Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Why I traded my Fire for a Nexus 7

Why I traded my Fire for a Nexus 7

Well ... not me... at least no yet ... ... but a user's opinion ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
From the article:

Quote:
Last, but certainly not least, there are two apps you may want to consider snapping up if you have an Android-powered tablet: SeekDroid and Locate My Kindle. As you can probably tell from the title, both allow you to geographically locate your Android Table or Kindle. The apps cost between $2 and $5, repsectively, yet can save you $200 for a lost tablet.
Don't apps like these need to have WiFi and GPS turned on at the time of loss?

When I carry my Galaxy Player around, both WiFi and GPS are turned off.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
If I were buying a 7" tab right now, it would be a Nexus. Right now, it's the best value in a 7" tab. It wasn't around when I purchased my Fires. Back then, the Fire was the best value in a 7" tab.

I will not, however, replace my Fire with a Nexus. For my needs, it's an incremental improvement over a device I am very pleased with.

I may get my wife a new tab for Christmas. By then, the N7 will likely be eclipsed by other 7" tabs -- possibly even a new Fire or iPad. I wonder if the author of that article will be trading in his Nexus for something else?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I will not, however, replace my Fire with a Nexus. For my needs, it's an incremental improvement over a device I am very pleased with"
This ^

For me it always been about the apps
themselves not the platform
My KF is running every Android App that interests me via sideloading
I Dont particularly care wether its on
"gingerbread" "ICS" or "jellyBean"
Quote:
"I wonder if the author of that article will be trading in his Nexus for something else?"
Probably, some people **Need* to have what ever is new & hyped
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
For me, apps are important but weight and speed even more.

Because I use my Kindle for reading, something thinner and light is more than welcome, same goes for speed and responsiveness.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
This ^
Probably, some people **Need* to have what ever is new & hyped
This ^
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
While the nexus 7 looks nice , ill wait till the kindle fire 2 to be released as my kindle fire can run any app i need a tablet for everything else is done on my Samsung galaxy s2
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
While the nexus 7 looks nice , ill wait till the kindle fire 2 to be released as my kindle fire can run any app i need a tablet for everything else is done on my Samsung galaxy s2
Although that might be true, new tablets (or those updated to new versions of Android, Honeycomb or later) enjoy new app layouts specific for tablets, meaning that they offer a much richer experience. The problem with the KF, NT and Co. is that, being so heavily modified from stock Android, it is a massive development effort to update the software to ICS or later, and more often than not thiese devices don't see any upgrades. Not so with a Nexus device.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
For me, apps are important but weight and speed even more.

Because I use my Kindle for reading, something thinner and light is more than welcome, same goes for speed and responsiveness.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and a Nexus 7. The N7 is slightly larger than the Tab2 but are of the same weight (12oz). The N7 has a faster processor and a higher resolution screen and cost roughly the same.

The point of this is: "IF" I wanted to trade in a Fire it would be for the Samsung and not the Nexus. The fact that Google has buttoned down the Nexus to protect the content providers leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. There is no SD card slot, they have disabled the USB OTG function and they have limited the access from the PC.

I don't have a Fire, but if I did I wouldn't swap it for a Nexus - not that much of an upgrade.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like my Fire. Would I like to have the Nexus 7? You betcha. Am I going to run out and pick one up immediately? No.

If I had the few hundred extra bucks to just blow on a new fondleslab, I'd probably think about getting one. Not as a replacement for the Fire, but as a new toy to play with and I'd probably wind up giving it to the wife since she's been hinting towards getting something like that anyways.

I will admit to wanting new electronics gizmos when they're announced. Every new thing that gets announced (for the most part) is something that I want. But, I rarely get it. I just get excited about tech and phones and slabs and all these other wonderful toys. They're like legos to me anymore.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote