Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Cover With Light: Questions

I have the 505 Reader, and have been using a Mighty Bright clip-on light. I see that a cover is available with an integrated light, but I can't find any photos of it with the cover closed.

How does this cover compare in size/shape/quality to the sleek black cover that came with the Reader? How does the light compare with the 3-AAA Mighty Bright light?

Thank you.

Edit: Sorry, guess the "pocket edition" is not the same as the 505, so I assume the cover wouldn't work with my Reader.

Mod can delete this post.

Last edited by Michele; 05-23-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
The cover with the light adds about 1/2 inch to the width and it is about 50% thicker than the stock cover. Both are the same height. I never thought I wanted the light wedge cover, but once I got one as a gift, I almost never took my reader out of it. It's much better IMO than any light shining on it from above.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Edit: Sorry, guess the "pocket edition" is not the same as the 505, so I assume the cover wouldn't work with my Reader.
A 300 cover will not work with your 505, however a 600 cover might. I've owned both readers, though not at the same time, and they appeared to be very close in size. Perhaps someone who owns both can enlighten us.

There was a light wedge version made for the 505, and I still have one. But it was total crap. It had a thick piece of translucent plastic which used LEDs to illuminate the screen and laid on top of the screen. It did illuminate the screen but the transluscent plastic made the screen look fuzzy and blurry and made it extremely difficult to read.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-24-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
The cover with the light adds about 1/2 inch to the width and it is about 50% thicker than the stock cover. Both are the same height. I never thought I wanted the light wedge cover, but once I got one as a gift, I almost never took my reader out of it. It's much better IMO than any light shining on it from above.
Personally, I don't like the cover light for my PRS300. I can't seem to place the light properly so there isn't a glare from it on the screen.

Also, without the cover, a PRS300 will just barely fit in a man's front pants pocket, but the cover makes it too large to fit. For me, portability/stowability is everything (well ALMOST everything!). I much prefer that little foam sleeve that the reader comes with.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just stick with the book light. The 505 lighted cover is not all that wonderful and it makes the 505 awkward to hold and a lot heavier.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree, the light wedge cover weighed too much, felt awkward (couldn't wrap front cover 360 degrees and hold in one hand like original), and the light quality was just okay. If you get enough coverage with your clip-on then stick with it.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #7
Robert Minneman
Connoisseur
Robert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-505
For me, the 505 wedge cover is totally awsome. Prior to receiving the wedge cover as a birthday gift I was alternating between a light wedge and various clip on book lights.

The clip on lights were problematic because either I'd end up with the stupid light shining as much in my eyes as on the page, or the reflection glare from the light off the surface of the lcd/eink matrix was totally annoying at best, or created a 'blind spot' at worst.

The light wedge was really only good for books because of the reader screen is inset from the metal case causing a gap which made the light wedge mostly ineffective once the batteries became the least bit discharged decreasing the luminescence. Plus the fact that it wasn't mounted but seperate device made it cumbersome to coordinate holding with the reader.

The wedge cover light actually fits inside the metal case resting directly on top of the screen surface, so it maintains readability as long as the batteries are capable of provinding the power for sufficient readable lumens.

I've never really had a serious problem with the added weight of the wedge cover. The only time it's an issue is when I'm dozing off and I drop the reader on my chest/lap/face, but that's my "GO TO SLEEP NOW" alarm, so I consider it a 'feature', not a drawback.

Someone with a stronger structural engineering background may disagree, but I think the wedge cover also offers far better protection for your reader as you end up with at least an additional quarter inch of PVC protecting the most expensive, and most easily broken, part of your reader.

YMMV.
Robert Minneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:03 AM   #8
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There was a light wedge version made for the 505, and I still have one. But it was total crap. It had a thick piece of translucent plastic which used LEDs to illuminate the screen and laid on top of the screen. It did illuminate the screen but the transluscent plastic made the screen look fuzzy and blurry and made it extremely difficult to read.
I second that. I bought one and then sold it on ebay a week later, it was so bad. Back to using mighty bright and a nonamer LED with single head.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love my light wedge, and it DOES wrap 360 degrees.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I agree, the light wedge cover weighed too much, felt awkward (couldn't wrap front cover 360 degrees and hold in one hand like original), and the light quality was just okay. If you get enough coverage with your clip-on then stick with it.
Yes, agree. I have the light wedge cover for the 505 and as was said it adds a thick piece of plastic over the beautiful 505 screen and makes everything much less clear.

I wasn't completely happy with a clip-on light either - I had a bright spot and then darkening at the edges - but at least I could fold the cover back and read one-handed.

Did somebody say they were able to fold the light wedge cover all the way back? How do you do that?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:53 AM   #11
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist

I just fold it over-- no problem.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
When I did that (wrapped the cover) it raised the wedge a bit and made the lighting useless in addition to blurring the text even more.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
[QUOTE=jswinden;925579]A 300 cover will not work with your 505, however a 600 cover might. I've owned both readers, though not at the same time, and they appeared to be very close in size. Perhaps someone who owns both can enlighten us.

I bought my wife a 300, and mistakenly bought a 600 cover along with it. I tried the 600 cover on my 505, and it would work in a pinch, however I found that there was a bit of play between the plastic clips and the housing of the reader. It looks alright, but I wouldn't grab it by the cover only...
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I loved my light-wedge cover. Like Wesley, I'd just fold the top cover underneath. I thought it made it easier to hold. And I found the lighting more even than the Mighty Bright and the Sony PRS300 cover.

I love the size of the PRS300, but I do miss the light-wedge cover.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Oh I see; we're talking about 2 different things. Yes, I can fold the cover behind the reader while using the light. What I meant was when you don't want the light; you can't just fold the whole shebang, chunk of plastic and all, behind the reader.

Last edited by pendragginp; 05-28-2010 at 08:53 PM.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote