Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 09:58 AM   #1
ttman21
ttman21 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Nook Color sound problems

My Nook Color keeps losing it's sound. I do a full power down (push power button until screen goes black), then I power it on. I get the power on sound, and I get the slider sound when I use it to get the home screen. All sounds and music work at this point. I can push the power button momentarily to turn the screen off, then push it again to turn it on, and all sounds work. The problem occurs when I let the Nook fall asleep. After waking it from sleep, no sounds work, and I have to do a full power down to restore the sounds. Is this a bug, or is my Nook Color defective?
ttman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I would exchange it. That should not be happening. I don't have this issue.

When you say no sound, do you mean the notification/system sounds or do you mean any and all audio? Can you play music from the music app or Pandora? If you have a video on there can you hear it?

Last edited by SCION; 12-01-2010 at 10:52 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
ttman21
ttman21 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
No sound whatsoever. Pandora has no sound, the music on my micro SD card doesn't play, read to me books have no sound, no keystroke sounds, etc.
ttman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, just making sure. Return it. Someone else had this issue (post on the B&N site). They exchanged theirs and no longer have the sound problem.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
cbnash
cbnash began at the beginning.

Device: 505
I had the same problem, BestBuy exchanged it. Looks like BN has a batch
with this defect out there.
cbnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
s52m3
Enthusiast
s52m3 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Have the same issue, will have to exchange.
s52m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Phellmann
Phellmann began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
Mine had same problem. When input it to sleep the sound stopped working. Power off and it would work. I went through two. The sales guy at BN was very helpful. Said there must be a defective batch. Pulled the third one from bottom of stack and it worked fine. I would guess there will be a lot more of these problems brought to light after the holiday. BN has not admitted to problem as of yet. It will replicate if you put it to sleep in store. Good luck!
Phellmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Ziflin
Ziflin began at the beginning.

Device: nook Color
My wife's had the same problem. I haven't noticed a problem with mine yet. Guess I'l take hers back to the store if they'll exchange one bought online.
Ziflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Ziflin
Ziflin began at the beginning.

Device: nook Color
Just as a follow up. The Nook would actually lose audio whenever headphones were plugged in. Even if the headphones were removed it would no longer play sounds and Pandora was not audible. A full power off/on would restore audio.

We were about to return it, so I reset the Nook (unregistered it) which wipes it clean. I decided to try one more time in the event that B&N people wanted to test it. And oddly now it is working fine. I have no clue why doing a full restore would be able to fix this, but it seems for now.

I also noticed that after resetting hers, she now has 2 new kids books and another sample book from B&N. They never showed up on my device, which seems odd. Oh well.
Ziflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziflin View Post

I also noticed that after resetting hers, she now has 2 new kids books and another sample book from B&N. They never showed up on my device, which seems odd. Oh well.
They could be available via your B&N account online. If so, you can download them. Strange that a sync wouldn't automatically do it if they're available.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:20 AM   #11
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
We had a unit come in yesterday with this problem, and they had this page printed out! Yay to them! I hadn't seen this issue before. We tested it. When the unit was just on, sound was fine. When we let it sleep and turned it back on (all of 5 seconds), there was no sound at all, not even with headphones. Got them a new unit, set it up, and it worked great.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:43 AM   #12
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Are you basically saying that Barnes and Nobles swapped the defective unit right on the spot, in-store?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #13
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I wonder if this is a NOOKcolor issue or an Android application issue, because I've had the same thing happen with Pandora and PowerAmp on a Droid X.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
My 20 minute old nook color has the same problem. Going back in 15 minutes.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Are you basically saying that Barnes and Nobles swapped the defective unit right on the spot, in-store?
Yes. At my store, for now, if your new nook has any problem, we're just swapping them. That might change after January when the official extended return time is over.
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote