Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
sparker
sparker began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
calibre-server log in Ubuntu showing unexpected "failed login attempt" messages

I'm not sure why I'm getting logged messages in the "calibre-server.log" file that show "Failed login attempt from: <my home IP>" when I've never had a failed login.

I have the server running on an AWS t2.micro Ubuntu server with the security group only allowing inbound access from my home IP, so I know others are not getting there.

I started the server in systemctl using the following:
Code:
ExecStart=/usr/bin/calibre-server /home/ubuntu/calibre-library \
          --port 2345 \
          --userdb /home/ubuntu/users.sqlite --enable-auth \
          --ban-after 5 --ban-for 360 \
          --log /var/log/calibre-server.log --max-log-size 100
And see the following in the output file
Code:
$ cat /var/log/calibre-server.log 
calibre server listening on 0.0.0.0:2345
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 172.31.93.216 port: 2345
Failed login attempt from: MY.HOME.IP.ADDR
Failed login attempt from: MY.HOME.IP.ADDR
after logging in successfully. Even if calibre-server doesn't record successful logins, I shouldn't be seeing any errors, since there was one and only one login attempt which let me in fine.

Any thoughts why this is happening?

sparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use --access-log to see who is accessing the library. And if you see a failed login attempt, that means something tried to connect to the server with HTTP auth headers containing incorrect values/no auth headers.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-15-2018 at 06:57 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
sparker
sparker began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use --access-log to see who is accessing the library. And if you see a failed login attempt, that means something tried to connect to the server with HTTP auth headers containing incorrect values/no auth headers.
Thanks. I'll go add that startup flag. And thanks for the hard work and dedication you put into such a cool product!!!

Steve
sparker is offline   Reply With Quote