Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #931
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvreviews View Post
Price reduced $100 to $599 now. Thinking if should plunge into this or the new iPAD pro.. Any thoughts?
Not sure if you're aware that on locked down DPT-RP1 you can only read and annotate PDFs.
But with new development at XDA this device is finally whole new world:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...5/post78140924
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:11 PM   #932
Virgilio1
Virgilio1 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthb View Post
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]
http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/pro...RP1/index.html
  • width*height*depth: 224*302.6*5.9mm
  • weight 349g
  • resolution: 1650*2200
  • 16GB of storage
  • support IEEE 802.11a / b / g / n / ac MIMO
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • NFC
  • support PDF only
  • with Digital Paper App to transfer documents from and to PC
Start selling at June 5th(in Japan) at a price around 80000 JPY.
Ich hoffe, sie haben wieder ein flexibles Display verwendet, da der ursprüngliche DPT-S1 sehr robust ist.
Virgilio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #933
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpvreviews View Post
Price reduced $100 to $599 now. Thinking if should plunge into this or the new iPAD pro.. Any thoughts?
I think it all boils down to the eyesight comfort. I use ipad pro in many cases when I need to work with both text, and various editing needs, employ other programs, and also have access to the internet, word, etc.

But if I need only calm reading, especially when the eyes are tired, the calm e-ink is more eyes friendly for me. But there are some folks who are not affected by it.

Also, the whiteness of ipad's text's backgrounds (when it is white, of course) is a little better than the somewhat greish background of RP1. Perhaps the background of CP1 is a little bit whiter, but I have not personally seen it.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:51 PM   #934
John.Dorrian
Enthusiast
John.Dorrian began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle KB, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Not sure if you're aware that on locked down DPT-RP1 you can only read and annotate PDFs.
But with new development at XDA this device is finally whole new world:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/gen...5/post78140924
Anyone tried it in practice?
What PDF app do recommend to install that would have similar functionality to onyx’s PDF reader?
John.Dorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #935
John.Dorrian
Enthusiast

Sony is developing a new Digital Paper that will be released in 2019

According to a notorious ereader retailer.

Sony has finalized development of a new Digital Paper digital note taking device and it will be released sometime in the next six months. It will feature a 13.3 inch screen and will be a replacement for the DPT-RP1 that came out last year.

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...leased-in-2019

Any one has more specific details on this?

I wonder what is the price going to be since Sony received massive discount the screen.

Last edited by John.Dorrian; 03-03-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Advert
Old 03-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #936
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Dorrian View Post
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...leased-in-2019

Any one has more specific details on this?

I wonder what is the price going to be since Sony received massive discount the screen.
Reply moved to dedicated thread on this.

Last edited by robko; 03-03-2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Reply moved
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #937
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Dorrian View Post
Anyone tried it in practice?
What PDF app do recommend to install that would have similar functionality to onyx’s PDF reader?
Why would you do that? Onyx' PDF app is not as good as Sony's
It is the main reason I use the Sony, instead of the Onyx!

But I do use kindle now, to read books.
And Scribd.
Works very nicely!
Supposedly, you can also connect a BT keyboard. I haven't tried that yet.
Not everything works, though. And because of the non-standard launcher and no home or back button its not so easy.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #938
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Does the Sony Digital Paper series still only work with the Sony host app/program, not mass storage?
I'd fancy one of these for PDFs, but it has to work on Linux, or at worst be able to load documents from a local server. I've zero interest in any product that DEPENDS on the Cloud, i.e. Vendor's Server on Internet. The Cloud can be ignored and never used with Kindle (Download to PC and transfer via USB).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 AM   #939
NNN
NNN is on a distinguished road

Device: MessgePad 2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Does the Sony Digital Paper series still only work with the Sony host app/program, not mass storage?
I'd fancy one of these for PDFs, but it has to work on Linux, or at worst be able to load documents from a local server. I've zero interest in any product that DEPENDS on the Cloud, i.e. Vendor's Server on Internet. The Cloud can be ignored and never used with Kindle (Download to PC and transfer via USB).
DPT-RP1/CP1 doesn't work with the cloud, Linux, or as direct storage. Works through the PC/Mac app only.
NNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:51 AM   #940
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So you need a broken OS (win 10), or an overpriced one that might get canned any day (MacOS on x86-64 vs iOS on ARM).
Sony manage to cripple themselves again. I remember the Net MD and the stupid application needed to "check in" and "Check out" the tracks copied to it. Even if your own content. Also inability to copy off your own live interviews except via analogue.

The only reason to not have Mass Storage mode is some strange desire for DRM or something. ONLY being able to use a program to put on PDFs is crazy.
I can imagine the annotation uses a database and that needs a program. It would though be trivial for third parties to access the database if the spec was given.

For a product intended for Drawing Offices, Engineering and Business, their design philosophy to interface to it is crazy.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #941
John.Dorrian
Enthusiast

It would make sense for Sony to develop two versions of next generation digital paper.
One similar to current for corporate users and another for independent users with similar to onyx boox software.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #942
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Most of the cost is the display.
Two versions are not needed.

Two versions of software and packaging practically doubles NRE costs. Once the SW is done there is no extra cost at all no matter how many are shipped.
Also tooling costs and custom chips are astronomical. Again, to sell to corporate and domestic users is no extra cost for one model.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-10-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #943
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
Sony has been working on their Android and iOS apps, lately. You can now load and manage files from these apps, as well. It works well.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #944
88%
Enthusiast
88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
So you need a broken OS (win 10), or an overpriced one that might get canned any day (MacOS on x86-64 vs iOS on ARM).
Sony manage to cripple themselves again.
Quote:
For a product intended for Drawing Offices, Engineering and Business, their design philosophy to interface to it is crazy.
^^^ Pretty much sums it up.

Think it would be interesting to see where Sony would be today had they not had such an adherence to proprietary tech?

For alternatives, do you think you might be interested in an earlier post discussing the rooting of this device over at XDA? I wouldn't have considered the DPTRP1 after I found that you're limited to the using the proprietary transfer, but I'm open to the possibility now if I can get it rooted. If you're lucky enough to be familiar with Linux you may find that this is the way forward.

Alternatively, you might be interested in a DPTS1 if you can find one. I've got one and it's fantastic: fully mountable and its got a microSD card slot. I'm so happy with my DPTS1 that the only reason I'd be interested in the upgrade would be the potential for linking it to a few databases I've got. I don't have the time right now to check into it, but it's on my todo list.
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 AM   #945
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Not just Sony Proprietary, like weird memory sticks on the 8mm digital camera and others, but stupid "anti-copy" decisions no doubt pressured by the Media division. Crippled Minidisc in NetMD and Viao laptops (check in/out tracks, problem if disc lost and only analogue playback of your own interview recordings). Root kits on CDs. Removal of Linux on Consoles. Other stuff too.

I might get a DPTS1 then if I saw one. I once contemplated developing a product with eink. However I've retired from Electronics & Software entrepreneuring, design and implementation.