Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Ectaco not keen on updating JB regular?

Ectaco has just updated JBL's firmware, again.

JB and JBL both share very similar hardware, except that one is powered by AA batteries and the other is not. What's keeping Ectaco from updating JB regular?

They've said that they'd update JB after they upgraded JBL months ago. But that was a broken promise.

Seems like they've forgotten about us.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Didn't the JB just get an upgrade that included PDF reflow and EPUB drm support?
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
Didn't the JB just get an upgrade that included PDF reflow and EPUB drm support?
Right, so now with the latest JBL update not having those updated features,
it could be said that the JBL is the one being slighted, in the firmware dept.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
What I don't understand is why don't the JBL and the JB have the same firmware. With the iPhone and ipod touch, they have the same firmware, even though the iphone has more hardware in it (camera, phone, gps).
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Number_6
Enthusiast
Number_6 doesn't litterNumber_6 doesn't litter

Device: Barnes and Noble Nook Wi-fi, Ectaco jetBookLite, Nokia N810, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Right, so now with the latest JBL update not having those updated features,
it could be said that the JBL is the one being slighted, in the firmware dept.
Not only that, but they broke something in the latest JBL update. If you return to the main menu on the JBL with the newest JBL firmware any books you were reading will return to page 1 and the font size will go to 16 no matter what font size it was and what page you were on. It seems quality control when it comes to firmware updates over at Ectaco is quite lacking.
Number_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It appears to me that a comparison with phones and PDAs is very apt. At least as far
as the firmware development process and issues are concerned. In fact, as I understand
it, both the JBL and my Mio P550 PDA/GPS have ARM9 processors. I have had occasion
to look into what was involved in making effective changes in the firmware that these
integrated devices run on. It is much more difficult to make changes that would be very
easy on a PC. The Operating System and the application programs are much more tightly
integrated with each other and with features built into the ARM processor.

I don't know what might prevent, at least a common base development package from
being used for both devices. It would seem a logical way to go about it.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-29-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number_6 View Post
Any upgrades after 0.33g are unofficial.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
I just checked the Ectaco site and the firmware for jetBook is now version 0.35g dated June 30, 2010
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #9
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Any upgrades after 0.33g are unofficial.
Unofficial, but 0.35a direct from Ectaco's FTP does work with ADE/ePUB DRM, and tselling's userstyles.css mod makes it even better! JB Lite doesn't have ADE yet AFAIK.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote