Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Strange heating effect

I spent quite a bit of time setting up my PEdge, loading apps, renaming the phone apps from *.apk to *.bak , etc. At that point I downloaded the latest Daniel Silva book Portrait of a Spy. The battery was a ~70% at that point. I started reading - the color screen went to sleep, but I noticed that the back of the unit remained pretty warm and seemed to be getting hotter. About an hour later, the unit shut down, totally out of juice.

I put it on charge and got busy with other things. 3 hours later the unit was fully charged so I turned it on and checked my mail, did a little surfing, and went back to the book. It's been on for over an hour, but there isn't the slightest sign of the back getting hot, or even warm.

There's obviously something going on here - some process was running before the shutdown that was taking a lot of power. And it's not running now.

Any ideas? I had to do a hard reset after I renamed Phone.apk, but I didn't do that after I renamed the other phone related file. I'm just guessing here.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone View Post
I spent quite a bit of time setting up my PEdge, loading apps, renaming the phone apps from *.apk to *.bak , etc. At that point I downloaded the latest Daniel Silva book Portrait of a Spy. The battery was a ~70% at that point. I started reading - the color screen went to sleep, but I noticed that the back of the unit remained pretty warm and seemed to be getting hotter. About an hour later, the unit shut down, totally out of juice.

I put it on charge and got busy with other things. 3 hours later the unit was fully charged so I turned it on and checked my mail, did a little surfing, and went back to the book. It's been on for over an hour, but there isn't the slightest sign of the back getting hot, or even warm.

There's obviously something going on here - some process was running before the shutdown that was taking a lot of power. And it's not running now.

Any ideas? I had to do a hard reset after I renamed Phone.apk, but I didn't do that after I renamed the other phone related file. I'm just guessing here.
My unit got hot once. When it does that, turn it off.

I wonder if flipping the screens back to back will cause the cable to flex and break.. not sure if it's related, but a thought.
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
Was the PE folded back to back? I have noticed a heat increase in backfolded configuration and an increased likelihood of the LCD whitescreening out of sleep mode.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
syclone
Zealot
syclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enoughsyclone will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge iPhone 4S IPad 1 iPad 2 Nook Touch 4 Palm Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
Was the PE folded back to back? I have noticed a heat increase in backfolded configuration and an increased likelihood of the LCD whitescreening out of sleep mode.
I've done it both ways. But after recharging and a fresh boot up, the PEdge worked just fine and has now been on for several hours, folded closed, with only the slightest warmth next to the input power jack. This is with the E-Ink screen active.
syclone is offline   Reply With Quote