Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
student2
student2 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max 2
Unhappy Many glitches in my Onyx boox max 2

Hi e-book folk,

I bought an onyx boox max 2 about a week ago and I’m having a lot of trouble with it. I’m wondering if I got a defective model.

Issues so far include;
- Writing with the pen gets delayed for 4-5 seconds, then appears. This is often followed by a crash later that says; “Note is not responding”.
- Writing with the pen sometimes fails to appear at all.
- The keyboard will sometimes only transmit some key presses, despite highlighting indicating that all key presses were registered.
- The keyboard will sometimes fail to appear at all when a text field is selected.
- Third party apps seem unable to download pdfs, or only can occasionally and mangle the filenames when they do. The attempts go like this; click download link, see white screen… wait…. Give up waiting and press back key. Occasionally the pdf will be in the downloads, but mostly not. I have tried waiting 2-3 mins and the pdfs at 10 pages max. The default browser can download pdfs without issue. The same apps (e.g. arxiv) can download pdfs fine on other devices running android 6.
- Once I found the pen was drawing ink lines on the menus… touching the screen seemed to still work normally.
- When a usb is first connected the usb icon appears correctly at the top of the screen. If the “Just connect for charging” option is selected the usb con disappears. It will not reappear if the usb is disconnected and reconnected. The only fix I have found is to restart the boox. My phone (also android 6) does not do this.
- Sometimes annotations from the previous page reappear on the next page. I suppose this could be ghosting, but ghosting is normally quite faint, and none of the text of the previous page is visible, just the annotation.
- Sometimes a small part of the screen wont respond to the pen at all for a bit, then later it recovers with no obvious change.

I got most of these on video; https://vimeo.com/user89934595
I should mention that I’m using the ‘official’ flip book case and an ‘official’ screen protector, so neither of those should cause any issues. It has only ever been charged via a computer, and only with a proper 2 way usb cable.

Is this just what the boox is like or do I have a defective model?

On the plus side, the handwriting is excellent. I can write right between the lines of text on a paper.

Thanks for the advice,
Henry
student2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:22 AM   #2
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
nothing of that is normal.

reinstall the rom to see if that can fix it or sent it back for a replacement
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:35 AM   #3
student2

@whopper, thanks, I love the device otherwise so I'm really glad to hear that the glitches are not normal. The instability of the note app in particular is a killer for me, it's embarrassing and impractical if it crashes in a meeting.

As I'm still in the 14 day distance purchase window I will probably just see if I can get the seller to exchange it.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
student2

Update the seller agrees that this is very unusual and is happy to exchange the device. The want to have the faulty one to investigate.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Hope they will investigate it properly Some of the issues seems to be there since the first Max but they happen really sporadically.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:42 AM   #6
student2

Well if they really were sporadic I wouldn’t mind, all tech has quirks, and even regular pens can run dry, but all of these are inside a week. My phone will randomly reboot a couple of times a week, but as it's ok otherwise it dosn't seem like a big deal. The boox dosn't need to be perfect, just more reliable than what I have seen so far. Hopefully the replacement will be fine, I will update the thread with news when I have had it a couple of weeks.

Tags
glitch, glitches, max 2, problems