Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
[QUOTE=mango;1299104]I am sure as a reader it will be just fine...but, supporting Amazon rather than my own local public library sort of grates on me. QUOTE]

Mobileread cannot give advice on breaking DRM, but if you look around and use google, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to read library books on your kindle. If and how you do that is a matter of individual conscious.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No you can't. Not without diddling with the eBooks.
Yeah that wouldn't sit right with me - not with library books. Each to their own though.

I love the fact that you can now read library books on an iphone / ipad etc which, at least for me, does away with the need for another e-ink device just to read the few books a month I get from the library.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #18
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Mobileread cannot give advice on breaking DRM, but if you look around and use google, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to read library books on your kindle. If and how you do that is a matter of individual conscious.
There is enough information on this thread that you should be able to put it all together:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=erictoma

The only difference with library books is that you have to delete them when you are done. Well, you don't HAVE to, but it is the right thing to do. As long as you wait your turn to borrow a book and then delete when you are finished, morally, it makes do difference what reader you use to read it.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I have to "diddle" with everything else I put on my Kindle so it's not an issue. continuing to tell people that the Kindles cannot read library books is lying
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #20
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
"Diddling" sort of implies some effort. In reality, it's only a matter of clicking on one big, fat, graphically enhanced button in Calibre that says, "Add books".

"Clicking" is a more appropriate description of what has to be done to read library books on a Kindle. You must click on a book.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #21
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
"Diddling" sort of implies some effort. In reality, it's only a matter of clicking on one big, fat, graphically enhanced button in Calibre that says, "Add books".
ENHANCE!
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #22
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
By the way, if you store all your DRM-free mobi books in dropbox, you can access your dropbox account via your Kindle and clicking on a mobi file will download it onto your kindle rightaway. No messing with emailing - it's instant and all done via the Kindle.
Thank you so much - that's a great idea, and especially useful for me when travelling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
And what happened to all our old Mobi books when Amazon stopped selling eBooks; and what happened to all the old books using old Mobi DRM? But along came the K3 and...
Yes, I fought my own bete noir with Amazon e-books - I had one of the original Rocket E-books that they briefly supported, as well as a number of DRM PDFs to which I lost access when the shut up shop with their ebooks. But, with Kindle representing such a stellar percentage of their business nowadays, I think I'm safe from a middle-of-the-night decamping from the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlBullock View Post
You see this is the current argument (well more discussion) I'm having with my brother, he maintains that a touchscreen is what's holding back the Kindle and the reason he won't buy one as he see's them as counter intuitive where as I'm more interested for the very same reason.
I loved the touchscreen back on the old backlit Rocket / RCA / Gemstar ebook readers - the 1150 was my favourite. But once I became accustomed to the quality of eink, I found the addition of a touchscreen had a noticeable detrimental impact on the screen contrast and just took too much away from the experience. Sent my PRS-700 back when the touchscreen/light wedge combo made it too muddy compared to the 505, and can't say I was too pleased with the 600 when it came out.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #23
thorn
Connoisseur
thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.thorn knows the square root of minus one.

Device: currently: ipod touch
when i saw the first sony readers i was fascinated and hopeful. i was aware that e-ink technology existed, and had been waiting and waiting for some company to use it in a consumer product. but when i went to the sony site and explored its bookstore i quickly saw that it was still a non-starter and i'd have to keep waiting. i saw immediately that there were no reference books to speak of, and no mention of any way to take notes or highlight passages. the lack of reference books told me that there was no way to search any of the text on the device. the only difference between the sony experience and the printed book that i could see, was 'big, heavy text in lightweight, small package'. the device was very pretty, and i fell in love with its screen when i saw one at a borders. but it had the main disadvantage of being electronic (DRM) and only one of the advantages - the weight-thing.

pricing, and the huge books i own but wasn't reading were what pushed me to finally get the kindle 2 back in february of 09. despite how big it was, i never really looked back. just got a new kindle 3, and am going to offer my used 2 to my sister. if she's not interested, i'll probably just keep it as a backup/loaner device.

Last edited by thorn; 01-08-2011 at 10:48 PM.
thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #24
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
For three years now, my near constant refrain has been "Well, actually, it's a Sony, not a Kindle. The Sony reader came out first, but the Kindle got all the publicity."

Or "It's a Sony, not a Kindle. Oh and thank you for the compliment, but that's my hair, not a hat."

..snip..
consider yourself lucky-
everytime I use my kindle in public someone will ask me "is that an ipad".
i say e-reader and they shut up.
but then, if i use my ipad in public people will ask 'is that an ipad' and when i say "yes" they will ask me how i like it and other annoying things like i'm a best buy worker or something.
good thing i prefer the kindle because i'm sick of being harassed.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #25
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
the only difference between the sony experience and the printed book that i could see, was 'big, heavy text in lightweight, small package'.
Which is a benefit not to be sneezed at. Back when I first started using ebook readers I was travelling 150 to 200 days a year on business, and often to places where the selection of English language books was both meagre and outrageously expensive. If I was reading light fiction I had to plan 4 to 5 books a week, and was often posted on site for three to six weeks. Ebooks made a huge improvement in that, though when I started using them back in 1999, the selection was pretty dismal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
consider yourself lucky-
everytime I use my kindle in public someone will ask me "is that an ipad".
i say e-reader and they shut up.
but then, if i use my ipad in public people will ask 'is that an ipad' and when i say "yes" they will ask me how i like it and other annoying things like i'm a best buy worker or something.
good thing i prefer the kindle because i'm sick of being harassed.
Hmm, funny, no one ever asks me about my iPad. Actually, one person did in a bookstore coffee shop.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote