Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #16
windspeedo
Enthusiast
windspeedo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000, Kindle 3G, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
You could try Instapaper, using the Glo's browser to grab the .epub.
I could download the epub file from instapaper in the desktop chrome. Not in the Kobo browser. Just nothing downloaded after clicking the epub icon in the Kobo browser. At last Kobo freezed after I trying to download the csv file.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited by windspeedo; 01-14-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: add more information.
windspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #17
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Of course features relying on Amazon's servers wouldn't work, like emailing personal documents or cloud storage... Please keep the thread on-topic as much as possible, though
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #18
Shurup
Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Android Kindle / Kobo Apps, Kobo Mini, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
So you would give up the ability to read epubs? Why on earth would you want to do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by koenieee View Post
Yes, I'm wondering the same...
I buy all my books from Amazon and sideload into my Kobo Mini with Callibre. The book store is bigger and for whatever reason the books are cheaper too. If I had a Glo, I would've been interested in this Kindle port.
Shurup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurup View Post
I buy all my books from Amazon and sideload into my Kobo Mini with Callibre. The book store is bigger and for whatever reason the books are cheaper too.
Have a look at the Kobobooks discount codes thread. I rarely buy books without a 30-40% discount, thanks to the helpful work people are doing there! As far as I know, Amazon doesn't offer this, or very rarely.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:32 AM   #20
Shurup
Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Shurup is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Have a look at the Kobobooks discount codes thread. I rarely buy books without a 30-40% discount, thanks to the helpful work people are doing there! As far as I know, Amazon doesn't offer this, or very rarely.
Thanks! Will definitely check it out.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #21
Shurup

Umm... Sorry, not sure where to look. I've checked on www.kobobooks.com but where is discount codes thread? Or is it a thread somewhere on this site?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115233. The first post has the current codes. The rest is discussing the different codes as they come up.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #23
Shurup

I do get emails from Kobo once in a while about books discounts, is that what you mean? I was unable to find books of my interest in the discounted section unfortunately. Amazon has also discounts once in a while and sometimes they offer a first book of the series for free, if you get hooked and want to keep reading you'll buy the rest still saving a few buks on a freebie.

Same title is cheaper on Amazon than Kobo, not by much but why to pay more? If it's not possible to buy a book YOU want with a discount, why bother with other discounted books if you're not interested. Or am I completely wrong here??? Sorry been buying from Amazon for ages, just recently got a Kobo Mini but keep buying from Amazon as I'm also got used to using their store.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #24
Shurup

Thx David I've checked your link, ignore my previous reply please.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've made some progress on this. The good thing is, the code to control the screen is basically the same of kindles. Not identical since amazon has changed some of the definitions to their own, so in order for this to work we'll need a custom kernel or at least a new module to drive the screen.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #26
lollazzo
lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Is it better to port duokan?
lollazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #27
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollazzo View Post
Is it better to port duokan?

That will be straightforward once we have Kindle software running, since it would mean we've ironed out the differences with the kindle platform.
However both will be much harder than the Kindlepdfviewer port that I've made, since the source is not available...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
So what exactly have you managed to do so far?
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #29
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm interested in that as well. Did you get Xorg to run? I can start it but it doesn't seem to display anything.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #30
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch
To answer myself: Yeah it runs , at least xarclock as can be seen in the picture. That was the first armel X11 application that I found in the debian archives. I'm actually thinking about trying to get Debian to properly run on the Kobo Touch, it seems that a few people already did this for the Kindle and it would be pretty amazing.

I had to adjust the Kindle xorg.conf to use the Kobo Touch RGB565 format and disable rotation, and fix a few minor things (missing directories since the init scripts weren't run and manually extract the xcb cramfs), but now I can just start X and display stuff. This opens a whole lot of new possibilities, I never realized that there was a working Xorg driver for this display.

The only thing that bugs me about this is that to refresh the display, I still need to use pickel to update the screen, thanks a lot to KevinShort for figuring this out. Look at eink_update.sh of his Kobo Weather display to see how it works.

Oh yeah and about running the Kindle software: It seems that it's not trivial to run upstart in a chroot, so that might be a hurdle. Does anyone have any idea what to do about that?

/etc/xorg.conf:
Quote:
Section "Serverflags"
Option "DontZap" "true"
Option "DontVTSwitch" "true"
Option "DontZoom" "true"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
Option "NoPM" "true"
Option "IgnoreABI" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "EinkPanel"
# DisplaySize 91 121
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Kscreen"
Device "eink"
Monitor "EinkPanel"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 8
Visual "StaticGray"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "eink"
Driver "imx"
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"
# Option "FormatEPDC" "Y8"
Option "FormatEPDC" "RGB565"
# Option "Rotate" "CCW"
Option "NoAccel" "true"
Option "BackingStore" "true"
Option "debug" "true"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
# Identifier "keypad"
# Driver "evdev"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
# Option "CoreKeyboard"
# Option "AlwaysCore"
#EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Kindle"
Screen "Kscreen"
# InputDevice "keypad"
EndSection
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130126_145908.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	100080  

Last edited by ah-; 01-26-2013 at 09:15 AM.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote