Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #1
wayner
Connoisseur
wayner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 in Canada, iPad wifi only
Do you want to scan and fix Kindle?

When I attach my Kindle to my PC (which is running Win7 HP) I will very often get the above message. I will select yes and it will scan and attempt recovery but I usually get this message again.

Originally I didn't always "Safely Remove Hardware" but I am pretty sure that I never removed it during file copy operations.

Am I the only one who sees this problem or do others have it too?
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The message means that Windows has detected that the file system on the Kindle is corrupt. You really do need to do something about it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #3
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have had the same message appear for memory sticks and external hard-drives. I usually just ignore it and haven't had any issues. However, I'd be wary about saving important data on a device showing this message.

If I were you I would send an email to Amazon Customer Service and see what they have to say.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
julian1982
julian1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
it happen often to me but no problem just ingore it
julian1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian1982 View Post
it happen often to me but no problem just ingore it
If you value the information on your Kindle you really should NOT ignore it. A corrupt file system is not something to be ignored!
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
If you are getting that message then you should make sure you have things backed up as best possible and then do a scan and repair.

right-click on the mounted kindle-drive, select tools and do an error check/repair
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I get it every once in awhile.....I click on "yes" and it always comes up "everything is okay"

Happens only when I'm too quick to unplug K from computer.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I get it every once in awhile.....I click on "yes" and it always comes up "everything is okay"

Happens only when I'm too quick to unplug K from computer.
Yep, that is true and happens with my external drive and my usb drives. But if it happens a couple of times in succession, then it can't hurt to run the scan on it even if it doesn't find anything -- just in case.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
This happened to me quite often and what I discovered is that I was not going through the correct process to safely remove the device. I had the computer scan and fix the drive (Kindle) and now when I am ready to disconnect my Kindle, I click on a small icon and the computer asks "Do I want to remove the device" to which I click YES. Then I get the message I can safely remove the device. Since doing this, I no longer see that scan and fix message. I could be wrong but I think just unplugging the device without safely removing it, could be the problem. Just my two cents.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
This happened to me quite often and what I discovered is that I was not going through the correct process to safely remove the device. I had the computer scan and fix the drive (Kindle) and now when I am ready to disconnect my Kindle, I click on a small icon and the computer asks "Do I want to remove the device" to which I click YES. Then I get the message I can safely remove the device. Since doing this, I no longer see that scan and fix message. I could be wrong but I think just unplugging the device without safely removing it, could be the problem. Just my two cents.
Always, always use the "Safely Remove Hardware" tool before disconnecting the USB cable. Not doing so is a sure-fire recipe for a corrupt file system sooner or later.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Is it enough to eject the device in Calibre or should you also use the Remove Hardware safely icon?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Is it enough to eject the device in Calibre or should you also use the Remove Hardware safely icon?
I have been using the Remove Hardware safely icon just to ensure the device is removed properly from the computer, not just Calibre
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Calibre safely dismounts it, so you should be fine.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you value the information on your Kindle you really should NOT ignore it. A corrupt file system is not something to be ignored!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
If you are getting that message then you should make sure you have things backed up as best possible and then do a scan and repair.

right-click on the mounted kindle-drive, select tools and do an error check/repair
Question:

The Kindle uses a Linux OS. Would a Windows computer scan and repair be effective? Does the S&R operation affect the OS or just the stored files?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Question:

The Kindle uses a Linux OS. Would a Windows computer scan and repair be effective? Does the S&R operation affect the OS or just the stored files?
The file system on the device is mounted as a windows drive, so yes. as far as problems identified or fixed for it I think it would -- and certainly (though not applicable to a Kindle2) for an SD card.