Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 01:28 AM   #1
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle for PC

I'm a new user and based on recommendations from here have installed Calibre. I'm now wondering if I need Kindle for PC. I had originally installed it however i'm now wondering if I should keep it. Does anyone that uses Calibre also use Kindle for PC?
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes I use both.

It depends what you want to do really.

Calibre is designed more as somewhere to store all your ebooks and it has lots of options including file conversion, rss feeds, emailing books to your kindle, saving and exporting your ebook library ...

Kindle for PC is something I use to read my Kindle books on my PC. Originally I wasn't sure if I'd use it but I find it very handy for the odd read while using the PC and also for looking things up in books like recipes etc
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
calibre can be set to use its own viewer for .mobi or to use the kindle for PC viewer. via calibre preferences screens
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
calibre can be set to use its own viewer for .mobi or to use the kindle for PC viewer. via calibre preferences screens
Yes it has true but it's not nearly as nice as Kindle for PC for reading - especially since the latest K 4 PC updates which allow for 2 column reading which is so much nicer on a widescreen PC/laptop screen. And also being able to change the background to sepia and dim it down easily so it's nicer to read.

As the OP already has K 4 PC installed, I'd definitely recommend checking it out well first and trying all the different options because it's come a long way.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

how do you get 2 column display. I have "install updates without asking" ticked in my KIndle 4 PC, but I see no 2 column option , & program version 1.2 appears to date back to aug 2010 ?

EDIT so auto-update is broken - did manual fresh install & am now at 1.4 with 2 column option

Last edited by cybmole; 01-25-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I had no idea there was an update available! Thanks so much!
The latest update fixed my missing covers that the last version broke.
The new 2 column mode is awesome!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

except that for the Kindle book I tested on, I got either 1 column or 3 columns !

I could not see how to insist on exactly 2.!

maybe it looks at text size & computes how many columns to show ... ah, yes - as I move the text size slider the number of columns change.s

now if they could also fix downloading free samples, which only seem to appear on my actual kindle, not in my registered kindle for PC app....

Last edited by cybmole; 01-25-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
now if they could also fix downloading free samples, which only seem to appear on my actual kindle, not in my registered kindle for PC app....
Try 'archives' where you can download to 'home'.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

samples do not stay in archives
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
samples do not stay in archives
That is strange; where are they then?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
That is strange; where are they then?
process seems to be : ask for a free sample - it is delivered over wifi to kindle - read it, delete it - it;s gone.

if you want it back, you ask for it one more time. you never "own " it so it is not added to the books you bought. whereas a book that you bough for £0.00 i.e. for free IS kept in your books list & in your archive.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Just below the "Send Sample Now" button, there should be a "deliver to" drop down list - if you've got both a Kindle and Kindle for PC registered to that Amazon account, you should be able to select where you want the sample sent to (Kindle, PC to transfer to Kindle via USB, or Kindle for PC app).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_Sample.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	65492  
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Just below the "Send Sample Now" button, there should be a "deliver to" drop down list - if you've got both a Kindle and Kindle for PC registered to that Amazon account, you should be able to select where you want the sample sent to (Kindle, PC to transfer to Kindle via USB, or Kindle for PC app).
Thank you for that explanation; I never realized that it didn't go straight into 'archives'; I never asked for a sample.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
thanks - never noticed that. it worked.

I now need to sort out my kindle PC app labels which are currently helpfully called PC, PC2, PC3 - i see that on the manage kindle age so that is do-able also.

Last edited by cybmole; 01-25-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
I have Calibre for mac and can't seem to find the section in preferences where you change the default viewer. Anyone have an idea?
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote