Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
ahmadnz
ahmadnz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX Graphite - Refurb vs. New?

Hi everyone,

Can someone give me advice on how to make a decision on the purchase of a Kindle DX - new or refurbished?

What are the pros and cons of buying a Refurb apart from price?

I am outside the US so the warranty would be of little use to me.

ahmadnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
I'm curious about this so I can't really answer your question.
but why is the warranty of little use? I'm outside the US as well and I still get a warranty and I've used it on more than one occasion.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

warranty.

unless Amazon specifically offers the same warranty then you are better off buying new as the difference is likely only about $50 or so. Of course one can buy a Square Trade 3-yr warranty with accidental damage to go with the refurb so it's a crap-shoot.

I have yet to find an item in the Amazon Warehouse which really when you break it down is any great savings. You might be better off hunting on eBay and grabbing the same Square Trade warranty, usually for less than the cost through Amazon, over on eBay. I had a chance at a gen 2 DX over on eBay for $225 but passed deciding I wanted the Pearl screen in the DXG. Still with the 3-yr Square Trade accident coverage warranty it would have been about $300 which is $30 cheaper than new from Amazon but with a much better warranty.

BTW, the Square Trade warranties typically also cover international buyers but make sure to confirm before taking the leap.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
ahmadnz

Refurb is $320, new is $389.

That's a 17.7% difference, or $69.

That could buy me a decent cover for the Kindle DX.

Warranty is of little use to me because the cost of shipping it back to the US would be prohibitive - that, and officially the DX doesn't ship to my home country (New Zealand).

Anyway doesn't a refurb carry the same 1 year warranty?

I'm more than happy to buy Apple refurb products (they are apparently rechecked with a fine-toothed comb). If the same quality control applies for Kindle refurbs I would definintely buy a refurb for the savings but would be good to hear what you think.

Also, just so I don't get caught out - does the new Kindle DX Graphite come out in a "US-ONLY" wireless version? Or does every Kindle DX Graphite have "global" wireless?

Last edited by ahmadnz; 01-28-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I can't speak about Amazon's policies specifically, but I tend to stay away from refurbished electronics. I'm just suspicious of what problems it had the first time around, and if those problems were really reliably dealt with. And I would think that since you're not in the U.S., it would be worth it for you not to have to deal with the hassle of having to return it if something goes bad, etc.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #6
ahmadnz

I am led to believe most "refurbs" are just "open box returns" or that they had some issue which they easily resolve and then check over before shipping out?

Then again maybe you are right...
Old 01-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
love_guru
love_guru began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadnz View Post
I am led to believe most "refurbs" are just "open box returns" or that they had some issue which they easily resolve and then check over before shipping out?

Then again maybe you are right...
Then again, you probably need to hear from someone who ACTUALLY has one, that is, a refurbished Kindle DXG.

I bought it around Thanksgiving day last year. Everything is really peachy, it even came in an original Kindle DXG box. Seals are all intact, no scratches, no dings whatsoever. The only thing missing is the AC adapter, which is really no biggie because you can still plug in the USB cable to a computer and it will charge the Kindle.

Overall, it was a really great buy for me. YMMV, but i reckon you'll form a better decision by hearing from someone who actually has one instead of only from speculators.
love_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
I HAD a refurbished Kindle 2, so it's not exactly the same comparison here, but there was pretty much no sign of use at all, it came with all the same gear the retail one has and so on. Keep in mind that the Kindle isn't exactly the most complicated device in the market, it fact, it is quite simple in design. You aren't likely to run into as many problems as say a refurbished cellphone or gaming console. After you order it, just do a quick run through to make sure all the button press right, the device doesn't look like it was in a trash compactor, etc, and I would think it's fine.

That being said, if you have no warranty at all, are you sure you want to risk it?
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:16 AM   #9
ahmadnz

Decided to go for a refurb. $69 isn't to be sneezed at, especially relative to $320.

So I went to Amazon to order one but they weren't there!!!

After F5'ing for pretty much 12 hours, one came up - magic! Stumbled my way through the checkout process thinking that I might miss out taking too long but clicked the ORDER button and within 30 minutes it's updated to "Shipping soon"!

Awesome

Having said this, based on past experience sometimes Amazon can let you order something they don't have enough stock of - does "Shipping soon" mean I have been allocated one or could I still miss out??
Old 02-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Where did you find the information on refurbished Kindles? I looked but couldn't find anything. Not that I'm in the market at the moment, but it would be good to know in case my husband suddenly demands a Kindle of his own!

(I'm in Canada BTW.)
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
ahmadnz

What information are you meaning?

I'm not sure if Refurb ship to Canada. I know that they don't generally ship outside of the US but Canada may be ok.

I am getting someone to forward it to me.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #12
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I don't think they ship refurb Kindles to Canada.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
I've bought refurbished Kindle 2's on two separate occasions. Both had to be returned over something. The first was a split directional button. The second Kindle had a line down the screen. While the warranty process was painless and I now have two working Kindle's, I'd personally not buy refurbished if I had no recourse through Amazon's warranty.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:33 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The refurbs come with a one year warrenty just like the new devices. Most folks cannot tell them apart.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
ahmadnz

Dammit order cancelled as no stock???

Not happy!!!