Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #16
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Very few ereaders have any kind of warm light adjustment, but most have frontlight.

This is splitting hairs and not helping the OP.
Best to use the correct names. Although the OP may not be looking at all the Kobo models, someone just passing through may appreciate the distinction when looking at Kobo's low end models, or older models.

Many people read the threads, not just the ones posting.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Frontlighting and Comfortlight are two different things. The kindle paperwhites and all lit E-ink readers have frontlighting (only tablets and computers are backlit), but they don't all have Comfortlight. Comfortlight is the ability to filter out blue light, turning the screen an amber/reddish hue. Very few ereaders have this as yet, I don't think any of the kindles do.
John F: But I had already made the distinction between frontlight and Comfortlight (which has become a generic term for blue light reduction, rather than just refering to the Kobo technology.)

This really isn't helping.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Very few ereaders have any kind of warm light adjustment, but most have frontlight.

This is splitting hairs and not helping the OP.
No we aren't. "ComfortLight" is the name Kobo invented when they added frontlighting to the Glo. It is still used for the Aura Edition 2. "Comfortlight PRO" is what Kobo uses for the devices with colour changing and was introduced with the Aura ONE.

If someone is using those terms in other ways, or not referring to Kobo devices, then they are wrong. And not, I don't think it has become a generic term.

Last edited by davidfor; 01-27-2019 at 12:48 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:18 PM   #19
BestBester
BestBester began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I think the new Onyx Boox Note Pro 10.3" could be a good choice so maybe I should wait until it will be available on April.
BestBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #20
mobama
Addict
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Touch HD 2, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1
Possibly the Sony DPT-RP1/B 13” Digital Paper meets your requirements best. It is just for reading technical pdf files, nothing else. No frontlight. No eink device with 13" eink screen comes with frontlight. If you absolutely need inbuilt lights, you are better off with a (anti-glare) tablet.

Next best is Boyue Likebook Mimas, 10.3" eink screen, frontlight, bluetooth, wifi, 3.5 mm audio jack, microSD card slot, Android 6. I do not know of any other device with 10.3" screen that has a frontlight.

Last edited by mobama; 01-27-2019 at 03:27 PM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBester View Post
I think the new Onyx Boox Note Pro 10.3" could be a good choice so maybe I should wait until it will be available on April.
If you don't need something right now, it might be worth the wait. And who knows - something else might come along meantime.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #22
blue_skies
Addict
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Until this year there was no e-Ink device that meets your specifications. The closest is BOYUE Likebook Note shown in our wiki. It was the only 10.3" E Ink device with a front light. The Next one down is 9.7" with poor resolution. There are none anywhere near that size that can vary the temperature. See Blue-light exposure in our wiki.

There is a new device just released that does do what you want. It is called the BOYUE Likebook Mimas.
(Edited because the Likebook Note does have a frontlight, thank you Orebmur.)

The Boyue Likebook Mimas however does have a frontlight - you can even turn it to amber for more comfortable night usage. I have one being delivered today. It is probably the best choice for the OP, unless he/she wants to wait until April or whenever to buy the Boox device with a frontlight.

I ordered the Boyue Likebook Mimas from here - https://ereader.store/en/boyue-likeb...-mimas-43.html - with fast shipping from Germany to the US.

Here is a review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQz5a4DXVTU

And PDF usage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heHDJkndFvc

Last edited by blue_skies; 01-29-2019 at 02:15 PM.
blue_skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:41 PM   #23
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox i86ML Plus, Boyue Likebook Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
My understanding is that the Boyue Likebook Note does not have a frontlight.
Apart from the faster CPU, larger amount of RAM, more recent Android 6 and the white casing, the Mimas is probably not that much different from the Note.

The Note also has this IMHO rather superfluous frontlight feature. I'd rather prefer better software more suitable for academic text work than such pointless hardware gimmicks.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #24
blue_skies
Addict
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post
Apart from the faster CPU, larger amount of RAM, more recent Android 6 and the white casing, the Mimas is probably not that much different from the Note.

The Note also has this IMHO rather superfluous frontlight feature. I'd rather prefer better software more suitable for academic text work than such pointless hardware gimmicks.
Thank you for correcting my error. I got that from a review video the other day, and yesterday I found out that the Note is the basically the same as the Mimas, including the frontlight, but with slightly lower specs. I was meaning to look for my post to edit it, because I remembered that I wrote that it didn't have a frontlight but I wasn't sure what the thread title was.
blue_skies is online now   Reply With Quote