Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
New features rock

The new features (particularly handling merging), are absolutely wonderful!

Thank you so much for the updates.

Gwen
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
The new features (particularly handling merging), are absolutely wonderful!
The Merge feature is mine (with lots of help from Kovid) and I'm very glad you like it. Thanks for the post.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thank you Starson ! the merge feature is brilliant. karma to you for that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Cool, there have been lots of great contributions to calibre of late, from various people. chaley and STrason17 in particular
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
The Merge feature is mine (with lots of help from Kovid) and I'm very glad you like it.
Definitely a great feature.

A query on expected behavior: I had two books today where the title was identical, but the author was stored "lastname, firstname" one one book and "firstname lastname" on the other. Should these have been detected as duplicates and merged or is this potentially a new case to test for?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Definitely a great feature.

A query on expected behavior: I had two books today where the title was identical, but the author was stored "lastname, firstname" one one book and "firstname lastname" on the other. Should these have been detected as duplicates and merged or is this potentially a new case to test for?
I've written two similar functions. The newest is the Merge feature, found under Edit Metadata. That function always keeps the author from the first selected book, unless that author is "Unknown", in which case it uses the second author and overwrites the first "Unknown" (unless the second author is also "Unknown", in which case .... 3...4...5 )

You're asking about the earlier function I wrote, which automatically puts a new format of a book into the record of a previous book when the two books have the same author, and a similar enough title. That function only works for exact author matches (or IIRC, possibly ignores case). No attempt was made to match "similar" authors, although the "swap author firstname, lastname" option is used before the match attempt is made.

When I wrote it, I thought about matching similar author names. I also thought about automatically doing a firstname, lastname swap when there is a comma in the author name, but I decided to leave that for later ... partly because I wasn't sure how much Kovid would change things. (For example, I originally had the new book automatically overwrite an existing same format. Now it does not. I was very concerned that fuzzy matching an author might inadvertently overwrite a book format, so I required exact author matching).

I see the author matching with a comma as a reasonable new case to test for, but there is an option that "sort of" does that - the swap option for author name. Plus, it's similar to the question of whether exact author name matches should be required. Do we want "Arthur C. Clarke" to match "Arthur Clarke?" How about "Arthur C Clarke" or "Art Clarke."

In the end, I decided I would write the new Merge function, believing that manually using it to solve any problems with the older one would be the easiest and safest.

Last edited by Starson17; 05-04-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
OK, I understand your reasoning - and I did subsequently use the Merge facility to get back to one entry It was just that I thought that the author swap when a comma was present might be a good idea if it provided an EXACT match.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I love it. Karma to Starson!

I agree with being conservative about matches. Consider the problems Alexandre Dumas père and fils could cause.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote