Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #76
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
You're missing the point.
Dishes appearance on restaurant menu's pictures isn't "THE main content" you expect from those dishes. Main content is usually the taste.

Which is the main content of the iPad 3? The display.
Readability in bright light conditions IS a CORE feature related to THE main content of the new iPad.

It's not like you lie about the wi-fi or gps capabilities.
Now, if everyone was (and is) ok with the iPad's and all the other tablets' scarce readability in bright light -direct or not- WHY do you need to lie about it?

This is the point I don't get. The first hypotesys was narcissism, and I didn't find any better already.

There's another hypotesis we can do: the coming of the New Digital Gadget is like a religious event. And when it comes to religion, one doesn't complaint about the paranormal look of the Divine, in the representations people make of it.
When you order that delicious looking big Mac from McDonald's, that looks nothing like the image when you get it, and doesn't taste as good as the picture looks, how is that not the same? Is it different if you like the company? Do you take the time to go through every advertising scheme for every tablet there is and write and complain about it? Does it say on the features :readable in full sunlight?

Ftr, I layed out in the awesome sun today and played on my new iPad. I successfully internerded, played cut the rope, machinarium , and installed remote and played iTunes from inside the house. Full sunshine, still readable. not as readable as now,inside, in a dark room, but nothing to huff and puff over.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #77
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That guy in the video is in the shade. Probably a lot of shade considering they are shooting him. Whats questionable about being able to see it in the shade? Or. Any LCD screen in the shade?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 AM   #78
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
That guy in the video is in the shade. Probably a lot of shade considering they are shooting him. Whats questionable about being able to see it in the shade? Or. Any LCD screen in the shade?
They've chosen to simulate the image anyway. Looks like it doesn't look as good even in the shade.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:49 AM   #79
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Sorry but I cannot consider any McDonald or similar like a proper food. I wouldnt ever eat it more than once in a month.

Yes, I apply the same kind of critique to all of the products I know (you may check all my posts about Kindle DXG or EctacoJetBook Color). I do not support the consumerist fundamentalism (semper buy), although I must accept it like a sign of our times.

Isn't Apple considered the leader in this kind of market? Why should I accept their misleading ads? Just because it happens in the 80% of the times, when it comes to mass production? But no other tablet gets this much hype, so I have expectations according to this.

But I'm afraid this leads us out of focus. This isn't a thread about the market in general (I won't repeat myself now).

The guy is in the shade, yes, but he's in a place (the beach) where even the diffuse light is strong, and lcd screens look dark. To look like that, he should probably be sitting under a porch (with a wall behind his shoulders), not under a beach umbrella near the sea. And that is not the only misleading image in the ad.

Since what I've seen 'til now, iPad 3 is exactly like (or very very similar to) the previous when it comes to glare and oudoors visibility. It is not capable of doing what they depict in their main ad. If you feel it's not like this, you may post a video of it, if you have the time for that. I'd be happy to see that I'm wrong, because repeating the same things is boring :-)

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-20-2012 at 04:07 AM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #80
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I think most of us know that watching any backlit screen in direct sunlight is painful and near impossible but there are many folks that don't.
My Clie NX was usable in direct sunlight. The colors got washed out, and the blacks went gray, but it was definitely readable. I remember reading on the bus and when we went through sunny areas, it would still work. To improve the contrast some more, I would turn the backlight off entirely at such times. Not great, but definitely not "painful and near impossible".

Even Apple knows how to do it. My Powerbook 190, which has a backlit grayscale screen, is readable in direct sunlight. I think the intermediate grayscales mainly disappear, but full black remains readable. Again, you can improve contrast by turning the backlight to zero.

In direct sunlight, neither is nearly as nice as eink; but in a murky room, with backlight on, both are nicer than eink, and I spend more time in murky rooms than in direct sunlight (most of the time when I'm in my office, I don't bother to turn on the lights).

Last edited by pruss; 03-20-2012 at 11:33 AM.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #81
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
...Ftr, I layed out in the awesome sun today and played on my new iPad. I successfully internerded, played cut the rope, machinarium , and installed remote and played iTunes from inside the house. Full sunshine, still readable. not as readable as now,inside, in a dark room, but nothing to huff and puff over.
I'm glad to hear the latest iPad is readable in sunlight. I still have the first generation, and on a bright day, even in the shade the readability isn't anything to write home about; mainly because I can't see the screen to write about it. But indoors it rocks.

I'd love to have a third generation with that awesome new screen everyone's talking about.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #82
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Here ya go, just took this. Now I'm NOT under an umbrella, I am under a patio, but I put the ipad in the sun. Its not as visible as the video, but its not complete garbage either. Of course the video was also likely shot with a UV filter so maybe if I wore sunglasses it'd all be good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	84286  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-20-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Graphic too wide. Changed to thumbnail attachment.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #83
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the photo.

I may be wrong, but my eyes here do not see anything similar to a summer light on the beach, and there's already a big difference from the vid...

Look that I'd truly be very happy to own a so nice display to allow me comfortable outdoor readings

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-20-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #84
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

You're right, since the iPod is in the sun and not completely in the shade like it is in the video
Facing the sun though, it's reflection hell. I wonder why they don't make the glass with a slightly matte finish?
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #85
lorenzoens
ex se ens

I guess they could sell proper removable plastic films... They'd be pricey, but they'd do their dirty job!
I've read somewhere that there has been a slightly improvement about the reflections from the previous iPad, due to less distance between the screen layers. According to the source (anche the picture) iPhone is stil a lot better for that.

Sorry can't find the article

edit: look, these pictures have been taken before sundown, in outdoors: the iPad (2) has a protective film on the screen and there's no reflection on it

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...3&d=1332116163

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1332263224

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #86
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Ohhh that's great! I might have to get one of those.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That really shows how poor the colors are with the Jetbook Color.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #88
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If I did get an iPad it would probably be worth spending $20 for an anti-glare screen protector.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/clear...play-film.aspx

Actually, the difference between the MacBook Pro Hi-res glossy and anti-glare screens are $50. I'm not sure if the new iPad already has an Anti-glare coating... bit I expect not because it does mute the colors a bit.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #89
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That really shows how poor the colors are with the Jetbook Color.
Seems to me that Triton's washed out colours are one of the smallest troubles that currently affect the JBC. It'll be improved with future updates, but the price seems huge for what it does.

The film on that iPad 2 is this
Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #90
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I honestly do not bring any 500+ device to the beach. And I rarely use the iPad outside of the comfort of my own home and sofa. If I want to read outside, I use my Kindle. But, maybe that's just me.

Also, I find lot of troubles even reading or using my Samsung Galaxy SII phone outdoors. It is barely readable, even with max. brightness. Plus I don't usually call or use a smartphone while walking in the middle of the Texas sun ... ... If I need to use my phone I'm probably at home, in my office, or any other place, indoors.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, fake, ipad, outdoor