Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #16
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It happened to me once, but magically fixed itself (probably due to me adding and removing books).
Just in case it is a crucial system file, a fix/repair would be a good idea!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I get this message in Windows 7 with every external device I've ever attached, including two ipods, several external drives, and several thumb drives -- all of which work fine. I get no such message when I attach the same devices to my Windows XP computers. I think Windows 7 wants to make some change to make itself happy, but I have a hard time believing all of these drives (including some that had recently been formatted!) are actually corrupted.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I get this message in Windows 7 with every external device I've ever attached, including two ipods, several external drives, and several thumb drives -- all of which work fine. I get no such message when I attach the same devices to my Windows XP computers. I think Windows 7 wants to make some change to make itself happy, but I have a hard time believing all of these drives (including some that had recently been formatted!) are actually corrupted.
That's odd; I use Windows 7, and I've never seen the message. There again, I never, ever, ever, unplug any USB device without using the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Question:

The Kindle uses a Linux OS. Would a Windows computer scan and repair be effective? Does the S&R operation affect the OS or just the stored files?
Yes, it's a standard FAT32 file system. Windows can "repair" it just fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #20
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
I have tried my Kindle in a couple of different XP machines and a Linux machine and none of them give this error so this is a Win7 only thing. But it is annoying since I use Calibre on this Win7 machine and it seems that even when I say Continue the message will come up again in a few hours and Calibre will not be able to automatically copy my newspapers to my Kindle.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The message means that Windows has detected that the file system on the Kindle is corrupt. You really do need to do something about it!
Really? I get this very often. Especially with readers containing SD cards. Interesting enough, ScanDisk and similar tools don't find anything, but I get the very same message when inserting the next time. I'm ignoring the messages now...
I'm using VISTA btw and I always "safe remove".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #22
beasteven2
beasteven2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
When I attach my Kindle to my PC (which is running Win7 HP) I will very often get the above message. I will select yes and it will scan and attempt recovery but I usually get this message again.

Originally I didn't always "Safely Remove Hardware" but I am pretty sure that I never removed it during file copy operations.

Am I the only one who sees this problem or do others have it too?
No, i do not always see it, it just started for me last night and I ignored it. Then, suddenly, i could not access my Kindle! i was working with Calibre <what an awesome program> and i was not able to add or even connect to the Kindle... I did some searching and found that i had a corruption even though i ALWAYS use the 'remove device' in windows <if i am updating screen savers> or using the Calibre disconnect.

after being somewhat frantic for a while, I did the scan&fix, and after about 15-20 minutes <of nail biting> it was done and had corrected issues. Now my Kindle works as well as it ever has, and i am one happy camper

Just wanted to post to show that it does work sometimes, and not to be afraid of the scan/fix popup. Better safe than sorry.
beasteven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #23
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
This message is common on Vista and Win 7 systems, when reading devices that have been used on prior versions of Windows, or which were unexpectedly removed at some point. This error does not mean your file system is corrupt, it just means it was unexpectedly removed at some point.

Modern versions of Windows (7 and Vista) constantly flush data to removable devices. This means that pulling the plug without "ejecting" them should not cause data corruption. Microsoft knows this is how people use their devices, so they "fixed" the behavior.

You can read an explanation of what the message means, and how to fix it, here: http://www.futureofrealestatetechnol...other-devices/

This doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't eject your devices before unplugging them, but don't panic if you forget, it's probably harmless.
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #24
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayWolf View Post
Modern versions of Windows (7 and Vista) constantly flush data to removable devices. This means that pulling the plug without "ejecting" them should not cause data corruption. Microsoft knows this is how people use their devices, so they "fixed" the behavior.

You can read an explanation of what the message means, and how to fix it, here: http://www.futureofrealestatetechnol...other-devices/
Interesting. I didn't know that about Win7.

In the XP Device Manager you can set up a USB disk drive to be optimized for quick removal vs performance.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote