Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #16
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
I have Calibre for mac and can't seem to find the section in preferences where you change the default viewer. Anyone have an idea?
well in Calibre for Windows it is : preferences - behaviour - tick/ untick boxes in "use internal viewer for" list
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
well in Calibre for Windows it is : preferences - behaviour - tick/ untick boxes in "use internal viewer for" list
Ahhh... that option does not exist in Calibre for Mac .
Thanks.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Kindle for PC is something I use to read my Kindle books on my PC. Originally I wasn't sure if I'd use it but I find it very handy for the odd read while using the PC and also for looking things up in books like recipes etc
I hadn't thought about cookbooks. I had previously not purchased any as I thought they wouldn't translate well in black and white however having them on my PC would be a good thing. Now I just have to try to find some that use metric.

Any further reviews on why I should use Kindle for PC?
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
'Cause all the cool kids are doing it... and it's free.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Am I allowed to also mention that if you use some of the DRM-removing tools you will need K4PC?
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #21
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazir View Post
I hadn't thought about cookbooks. I had previously not purchased any as I thought they wouldn't translate well in black and white however having them on my PC would be a good thing. Now I just have to try to find some that use metric.

some books will look better on PC in a PDF viewer, which will have handy page controls, zoom controls, thumbnails etc & colours. i see no benefit in converting a cookbook from PDF to Kindle. same applies for music ( notation) books.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #22
stargazir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
'Cause all the cool kids are doing it... and it's free.
I'm not sure if owning a Kindle allows you to say you're a cool kid....but I think so therefore you've provided a good reason
Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #23
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I used to use K4PC, but I stopped after a while because when I would change an ebook's metadata or something in Calibre and run it in K4PC again, the program's home menu (and the folder where it stores ebooks) would eventually be filled with older versions of books I wasn't using. Also, Amazon detects K4PC as an extra Kindle, and if I decided to use files sent to K4PC as a starting point in removing DRM from my ebooks, I have to rummage around in the My Kindle Content folder to try and figure out which file is the one I wanted, since K4PC saves them as random strings of characters.

So now, I am instead using Kindle Previewer to preview Kindle files before uploading them to my K2. Yeah, you have to open the program and then drag-drop the file into it because Kindle Previewer only came out 3 months ago and doesn't have proper file association set up, but I still much prefer it. For one thing, it's much MUCH faster to load and use ebooks on than K4PC is.

Last edited by chyron8472; 01-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #24
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
...Kindle Previewer only came out 3 months ago...
Previewer v1.0 was released April 2010. v1.5 was released September 2010.

I agree, though - it's a good tool for viewing Kindle ebooks. In particular, it's better than K4PC if it's important to see what an ebook will look like on an actual Kindle, since there are differences between how a Kindle will display a book and how it will look on K4PC, whereas Kindle Previewer is a pretty accurate simulation of what a book will look like on a Kindle (with the added facility of seeing what it will look like on the Kindle for iPad and iPhone apps).
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #25
stargazir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
Also, Amazon detects K4PC as an extra Kindle, and if I decided to use files sent to K4PC as a starting point in removing DRM from my ebooks, I have to rummage around in the My Kindle Content folder to try and figure out which file is the one I wanted, since K4PC saves them as random strings of characters.
When you say its an extra Kindle does that mean its included in the 5 devices I can read most purchased books on? If yes, should I be doing something to deactivate it prior to uninstalling it?
Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #26
cybmole
Wizard

weh you install K4PC it asks you to register it with an amazon accoutn - just skip that step if you prefer it unregistered.

if you have it registered, it's easy to remove - go to manage your kindle amazon page & do it there.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #27
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I still say Kindle Previewer is way faster.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #28
stargazir
Enthusiast

I bought a book from Amazon recently and think that I needed to have a registered K4PC to download the book even though I then planned on transferring it to my registered Kindle. I'm not sure if this will always be the case or was just something I did on that day.

Either way...my PC is going for repair next week and will hopefully come back with a new hard-drive. I might start by not installing K4PC then see if I end up needing it.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #29
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazir View Post
I bought a book from Amazon recently and think that I needed to have a registered K4PC to download the book even though I then planned on transferring it to my registered Kindle.
Kindle for PC is not needed to purchase a book to be transferred to your Kindle via USB (although you certainly can specify the purchase to be sent to Kindle for PC, if that's what you want to do). When buying, you can choose the "download to computer" option (if you have multiple, it will ask which "real" Kindle you plan to move it to).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote