Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Backdraft
Backdraft began at the beginning.

Device: Android + Aldiko
Calibre -> Android/Aldiko, covers for epub not showing in device

Hi,

So I've been using Calibre's "Send to device" function to manage and send my ebook collection to my Android device, which consists of both EPUB (Aldiko) and PDF (Adobe Reader), but that's for another discussion.

The problem is that certain items in my EPUB collection do not have their cover image files imported into my Android device, which means that in Aldiko there are no covers displayed for those items. All of them are .jpg files at or under 500 pixels length on my Desktop side of things (dunno if that has any impact), but it's kind of random which cover files are imported into my device's SD card and which ones aren't. Any help would be welcome.

PS: On another note, I really hope for this feature to be coming soon. I've been using Calibre to organize/manage/import my stuff that includes both PDF and EPUB files, and it'd be nice to specify different folders for the different formats when importing onto my Android device (so I can point my 2 different readers into the corresponding locations).

Or I suppose another way is to ask the makers of Aldiko for some kind of preliminary PDF support for organization.
Backdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdraft View Post
The problem is that certain items in my EPUB collection do not have their cover image files imported into my Android device, which means that in Aldiko there are no covers displayed for those items. All of them are .jpg files at or under 500 pixels length on my Desktop side of things (dunno if that has any impact), but it's kind of random which cover files are imported into my device's SD card and which ones aren't. Any help would be welcome.
I'm guessing the ePubs that don't have covers have been converted to ePub using calibre since April?

It is possible that Aldiko doesn't support SVG images. Calibre uses these images for covers whenever a book is converted to epub. You can have calibre use JPG images by going to the epub output profile and checking the box that says No SVG cover (see attached). This will force calibre to use a jpg as the cover instead. I think that inserting this new JPG cover will require an epub to epub conversion.

If Aldiko creates the thumbnails from the book cover this could fix your problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No_SVG.jpg
Views:	2539
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	58222  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
tonyx3
Connoisseur
tonyx3 began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus One
No, I use Aldiko, and I don't have the 'No SVG cover' option enabled. I'm pretty sure Aldiko supports svg just fine.

I'm not sure why it's not showing the covers. I've never had that problem with it.

I don't use the 'Send to Device' option for getting my books there, though. I use the content server. I don't think that should make any difference, though.
tonyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I wonder if the problem is that the cover is changed in Calibre, but no conversion is run to get it inserted into the epub file? If you change the cover in Calibre it is necessary to run a conversion (even if it is epub->epub) to get the cover inserted into the file.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I wonder if the problem is that the cover is changed in Calibre, but no conversion is run to get it inserted into the epub file? If you change the cover in Calibre it is necessary to run a conversion (even if it is epub->epub) to get the cover inserted into the file.
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
ymerejo42
Enthusiast
ymerejo42 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10 (9th Generation)
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but does this mean that if I change the cover for a book, I have to convert it (even if it's epub->epub) before it will get rid of the old one?
ymerejo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Goner
Connoisseur
Goner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to behold

Device: ARCHOS 80G9, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1, BeBook Club S, Icarus Reader Go
Don't know if that is the only way, but it certainly does the trick.
I just ran into the same problem ; I downloaded (using Edit Metadata) the covers & metadata for some books that had the Calibre generated covers (6 standing books) but the downloaded cover.jpg was only put in the book's folder, not in the .epub file.
After converting from EPUB to EPUB, they were.
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
I just ran into the same problem ; I downloaded (using Edit Metadata) the covers & metadata for some books that had the Calibre generated covers (6 standing books) but the downloaded cover.jpg was only put in the book's folder, not in the .epub file.
Downloading metadata and covers to calibre never updates any ePub. Calibre only updates ePubs under certain conditions. The 1st you already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
After converting from EPUB to EPUB, they were.
When a ePub is converted to ePub.

The other times ePubs with properly inserted covers will be updated is when they are exported from calibre using Send to Device or Save to disk.

There have been so many changes that it is possible that other avenues of export update the covers/metadata, possibly sending via email or the content server update this data but I am unsure.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
ymerejo42
Enthusiast
ymerejo42 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10 (9th Generation)
Well, with 950+ ebooks, I'm not looking forward to re-converting them all, since I know of no way to check if they have only one cover or not...
ymerejo42 is offline   Reply With Quote