I think the title is daft. There is nothing on my reader screen to be interfering with immersive reading. In the article's picture, it's the print newspaper reader who is more likely to be distracted.

Neither the article or the linked essay mentioned brain scan experiments to back up the claims. It might be worth pursuing this with the focus on pliable young brains.

As an adult who was reading books before personal computers were invented, I guess I fall in their category of ‘bi-literate’ brain.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
"focus on pliable young brains" maybe their Pulp brains (which would explain a lot) vs their iPhone brains? {Zombie Alert}
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Ok I noticed that at the bottom the author did link to research that showed either differences or no different.
Maybe it was the guy moving his newspaper that was causing the other guy to skim.
I could see getting distracted in a moving vehicle but it has nothing to do with what you are reading on or with.

*This is a very old article from 2014.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
All of these articles claiming that reading on paper is somehow different than reading on an e-reader seem to conflate reading on an e-ink device with reading on a phone, tablet or PC. That article namechecks Kindle several times. But it never really says why reading a book on paper is different than reading the exact same book on a Kindle.

They do mention a study done in Norway, but that link wouldn't open for me. So I don't know if they committed the same sin.

I support public radio, but that article was pretty poor.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
In fact, the article never really addressed reading a book on paper compared to reading the same book on any electronic device. It seemed to be comparing reading books with reading forums or a twitter feed.

You read them differently. Shocking.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
To me reading is reading regardless of the media. I am immersed the same no matter what I am reading, even if it is the back of a can.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The newspaper has more distractions from the noise the paper makes to all the other stuff on the page besides the article being read.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:32 AM   #10
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What a load of crap. It's the same words.
The jump around/down effect might be valid. If so, that implies the person reads the digital page faster, than the physical page.

The other thing that research ignored, is that different types of reading, stimulate different parts of the brain. I've forgotten the specifics, but when one is focused on studying a legal contract, for example, a completely different section of the brain lights up, then when one is reading the latest mind-candy that will be promptly forgotten.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:43 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
The jump around/down effect might be valid. If so, that implies the person reads the digital page faster, than the physical page.

The other thing that research ignored, is that different types of reading, stimulate different parts of the brain. I've forgotten the specifics, but when one is focused on studying a legal contract, for example, a completely different section of the brain lights up, then when one is reading the latest mind-candy that will be promptly forgotten.
I agree that different types of reading material can stimulate different parts of the brain. But I don't think reader a paper copy of the latest James Patterson novel will be any different than reading it on my H2O. Reading on my phine can be different as there are sometimes distractions due to notifications and/or text messages.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The title is not really representative of what the article is arguing. The article is not saying 'paper is better than digital', they are saying there is something called 'deep reading' that is undermined or at least marginalized by a preponderance of 'shallow reading' (twitter, facebook, etc).

As most of us here know, both paper and digital support 'deep reading', but digital is simultaneously better suited to 'shallow reading' (as well as watching cat videos, playing games, messaging etc.).

The more of the latter you do, the less of the former, and some atrophy of deep reading skills is a predictable result. There's nothing very surprising or controversial about that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
As most of us here know, both paper and digital support 'deep reading', but digital is simultaneously better suited to 'shallow reading' (as well as watching cat videos, playing games, messaging etc.).
Not with a single purpose reader like a Kindle or Kobo etc.

I don't mind reading magazine articles, blogs, Facebook, and the like, in my iPad or iPhone. But when I want to lose myself in a book, I use my Kobo.

I also think that many people are able to resist the pull of multi-tasking if they want to. Those times when only my iPhone is available, I can manage to resist the urge to check my email or Facebook, if I choose to.

Staying focused is a skill we can all work on. Even in a world full of "headline" drive-by reading.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Not with a single purpose reader like a Kindle or Kobo etc.

I don't mind reading magazine articles, blogs, Facebook, and the like, in my iPad or iPhone. But when I want to lose myself in a book, I use my Kobo.

I also think that many people are able to resist the pull of multi-tasking if they want to. Those times when only my iPhone is available, I can manage to resist the urge to check my email or Facebook, if I choose to.

Staying focused is a skill we can all work on. Even in a world full of "headline" drive-by reading.
I have no problem getting deeply immersed in my books on my phone/tablet. It is very easy, all you have to do is put them into airplane mode, and no distractions to worry about.

Don't blame the device for peoples short attention spans, and the need to always be in the know.

My phone/tablet are there for MY convenience, no one elses. That's why my phone stays in airplane 99% of the time. I can be easily be reached via email, or good old fashioned telephone.

My cousins berate me because they texted me, and I didn't respond. I said you had the phone right there in your hand, all you had to do was press the dial button for my home phone number and left a message, which probably would have be faster than typing me a text!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My personal concern about the Kindle study is if they took into account the possibility that the results showed normal level difficulties in becoming immersed in reading when getting used to a new set-up.

I know that it can take me a bit to get used to a book with different fonts or style. I have some smallish paper books with whose pages have two columns 5-7 words wide which I find very disconcerting and definitely has made it more difficult to immerse myself in the book.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote