Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Talking Oh lord, the Kindle-phobe becomes a Kindle-phile.

For three years now, my near constant refrain has been "Well, actually, it's a Sony, not a Kindle. The Sony reader came out first, but the Kindle got all the publicity."

Or "It's a Sony, not a Kindle. Oh and thank you for the compliment, but that's my hair, not a hat."

Or a long suffering sigh and a succinct "Me." when a belligerent TSA officer yelled "WHO LEFT A KINDLE IN THEIR CARRY-ON??!!"

I mean, seriously. The first kindle was fugly. Oh, how fugly!

The second one looked nicer, but it was huge. Granted, they did finally make an international version, which was released almost everywhere EXCEPT Canada, but to a Sony Reader guy, it was like carrying a laptop to read. Soooo biiig.

Well, third time's the charm. Wifi. Free 3G in over 100 countries. A very readable screen. Not too big, even with the keyboard. Reasonably priced books and the ability to email to it my existing DRM-free titles, once converted to mobi.

I packed up my PRS-505 for my sister, and depressed at abandoning my PRS past, I splurged on a sale-priced PRS-300, nice and compact, just as a back up reader.

Problem is, by comparison the screen is muddy, the content a PITA to get on (the Sony Connect Software can get a $%#@% out of me faster than anything other than Lotus Notes), and just plain Not As Good.

It dawned on me today, as I was packing up the PRS-300 to return it, I've been Kindlized.

Oh my.

But I love it.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
dvhh
Enthusiast
dvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
Welcome, and nice story. I was kind in the same case, but actually not owning any e-reading device. because I got so many gadget that usually end up as paperweight.
But in the end what convinced me the most was the price ( of course ) and the customizability.
dvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
dvhh
Enthusiast
dvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with othersdvhh plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3
Welcome, and nice story. I was kind in the same case, but actually not owning any e-reading device. because I got so many gadget that usually end up as paperweight.
But in the end what convinced me the most was the price ( of course ) and the customizability.
dvhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:56 AM   #4
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I'll admit, I love the look of the Sony Readers but I used to have one and I just didn't get on with the touch screen even though I love the touch screen on my iphone. What suits me though won't necessarily suit someone else.

I fell in love with the Kindle from version 2 international - even though I did think it was ugly to look at! It scrubbed up quite nicely in my black tuff-luv flip cover. I think it is mainly because I love how it syncs up so easily with other Kindle apps and the ease of buying books and downloading them in seconds. The whole set-up is super easy.

By the way, if you store all your DRM-free mobi books in dropbox, you can access your dropbox account via your Kindle and clicking on a mobi file will download it onto your kindle rightaway. No messing with emailing - it's instant and all done via the Kindle.

See http://www.kinworm.com/2010/10/backu...g-dropbox.html

And http://www.kinworm.com/2010/10/downl...s-to-your.html

Enjoy
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Welcome to the Kindle Klub BuddyBoy! Aside from my 3 Kindles, I've also owned a 505 and recently adopted a 650. The K3 is still my reader of choice. Check out the links in my sig for some fun stuff you can do with your new Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
it happens

I agree, the ugliness of the early Kindles was a problem--and where was Amazon when Sony forged the way with eInk? And what happened to all our old Mobi books when Amazon stopped selling eBooks; and what happened to all the old books using old Mobi DRM? But along came the K3 and...
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
mango
mango began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
I would have a Sony if you could get the one with wifi in Canada...but apparently Verizon or somebody has some dibs on it and no one in Canada wants to play with Sony. sigh. so, as I sit and wait for the new Kindle with wifi to show up...and wonder if the cover is going to have to be sent back, and find out that it is not supported by our library here..which has a rather largish ebook collection and it is only going to get bigger....well....I dunno, folks, I just dunno.
I am sure as a reader it will be just fine...but, supporting Amazon rather than my own local public library sort of grates on me.
On the other hand the Sony store is not very forthcoming about when the wifi will show up over there...they just don't know. Beyond the store managers paygrade, I guess.
mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Buddy, I had a similar conversion from Sony Reader (I was among the first to pre-order PRS-500) but about two years ago when I switched to Kindle DX (I liked the size).
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
I would have a Sony if you could get the one with wifi in Canada...but apparently Verizon or somebody has some dibs on it and no one in Canada wants to play with Sony. sigh. so, as I sit and wait for the new Kindle with wifi to show up...and wonder if the cover is going to have to be sent back, and find out that it is not supported by our library here..which has a rather largish ebook collection and it is only going to get bigger....well....I dunno, folks, I just dunno.
I am sure as a reader it will be just fine...but, supporting Amazon rather than my own local public library sort of grates on me.
On the other hand the Sony store is not very forthcoming about when the wifi will show up over there...they just don't know. Beyond the store managers paygrade, I guess.
you CAN use library books on the kindle
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #10
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Such a sweet, touching story.

Welcome to Kindle-world!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I like how my K1 looks. I find it distinctive and the wedge shape made holding Tavi very easy and comfortable. I actually miss my scroll wheel with the silver bar on my DXG. (winks)

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your Kindle. I have never understood why people feel like it is a bad thing to like multiple e-readers.

I can see why Sony's are attractive to people. The size, form factor, and touchscreen are nice. I even played with a iPod Touch and Nano this Christmas and found touchscreens that I don't hate. Then again, I would not be staring at fingerprints while reading on either device so that helps.

What matters is that you find an e-reader that you enjoy and are comfortable using. Welcome to the Kindle Klub, we promise not to boot you if you decide you want a 350 or 650 at some point in time.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
CarlBullock
CarlBullock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I'll admit, I love the look of the Sony Readers but I used to have one and I just didn't get on with the touch screen even though I love the touch screen on my iphone. What suits me though won't necessarily suit someone else.
You see this is the current argument (well more discussion) I'm having with my brother, he maintains that a touchscreen is what's holding back the Kindle and the reason he won't buy one as he see's them as counter intuitive where as I'm more interested for the very same reason. You see I already own a touchscreen Android smartphone with a 3.7" screen and I can't stand any smudge marks and am always cleaning the thing (however lovely it maybe) so god knows what I'll be like with a 6" screen especially considering I will be constantly reading off of it.
CarlBullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlBullock View Post
You see this is the current argument (well more discussion) I'm having with my brother, he maintains that a touchscreen is what's holding back the Kindle and the reason he won't buy one as he see's them as counter intuitive where as I'm more interested for the very same reason. You see I already own a touchscreen Android smartphone with a 3.7" screen and I can't stand any smudge marks and am always cleaning the thing (however lovely it maybe) so god knows what I'll be like with a 6" screen especially considering I will be constantly reading off of it.
Yes it's the smudge/finger marks which totally bother me. On the iphone, you can get away with finger marks because it is a backlit device and turning the brightness up "hides" the marks and makes the screen more readable. It also isn't a device I use primarily for reading.

The Kindle (one the other hand) is primarily a reading device and the thought of finger marks all over it doesn't thrill me at all. I just pray that if Amazon go down the touch screen route that they will have the sense to make it an optional thing - ie you can navigate without having to use the touch screen at all.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #14
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlBullock View Post
I agree. I hate my touch screen phone and can't wait until my contract runs out in February so I can get a new one.

Originally, I chose Kindle for the e-ink and ties to Amazon ... my favorite store. Since joining MR, the kind and smart people here have showed me that Amazon is only the beginning. My Kindle reads books from anywhere, including the library. And with free anywhere internet, it's the perfect device.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
you CAN use library books on the kindle
No you can't. Not without diddling with the eBooks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote