Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #27421
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've read 3 books since last week. A Pale View Of Hills, The Girl Who Came Home, & Sea Escape, a Novel.

I was let down by A Pale View Of Hills. I like his writing style, but the book never seemed to go anywhere. The ending left me more confused than anything. I have recently watched some documentaries about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, so the book seemed a good fit. My hope going in was that I would like it as much as Remains of the Day but I now realize that was a tall order.

I enjoyed The Girl Who Came Home a great deal. The Titanic is another event I've always been interested in. Some readers seemed to not like the jumping back and forth in time, but that generally doesn't bother me when it's handled well. The author's "drawing" of her characters worked for me. Some were very minor, but I was able to picture them in my head, something I appreciate in a book.

I started another book by the same author, The Girl from the Savoy, a Novel. but haven't read very far yet.

Sea Escape was ok, I liked it well enough. Like the other two books, it's told via flashback and current time frames. The secret foretold in the beginning isn't much of a secret by the time you get to the end. The book deals with mothers and daughters and their relationships, which was handled fairly well.

Earlier this month I read The Leisure Seeker and give it a full thumbs down. I didn't believe the characters, and had the ending pegged by the 15th Page. I don't buy an elderly husband who has advancing Alzheimer's being able to drive an RV across the country, let alone park it correctly for hook-ups etc. He didn't know his wife most of the time, or where he was...The elderly wife is horrible, and I just flat out didn't buy it.

I haven't read much this summer, so it was good to back into some new books.

Last edited by Deskisamess; 08-16-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #27422
nikkisharif
nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I just finished Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. I don’t usually read fantasy, but this one was amazing! It kept me engaged the entire time. I highly recommend it. Can’t wait for the sequel in March!!

I’m, currently, reading IT by Stephen King, for the millionth time LOL, The Oracle Year by Charles Soule, and Energy Leadership (company bookclub pick) by Bruce D. Schneider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nikkisharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2018, 07:59 AM   #27423
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I've read 3 books since last week. A Pale View Of Hills, The Girl Who Came Home, & Sea Escape, a Novel.

I was let down by A Pale View Of Hills. I like his writing style, but the book never seemed to go anywhere. The ending left me more confused than anything. I have recently watched some documentaries about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, so the book seemed a good fit. My hope going in was that I would like it as much as Remains of the Day but I now realize that was a tall order.
If you're interested in continuing Ishiguro, the New Leaf Book Club is reading Never Let Me Go.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:12 AM   #27424
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
If you're interested in continuing Ishiguro, the New Leaf Book Club is reading Never Let Me Go.
Thanks, I just might do that.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:51 AM   #27425
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
After having spent more than a week reading a dry subject like The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997 by Piers Brendon, I needed to cheer up my senses with reading a light humor. I took up Maidless in Mumbai by Payal Kapadia, and was that hilarious! This is the diary of a young working mom, and how she experiences her world. Hysterically funny, unapologetically honest, and charming all the way. A maidless mom who dreams of only one thing - the perfect maid to live happily forever with.

Next, to continue the light reading, I'll take up Doughboy And Other Strange Tales by Don Broyles, our in-house story writer . Supposedly a mix of humor and horror. Offered free for now.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #27426
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Finished Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. It was good but light (as the title would suggest). I will probably give Tyson's other stuff at try.

Now starting the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #27427
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Finished Astrophysics for People in a Hurry. It was good but light (as the title would suggest). I will probably give Tyson's other stuff at try.
I read this last summer and enjoyed it a good deal. I enjoy Tyson's conversational style. He has the real gift of a teacher that can explain scientific concepts with everyday objects.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #27428
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now starting on Seeing a Large Cat, the 9th in the Amelia Peabody series.
Which was great fun, and we finally see some of Rameses' thoughts.

Straight on to the next in the series, The Ape Who Guards the Balance.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #27429
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished Don't Tell My Parents I Blew Up the Moon by Richard Roberts. First time around, I found this sequel to be the weakest of the series, but on this second reading, I can appreciate it a little better.

Unfortunately, there is an issue with dashes in these books: they are not translating in my reader.

After a little investigation, it appears that PocketBook just doesn't like m-dashes in epub.

Not sure what I will read next... I want to go through the series, but I don't want to burn out before getting to the new book, either.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 08-19-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #27430
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which was great fun, and we finally see some of Rameses' thoughts.

Straight on to the next in the series, The Ape Who Guards the Balance.
Which was also most enjoyable. I'm keen to find out what happens next, but I shall wait a bit before going on.

Next up: Asimov's SF for Sep/Oct 2018. So far so good, except for the alternate history story, which I find unconvincing.

I'm also going to start The Foundling by Georgette Heyer.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #27431
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, after watching Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, Dngrswife told me we should try actually reading some Agatha Christie--strangely enough, I have never read any of her books, and have only occasionally brushed by Poirot on the television. This movie is my first real exposure to Christie.

So, with that said, I borrowed The Mysterious Affair at Styles and have finished reading it.

Convoluted is a word that comes to mind. At this point I neither love Christie nor hate her, and will likely read one or two more books to better feel one way or the other.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #27432
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
So, after watching Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express, Dngrswife told me we should try actually reading some Agatha Christie--strangely enough, I have never read any of her books, and have only occasionally brushed by Poirot on the television. This movie is my first real exposure to Christie.

So, with that said, I borrowed The Mysterious Affair at Styles and have finished reading it.

Convoluted is a word that comes to mind. At this point I neither love Christie nor hate her, and will likely read one or two more books to better feel one way or the other.
Yes, convoluted plots. Surely watching Murder on the Orient Express would have told you that!

Try "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd".
Old 08-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #27433
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Asimov's SF for Sep/Oct 2018. So far so good, except for the alternate history story, which I find unconvincing.

I'm also going to start The Foundling by Georgette Heyer.
The Foundling was great fun. A splendid romp from start to finish.

I'm also just finishing up Asimov's SF, which is up to the usual standard.

Next up are Analog SFF for Sep/Oct, and Third Girl by Agatha Christie.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #27434
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:
Yes, convoluted plots. Surely watching Murder on the Orient Express would have told you that!

Try "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd".
Already in my queue.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:16 PM   #27435
RobertLCollins
Groupie
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Earlier this week I finished European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman by Theodora Goss. What a fun read! There was adventure, intrigue, and action. We got more answers about the Athena Club, and (of course) more classic fictional characters enter the story. I look forward to seeing what happens in book 3.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote