Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
Cambion
Cambion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2 PW2IL
Serial Jailbreak on 5.8.9?

I have a kindle paperwhite 2.

Serial Prefix: 9017
Nickname: PW2IL
Firmware Version: 5.8.9

I have read the thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

As well as:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289164

I have a raspberry pi, having previously used it with a SOIC clip to flash the bios on my laptop. This process looks familiar so my plan is to connect the pins, RX, TX, V, and GND to corresponding ones on the pi.

Before I begin I would like to know if the serial jailbreak is still viable for my firmware version and model.

Last edited by Cambion; 09-24-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Cambion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
yes it is.
but your interface connections are wrong.

The Kindle uses a 1.8volt interface, your rpi does not provide that level of interface.
You need to use a proper low voltage (1.8 volt) adapter.

The Kindle only uses a 3 wire interface:
Tx -> Rx
Rx <- TX
Gnd <> GND

in some of the serial port information you will notice a connection to the adapter of an external 1.8 volt - -
That is a reference for the interface adapter **ONLY** - not power to either device..
Do not try to connect Kindle Vcc to anything else Vcc.

I strongly suggest that you follow the actual directions without any local modifications that you make up yourself.
(Ask yourself:
If you already knew enough to make up your own procedure - why are you reading ours?
I.E: follow our directions or make up your own, do not mix the two.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:36 PM   #3
Cambion

Thanks for the info.

All was going well until my big stupid sodering gun knocked what looked like a resistor off the board.

I won't give up that easy though, Ill be back!

I'm also curious, has anyone tried to soder an sdcard reader to that slot that says sd card?

Last edited by Cambion; 09-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Thanks for the info.

All was going well until my big stupid sodering gun knocked what looked like a resistor off the board.

I won't give up that easy though, Ill be back!

I'm also curious, has anyone tried to soder an sdcard reader to that slot that says sd card?
Not with a big soldering iron.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Cambion

Would this work?

Kindle -------- Raspberry Pi
V / TP1706 <- resistor <- +3V3
TX -> RXD0 / GPIO 15
RX <- TXD0 / GPIO 14
Gnd <> GND

The resistor being 10K to 100K Ohm.
From this post R1: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...643&styleid=19

OR does the voltage need to be applied directly to the TX and RX on the kindle with 1.8V.
TX -> resistor -> RXD0 / GPIO 15
RX <- resistor <- TXD0 / GPIO 14
Gnd <> GND

Last edited by Cambion; 09-25-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Cambion

Using https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...643&styleid=19 as a reference I put together this:

Sorry, I am not the best with hardware hacking so bare with me but does this seem ok?
Old 09-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Would this work?

TX -> RXD0 / GPIO 15
RX <- TXD0 / GPIO 14
Gnd <> GND

The resistor being 10K to 100K Ohm.
From this post R1: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...643&styleid=19

OR does the voltage need to be applied directly to the TX and RX on the kindle with 1.8V.
TX -> resistor -> RXD0 / GPIO 15
RX <- resistor <- TXD0 / GPIO 14
Gnd <> GND
Quick Answer on your first question.
Are you trying to fry your kindle?
It must be the 1.8V.
Anything larger and you are likely to burn out your kindle.
Also get a soldering iron designed for small electronic work.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Cambion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Quick Answer on your first question.
Are you trying to fry your kindle?
It must be the 1.8V.
Anything larger and you are likely to burn out your kindle.
Also get a soldering iron designed for small electronic work.
Thank you I learned the hard way, I plan on using a soldering iron at my university better suited for these things.

I thought the resistors could be used to convert 3.3V to 1.8V.
I realize I can't use the 3.3V as is on my pi because the kindle needs 1.8V.

Let me get this right. The 3.3V from my Pi is converted to 1.8V and combined with the RX from my pi. All this goes the TX of the kindle.

The RX from the kindle is converted from 1.8V to 3.3V and sent to the TX of the PI.

The diodes are to stop voltage from going the wrong way and the ground is the ground.

Last edited by Cambion; 09-25-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

According to the one that is older and wiser, you cannot use your raspberry pi.
The voltage must match exactly. Now please follow the directions EXACTLY.
Get the EXACT parts needed.

I appreciate what you are attempting to do. It more than likely WON'T work.

Since you admitted to not being good with hardware, my best suggestion is don't try it.
Motherboards are a pain. Soldering irons are picky. Solder itself is really tricky to work with. If it runs where you don't want it, you could easily mess up some other circuit.

Just enjoy your stock PW.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #10
Cambion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Just enjoy your stock PW.
I see I came to the wrong forum. Thanks for your time anyway.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Would this work?

TX -> RXD0 / GPIO 15
RX <- TXD0 / GPIO 14
Gnd <> GND
What part of:
*) The Kindle uses a three wire interface
and
*) Do not connect any voltage supply of the Kindle to any voltage supply of anything else
was difficult to understand.

Use the proper adapter, there are several recommendations made in the various threads relating to using the serial port.

Quote:
I see I came to the wrong forum. Thanks for your time anyway.
You are correct.
This is not a forum that teaches basic electricity and electronics.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
Cambion

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What part of:
*) The Kindle uses a three wire interface
and
*) Do not connect any voltage supply of the Kindle to any voltage supply of anything else
was difficult to understand.

Use the proper adapter, there are several recommendations made in the various threads relating to using the serial port.

You are correct.
This is not a forum that teaches basic electricity and electronics.
Obviously I don't understand. Your answers are not clear and slightly above usless.

You seem like you know this stuff, if you spend so much time on this forum why not work on communicating a little bit better.

Im off to learn beginers electronics elsewhere!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Obviously I don't understand. Your answers are not clear and slightly above usless.

You seem like you know this stuff, if you spend so much time on this forum why not work on communicating a little bit better.

Im off to learn beginers electronics elsewhere!
Well, you know that you did not use a bold font on the part of your post that I quoted.
Go back and look at the one line I added the bold attribute to.
It is:
1) a fourth lead on a three lead interface.
2) it ties a voltage supply on the Kindle to a voltage supply on the rpi.
Both of those I warned you about before you spent the time trying to get around paying attention to what you where told.

Translation:
You are going to a lot of trouble to screw up rather than follow directions.
Is that clear enough?

= = = =

No it isn't the time I have spent here.
It is from having done this stuff since 1961 as my "day job".
Old 09-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Well, you know that you did not use a bold font on the part of your post that I quoted.
Go back and look at the one line I added the bold attribute to.
It is:
1) a fourth lead on a three lead interface.
2) it ties a voltage supply on the Kindle to a voltage supply on the rpi.
Both of those I warned you about before you spent the time trying to get around paying attention to what you where told.

Translation:
You are going to a lot of trouble to screw up rather than follow directions.
Is that clear enough?

= = = =

No it isn't the time I have spent here.
It is from having done this stuff since 1961 as my "day job".
Nice of you to confirm I was correct. Thanks.

Now to anyone else reading, there is a good reason for the directions.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
sibero80
sibero80 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, 5.9.2.0.1
*deleted*

Last edited by sibero80; 01-22-2018 at 02:13 AM.
sibero80 is offline   Reply With Quote