Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 09:37 AM   #1
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast
Pierre-Olivier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Column "Modified", 99% of my books have the same recent date in this column.

Hello,

I've just encountered a strange thing. I was using Calibre 3.25 (now it has been updated), and I saw that nearly all my books have the same date in the column "modified" : 3 nov 2018. I have absolutely not modified all my books this day, and I wonder how it coud have happened.

It's a real problem, because I use Calibre companion, and and when this column is modified, it downloads the new metadata, and with my huge collection of eBooks, it takes between 4 and 12 hours, depending on the device.

Can someone try to give an explanation.

Thx
Pierre-Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Some actions result in changing metadata for multiple books. A common one is changing the case of a tag, say from "fiction" to "Fiction". That will update all books containing that tag.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Also running Library Maintenance will affect ALL

My guess that you added a book with:

tags in common with the book that were changed BUT it had a different 'case', and Calibre updates the case of the tag
or
it was one of those with dozens of tags with the wrong case, so lots of books got hit

FWIW I use Title case for my tags and I wish Calibre would have a 'filter action' to do that one (it has Upper, Lower, Capitalize)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

Thanks for the answer, but it's not this. I only use 19 tags, and never modified them.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier View Post
Thanks for the answer, but it's not this. I only use 19 tags, and never modified them.
You did not import any books? The Import (read from metadata) can flip case on you. with only 19, the chances of affecting a goodly number of titles is high.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

Of course I import regularly some eBooks.

How is it possible to avoid such global modifications.?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier View Post
Of course I import regularly some eBooks.

How is it possible to avoid such global modifications.?
The cure is more painful than correcting the change.

But take a look at Preferences: Adding books: Adding Actions (a tab)

I have rules to filter Tags (a button):
Capitalize the tag if it matches pattern (.+)
You could choose 'your' what to do style

Modified is mostly an internal flag the the backup OPF is queued for update (also updates a CC sync if you use CC, on the next connect)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #8
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You can change the Last Modified Date to anything you please with the Job Spy plugin.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Another reason for the timestamp to be changed for all books is changing custom columns. Adding or removing them will update them all. Also, changes the set of values for a "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values" will also update everything. That's a behaviour I really don't like. But, it's easy to fix if you want to run from source.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For all the reasons given by other responders I ignore the Modified column entirely.

I have a Last Action Date custom column that I update whenever I do anything that I regard as significant. Because I edit in the book list it's easy to maintain.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #11
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast

yen I've also thought to such a solution, but Calibre Companion use only the "last_modified" column, and it's really a pain when this app decide to download metadata of thousands of eBooks because this column has been modified for an unknown reason. None of the explanation mentioned above can explain such a behavior for my use.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Going forward, back up the LMD for every book en masse routinely so it can be restored in seconds so that CC does not trigger any activity. Job Spy has 56 tools; this is one of them.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:31 AM   #13
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Another reason for the timestamp to be changed for all books is changing custom columns. Adding or removing them will update them all. Also, changes the set of values for a "Text, but with a fixed set of permitted values" will also update everything. That's a behaviour I really don't like. But, it's easy to fix if you want to run from source.
Can someone help by pointing out what code to change to prevent this behavior, for modifying custom columns or editing tags. I have some basic python knowledge and tried to search for it myself with no success.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:48 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
Can someone help by pointing out what code to change to prevent this behavior, for modifying custom columns or editing tags. I have some basic python knowledge and tried to search for it myself with no success.
You want "src\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1946. I change this from:

Code:
if changed:
to

Code:
if changed and False:
I have been doing that for a while with no ill effects.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:24 AM   #15
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

I have been doing that for a while with no ill effects.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. Much appreciated.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote