Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #496
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
The plastic sticks/stylus usually come with resistive tablets, not capacitive like the Fire.

I saw that the Fire's already been rooted, but I haven't seen the video or details yet. The Verge had a little blurb and had attached a link going to some Android forums for details, but I had to pop downstairs to open the reference desk and haven't had a chance yet. Apparently the Fire does come with a Bluetooth chip, the software just doesn't support it (strange, eh?), so I'm sure some custom roms will remedy that, and then you might be able to get a little Bluetooth keyboard for those who don't like the the 7-inch ones. Of course, a physical keyboard adds weight and is just one more thing to carry.

Can you flip it to landscape and type that way? I prefer the portrait, since I've got small hands. There are keyboards out there called thumb keyboards that let you hold in landscape and type with your thumbs. I haven't tried it yet, but people seem to love them.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:51 PM   #497
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
The plastic sticks/stylus usually come with resistive tablets, not capacitive like the Fire.

I saw that the Fire's already been rooted, but I haven't seen the video or details yet. The Verge had a little blurb and had attached a link going to some Android forums for details, but I had to pop downstairs to open the reference desk and haven't had a chance yet. Apparently the Fire does come with a Bluetooth chip, the software just doesn't support it (strange, eh?), so I'm sure some custom roms will remedy that, and then you might be able to get a little Bluetooth keyboard for those who don't like the the 7-inch ones. Of course, a physical keyboard adds weight and is just one more thing to carry.

Can you flip it to landscape and type that way? I prefer the portrait, since I've got small hands. There are keyboards out there called thumb keyboards that let you hold in landscape and type with your thumbs. I haven't tried it yet, but people seem to love them.
You can flip it to landscape, but the keyboard's still too small in my opinion, although one nice thing about landscape in that it fits really well in the palm of your hand. All of these devices, even the larger ones, conspire to make one-handed typists of us.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #498
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You can flip it to landscape, but the keyboard's still too small in my opinion, although one nice thing about landscape in that it fits really well in the palm of your hand. All of these devices, even the larger ones, conspire to make one-handed typists of us.
Okay now I have it I find it a really nice responsive keyboard. I find it much easier to use then then the Coby one and a few I have on my phone. The Fire keyboard I have no complaints with so far.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #499
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Okay now I have it I find it a really nice responsive keyboard. I find it much easier to use then then the Coby one and a few I have on my phone. The Fire keyboard I have no complaints with so far.
What you said about the responsiveness of the keyboard is true. No complaints there.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #500
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
WT Sharpe - Oh, I agree, larger screens are better for PDFs, and the 7-inch aspect ration doesn't lend itself well to them. However, bigger isn't always better for some users. My fiance has an iPad2 at work and he thinks it's too big. He just doesn't use it, but he likes the 7-inch size. Of course, he does a lot of email and browsing with his smartphone, so zooming in to stuff doesn't bother him at all.

But to prove everyone's got their own taste: One of my classmates uses his Kindle Keyboard in class for PDFs. Has it in landscape, doesn't bring a computer (this class is mostly discussion, since we do all the work online), and just smiles as we all look for plug-ins for the laptops (long class).

If I was getting a tablet for work/school stuff, I'd prefer the 10-inchers. But I don't like reading or watching stuff on the Galaxy that much; enjoy it more with the 7-incher. I think the 8-inch ones would be a nice compromise. I looked at the Vizio 8, but I wanted more than 2GB internal storage (that's what's left to users, and you can't shove apps onto the SD card).
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #501
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

I see what you mean. I love my first-generation iPad for the easy-to-use virtual keyboard, but hate its size and weight. It's much more cumbersome to hold than the Fire. I'd cotton to it a lot more if the characters on the virtual keyboard were a bit larger, but then maybe I'm not unlike those customers who would come in to the Christian bookstore where my late mother worked looking for "a large Bible with small print." Perhaps the tablet I'm looking for resides only in Plato's Ideal realm.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #502
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hello from kindle fire. Damn, its a heavy little guy. I couldn't use his as a reader for more than a few minutes at a time.

And is there a way to bump up the font in the email app?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #503
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So why is the topic saying the Kindle Fire is not a tablet? Maybe it's not. Without a microphone, it isn't all that useful as a tablet. An android tablet should be able to make Skype calls. The Fire cannot. So maybe the title is correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #504
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hello from kindle fire. Damn, its a heavy little guy. I couldn't use his as a reader for more than a few minutes at a time.

And is there a way to bump up the font in the email app?

BOb
Colby 7022 feels much heavier. I can hold the KF without any problems. I know me who can't hold the K3 long can hold this. It makes no sense.

So what do you think so far?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #505
chessico
chessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the roughchessico is a jewel in the rough

Device: Lenovo IdeaPad A1
Kindle Fire VS Lenovo IdeaPad A1

I now have these 2 tablets in my hand. I must say that waiting a year to
purchase any tablet has paid off, as new technology always improves and
comes at a lower price tag. (I never wanted to lug around a laptop!)

The highlights:

The Fire is snappier and has a nice rubberized back that is easy to grip.

The screens on both look great at the 1024 x 600 resolution.

I believe the future of movies is to watch via streaming. I do not want to
be bothered with collecting, copying, and storing zigillionbytes of video.
I can just watch what I want online and spend my precious time on forums!

Netflix is installed on both tablets, and the video is crisp and smooth, with
the wifi connection working continously and flawlessly.

The Android Market for the IdeaPad A1 gives it more openness and flexibility.

There are WiFi File apps that allow both tablets to transfer files to and from
a PC via the wireless connection. Also, both tablets can connect to the PC via
USB for file transfer.

Since the IdeaPad A1 comes with the full version of Docs-To-Go, there is a
companion app for the PC allowing file management between PC and tablet.

The Fire now goes with my Mom, while I am waiting for the release of my
leather portfolio carrying case for my IdeaPad A1 on December 28. Well,
I guess that is the price one must pay for getting the most current tablets.
chessico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #506
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Colby 7022 feels much heavier. I can hold the KF without any problems. I know me who can't hold the K3 long can hold this. It makes no sense.

So what do you think so far?
(had to move to the PC with a real keyboard to type this).

First impression, its too heavy... I thought that when I took it out of the box.

That said, for $200 it seems pretty nice. The browser works well... the touch screen seems response. I do like the kindle reader app. The ability to have so many different fonts, font sizes, and line spacing is really nice.

One strange thing, it doesn't show any of my personal documents and shows the wrong email address to send docs to. Not sure why. Gotta go check my manage page.

Since it is WiFi only and has limited storage space it is mostly a couch or backyard surfer type machine to me. I don't think I would really watch videos on it, it is too small... and I put a 32gb sd card in my android phone for music and podcasts... and that has blue tooth a2dp so it works with stero blue tooth headsets and in my car.

The email app with no way to change the font seems ridiculous. I see others have moved to other apps. I guess I could just use gmail.com in the browser. Hmm... just tried that and it doesn't seem to let me zoom in... strange.

I also have a brand new K4 Touch still in the box to open next. I am 100% sure I will love that and keep it.

BOb
Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #507
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

The email app with no way to change the font seems ridiculous. I see others have moved to other apps. I guess I could just use gmail.com in the browser. Hmm... just tried that and it doesn't seem to let me zoom in... strange.

I also have a brand new K4 Touch still in the box to open next. I am 100% sure I will love that and keep it.

BOb
Quick! Go to the Amazon app store and grab today's free app! The email app is sooo much better and allows font size change.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #508
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

First impression, its too heavy... I thought that when I took it out of the box.

That said, for $200 it seems pretty nice. The browser works well... the touch screen seems response. I do like the kindle reader app. The ability to have so many different fonts, font sizes, and line spacing is really nice.

One strange thing, it doesn't show any of my personal documents and shows the wrong email address to send docs to. Not sure why. Gotta go check my manage page.

Since it is WiFi only and has limited storage space it is mostly a couch or backyard surfer type machine to me. I don't think I would really watch videos on it, it is too small... and I put a 32gb sd card in my android phone for music and podcasts... and that has blue tooth a2dp so it works with stero blue tooth headsets and in my car.

BOb
Well you can use LAN with it so you're not as limited as some may think. ES File Explorer offers this option. So I can grab files off my PC just like I would with a netbook or laptop.

As for the Pdoc issue I reply to that in your other post. I watch a movie on last night. It looked amazing so try it! You get a free month of Prime anyway so you can see how movies will look.

Anyway be sure to get today's app before 3AM EST when it's over. The email app works and looks so much better and it's $9.99 but Free today only.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #509
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quick! Go to the Amazon app store and grab today's free app! The email app is sooo much better and allows font size change.
Thanks for the tip... got it.

I never remember to check the free app of the day... since most of the time it is a game. But, I have got some nice stuff like Superbox Pro, Graffiti Pro, Swift Key X (which I bet would be great for the fire) and Star Chart.. which I doubt will work on the Fire since it doesn't have a GPS or gyro thingy (whatever you call it).

BOb
Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #510
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks for the tip... got it.

I never remember to check the free app of the day... since most of the time it is a game. But, I have got some nice stuff like Superbox Pro, Graffiti Pro, Swift Key X (which I bet would be great for the fire) and Star Chart.. which I doubt will work on the Fire since it doesn't have a GPS or gyro thingy (whatever you call it).

BOb
Keep checking all week they are giving away good apps for the Fire. So far this week it has been Pro version of the office app that comes on the fire, Bejewel 2 and today the email app. So I suspect no junk apps for at least a week.