Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
anfisco
anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kindle 3
Calibre 0.8.8 in Ubuntu?

I have a dual boot computer with Win XP and Ubuntu. I had an old calibre install on the Linux partition, but mainly used Windows for calibre. I have just updated Ubuntu to 11.10 and found it updated calibre to what appears to be 0.8.8. Could this be correct: it appears to function perfectly well?

My thanks to Kovid, John Schember and everyone else who has contributed to this great program - including whoever updated calibre for the Ubuntu repository.

anfisco (aka Jim)
anfisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That is quite an old release of Calibre. You might be better off updating Calibre directly from the Calibre site rather than using the one from the Ubuntu repository.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
anfisco
anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.anfisco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thanks for the clarification. I had mistakenly regarded 0.8.8 as later than 0.8.23.
Best wishes to all.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
anfisco

I'm still puzzled. I uninstalled calibre 0.8.8 (?) with Synaptic. I installed from the latest binary for Linux; in the terminal the messages said that 0.8.24 was being installed. When I run calibre it looks OK, except that the message in the bottom left still says that it's 0.8.8.

Further advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
anfisco

After reading dwanthny's advice on a similar query, I think I'm starting to figure it out. Installing from the repository put the files in /usr/bin, whereas installing from the binary put them in /opt.

More expert advice would still be appreciated!
Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anfisco View Post
After reading dwanthny's advice on a similar query, I think I'm starting to figure it out. Installing from the repository put the files in /usr/bin, whereas installing from the binary put them in /opt.

More expert advice would still be appreciated!
I don't run Linux, so I am essentially clueless. That said are you running the calibre.exe file that is in the /opt/calibre/ directory?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 AM   #7
anfisco

Yes, the executable is in /opt/calibre. Files in /usr/bin are now pointers to the ones in /opt. However, metadata seems to be inaccessible.

I think that what I need to do is to delete everything to do with calibre except my library, and reinstall.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yes, the executable is in /opt/calibre. Files in /usr/bin are now pointers to the ones in /opt. However, metadata seems to be inaccessible.

I think that what I need to do is to delete everything to do with calibre except my library, and reinstall.
When you uninstalled 8.8 with Synaptic, did you do the COMPLETE Removal?
(that still leaves the configuration and Library behind )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #9
anfisco

All now seems to be OK, using version 0.8.24, without me doing anything other than closing down and later rebooting my computer. I can only assume that something got corrupted in memory while I was fiddling about previously.

Thanks again to all.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
ptcat60
ptcat60 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Question

Are you able to access your library from both operating systems, this is what I hope to do?
ptcat60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcat60 View Post
Question

Are you able to access your library from both operating systems, this is what I hope to do?
This is fraught with Case sensitivity issues (the Library must live on a accessible (NTFS or FAT32) Windows partition) as the DB shows many missing files on check, because of wrong case. I have also seen Windows Errors when copying, where both filename cases actually exist in the directory (inaccessible from Windows) (The Message: 'Overwrite existing..." when the Destination was empty before the copy started.

I recommend a Pass on this practice.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #12
anfisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcat60 View Post
Question

I have accessed my library from Ubuntu, but not tried to add or change anything from Ubuntu.

I note what seems like good advice from theducks.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I have accessed my library from Ubuntu, but not tried to add or change anything from Ubuntu.

I note what seems like good advice from theducks.
You are correct. As long as you don't do anything that causes changes to the underlying files (like changing Author or Title (or Conversion?)).
Sending book to device should be cool,
Reading in the Viewer should be cool.
Changing Metadata , I would avoid (the OPF file may get re-written and I am not sure what happens then)