Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
A Question About Library Books

I have loaded some library books on my Kobo. In ADE there is a flag on my book title in my bookshelf indicating how many days left I have my book checked-out for. There does not appear to be any such 'flag' in my Kobo.

Anyone know how I can tell when my library book 'expires' on my Kobo? What happens to the book once it expires (is it just locked)? Can I remove it from my Kobo once it's locked?

Thanks!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I use library books but have none currently, so am going from memory. I don't believe the date is indicated on the Kobo. I think that it is locked after it expires so you can't open it.

I use ADE to remove the library book after it expires from both the ADE library and from the Kobo. Note that the epub remained on my hard drive and I had to manually delete that.

If I have finished it before the due date, I use the little TINY dropdown to "return to library" (may not be exact menu item name.)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I use library books a lot - I have searched high and low on the kobo for a flag indicating how many days are left but there isn't one. I now write the dates on a piece of paper and put it inside the kobo case. And on expiry date the book will lock on your kobo and you can't read it. This seems to happen on the day -you would think it would be the day after but it isn't. However, as I discovered, you can change the date on your kobo (backwards) and the book becomes readable again. But make sure you change it back before plugging it into your PC again as you may hit problems and freeze it up.

I don't make it a habit to change the dates but the first time my book expired on the day it was due and I had a chapter left to read so I changed the date. Now I know they expire on the day so I read faster!
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
pokee
Fanatic

Interesting workaround if you only have a chapter left to read! Thanks for that tip!
Advert