Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Can't disable Clean Source ?

When I open an epub, I get a prompt that it's invalid.
I click Close to get rid of the prompt, and the book opens in Sigil.
I then save it and get prompted if I want to save changes.

I have Clean Source disabled on both Open and Save, via the Edit=>Preferences menu.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No, you do not miss something. Sigil finds something not in order with the book when you open it. So, if you open it, it tries to fix it. Hence the changes to be saved.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #3
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Darn it.

Going to have to try to find the version that I used to run then which didn't do that.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony.burton4 View Post
Darn it.

Going to have to try to find the version that I used to run then which didn't do that.
They all pretty much did it. They just didn't warn you about it before hand.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

No for sure I remember having the same issue before, and wondering why it asked me if I wanted to save changes.
Then I found how to disable the auto-correct facility.

Now it appears you cannot disable it.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why would you want to keep errors in your epub?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No for sure I remember having the same issue before, and wondering why it asked me if I wanted to save changes.
Then I found how to disable the auto-correct facility.

Now it appears you cannot disable it.
I think you're missing my point: in older versions, Sigil would silently fix certain errors open opening. The user usually had no clue whatsoever that this was happening (hence silently). Now Sigil is offering you a say in the matter.

Chances are (as long as older versions of Sigil didn't bark about the epub); if you allow Sigil to fix the "errors" upon opening the epub, it's probably just going to add a doctype declaration to the top of the html files.

Basically your choices are: let 0.7.3 "fix" the epub--once, or roll back to an earlier version of Sigil.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Toxaris

The old version would NOT let you save at all if there were basic (malformed) errors.
This version will save, but it keeps nagging until they are gone.
This is base HTML errors, there can still be CSS errors and/or EPUB errors

And as always. User style and spelling errors
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sigil 0.7.3 asks to fix errors if it finds non-breaking spaces that are not using the &nsbsp; entity and converts them to said entity. Previous Sigil versions converted them spaces.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

If I just want to look at a book quickly, I don't want it changing by Sigil. Allowing a programme like Sigil to change a book involves me putting trust in it that it won't screw something up. I don't have that level of trust. When I want to change a book in Sigil, I change it and then test it to make sure it still works ok. When I'm just scanning a book I don't want to put that time in.

Previous version DID indeed silently change a book, but you could disable that so that it didn't occur. And if you didn't disable it, you DID find out the changes had been made, but only when you saved. Sigil didn't silently update the file on disk without telling you!
Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard

It never updates or updated files silently. You always needed to confirm it with a save. No save, no changes. That is not different from now and then.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Previous version DID indeed silently change a book, but you could disable that so that it didn't occur.
Unfortunately that's where you're wrong. Even with clean source disabled there were ALWAYS certain scenarios where code was going to be altered when saved--regardless.

I admit how it's bring handled can be a bit awkward and confusing, but the fact of the matter is: 0.7.3 is the very first version of Sigil that will not let you save an epub that it altered without notifying you that it did so; and certain things it has to alter if you want to use the current version to edit your epub (even with Clean Source disabled). Now it's up to you if you want to let it, or go a different route.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Please read my OP.

I am not referring to what happens when you "SAVE" a book. I'm referrring to what happens when you open it:

The previous version allowed you to open a book, and then close the program, with no prompts whatsoever, and of course no changes saved. You had to disable a setting in order to get this though.

The current version, prompts you when you open it, and then prompts you when you close it. If you just want to look at a book without making any changes, you have to contend with 2 pop-up alerts.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Please read my OP.

I am not referring to what happens when you "SAVE" a book. I'm referrring to what happens when you open it:

The previous version allowed you to open a book, and then close the program, with no prompts whatsoever, and of course no changes saved. You had to disable a setting in order to get this though.

The current version, prompts you when you open it, and then prompts you when you close it. If you just want to look at a book without making any changes, you have to contend with 2 pop-up alerts.
Some people need reminding there are problems.

Why are you using Sigil just to 'Look'?

There are other tools that show the whole book, not just a single file inside. Calibre-viewer, ADE, Firefox withe EPUB Reader are the ones on my system
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If there's something Sigil deems "wrong" with the epub, then yes, that's correct.

People understand that and are simply trying to explain to you why you might have to contend with that on certain epubs in the new version.

Since looking without changing is still possible, then I take it that your only real objection is the warnings themselves? If so, I guess we're done here. You've stated your dislike and perhaps someone will address it in a future version. I know user_none had a plan at one time to address the nbsp character issue by converting them to numeric entities rather than named entities--thus ensuring that it's not Sigil's behind the scenes manipulations themselves that result in the doctype declaration becoming mandatory.

But unless more contributors step forward to submit changes, it sounds like new features/changes/releases may be very slow in coming.