Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Kindle 3 won't charge through when connected to computer

I have had my Kindle since January of last year and have always had problems charging it through the computer. It connects and disconnects itself from the computer every few minutes on occasion.

Most of the time I use my husbands Blackberry Storm charger and it works perfectly. I buy all my books from my device so I rarely have to connect my Kindle to the computer itself.

Anyways, last week I used the computer to charge it and it worked just fine. As far as I could tell it didn't disconnect itself at all. The light turned green and the battery said it was full. Last night I decided that maybe my issues with connecting to the computer were gone so I left it to charge all night. When I got up this morning I checked the light and it was still amber, yet the device itself was still connected to the computer. I safely unplugged it and checked the battery, and it hadn't budged from being 1/4 full.

So my question is, is it the USB, my computer, or my Kindle? I've tried using another USB for a Blackberry but it wouldn't connect at all.

I know I'm an idiot and should have told Amazon about my issues before because now my warranty is expired . Anyone else have similar issues like this?
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Does it charge when plugged in using a wall-charger?
If you plug in something else (The blackberry, for instance) using the USB port, does it charge at all?
Any other USB cables you can use to check both devices?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Does it charge when plugged in using a wall-charger?
If you plug in something else (The blackberry, for instance) using the USB port, does it charge at all?
Any other USB cables you can use to check both devices?
It charges using the blackberry wall charger with no problems. I've plugged both my blackberry phones into the computer with their separate USB cables and had no issues using the same ports. I tried using the blackberry USB on the Kindle to connect to the computer but it wouldn't connect at all. The same cable did work for the Blackberry though.

Do you think I should be able to connect the blackberry to the computer using the Kindle USB cable? If that *should* work, and doesn't, then maybe it's the cable after all.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I can't remember where I read it (might have been here) about someone having a similar problem with their Kindle continually connecting/disconnecting via the USB cable, one new USB cable later, it was fine.

Might be worth contacting Amazon's Kindle support and asking their advice on it being a faulty USB cable, they might send you a replacement to try?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I can't remember where I read it (might have been here) about someone having a similar problem with their Kindle continually connecting/disconnecting via the USB cable, one new USB cable later, it was fine.

Might be worth contacting Amazon's Kindle support and asking their advice on it being a faulty USB cable, they might send you a replacement to try?
I'll do that. I hope that's all it is.
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
When your computer goes to sleep, it is likely turning off power to the USB ports. This will stop charging, and may very well drain the Kindle battery. I found this out when I would charge my Sony-300 with my iMac, and it would always be dead the next morning.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
When your computer goes to sleep, it is likely turning off power to the USB ports. This will stop charging, and may very well drain the Kindle battery. I found this out when I would charge my Sony-300 with my iMac, and it would always be dead the next morning.
I actually charged it last night through the computer starting at 10pm. At around 2am the computer automatically restarted after an update (I thought I turned off that option) and this morning the light was still amber but the battery shows full. Does that make any sense?

I'm going to call Kindle CS later today and cross my fingers that they say it's the USB. That's the cheapest solution I think.

Thank you to everybody for your feedback!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Just use the wall charger and all will be fine.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote