Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Attention: All eBookwise 1150 newbies!

EDIT: 26 Sep 2011 All links referred to by 'www.ebooktechnologies.com' can be replaced with 'www.ebooksystem.net' to view webpages that existed previous to eBook Technologies being acquired by Google.

If you have registered your eBookwise and perhaps already downloaded some commercial ebooks through www.ebookwise.com, www.fictionwise.com or www.filamentbooks.com/, then there is a world of freely-available .imp ebooks awaiting you here ...

And welcome to MobileRead.com (the .IMP way!)

General/Hardware DeviceIMP software wiki
If you are just getting started, then check all the programs that handle/manipulate/convert the .imp format in our wiki i.e. IMP software

There are several ways to transfer .imp ebooks to the reader and most are listed in our Poll on the subject entitled: How do you get new content onto your eBookwise 1150 / REB 1200?
eBook Publisher
eBook Publisher from ETI (windows and mac) creates .imp ebooks but doesn't transfer them to the reader. The software also includes a .imp viewer (perfectly previews .imp ebooks on the computer) and Bulk Convert program (to convert many .doc/.rtf/.ppt/.oebff to .imp/.oebff)

Also available from ETI, is RB2Project that converts Rocket/REB1100 .rb ebooks to .imp/.oebff ebooks.
Impserve/Lit2b/Mobi2IMP/PDFRead
Be sure to install Impserve which primarily transfers .imp's to the reader and can be found here along with my impserve plugins and mini-tutorial. You may want to refer to the post, Easy setup instructions for converting certain files to .imp, about getting the secondary programs (Lit2sb, Mobi2IMP and PDFRead) quickly installed.
eBookwise/GEB Librarian

EDIT: Oct. 2010 - this software is no longer available for sale either by breeno.org or www.ebookwise.com. In it's place ETI has introduced http://my.ebooksystem.net/, a supplement to their Personal Content Server that can now deliver .imp ebooks directly to your Online Library for later download to your device from your computer. Thanks to lvd4 for this tip!

Getting .IMP ebooks onto the reader
Have a look at our eBookwise Poll on this predicament . There are now many ways to accomplish this, namely:A good summary of these transfer methods can be found in this post How to get me converted books to my reader!!]
THE END

This will be a FAQ of sorts and will be updated to add member contributions and that future wiki link!

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-03-2012 at 11:02 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
excellent idea, nick, i think there's definitely a need for a thread like this. i've stuck it so newbies can find it more easily.

another useful tip : if you register at filament books or ebookwise (links in the first post), you can use their automatic conversion service to send your own documents (format word, etc.) to your "personal content" bookshelf ; they will be converted into imp format and you can then download them to your device. nice for the days you're feeling too lazy to launch eBook Publisher just to read the latest work document...

another important bit of information for eb1150 not living in the US : you can buy an inexpensive universal power adapter to charge your eb1150. this thread has information about what to buy.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
excellent idea, nick, i think there's definitely a need for a thread like this. i've stuck it so newbies can find it more easily.

another useful tip : if you register at filament books or ebookwise (links in the first post), you can use their automatic conversion service to send your own documents (format word, etc.) to your "personal content" bookshelf ; they will be converted into imp format and you can then download them to your device. nice for the days you're feeling too lazy to launch eBook Publisher just to read the latest work document...
Not only that but if you buy IMP eBooks at fictionwise they can also show up on your bookshelf. Fictionwise owns both eBookwise and Filament books.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re-registering a used EBW1150

Turn the unit off. Then press and hold the page back button (bottom one) and while holding it turn the device on.

After the bookshelf gets rearranged, tap the top left menu (ebook guy) and then tap the Info icon. Tap the more icon (twice) and you should see the hidden menu. There is a refurbish icon that will wipe out any existing registration info. Do so now.

Afterwards, just power off and then power on again. Now under the Info icon you should see "Not registered yet" for User ID.

Now connect to your Online Bookshelf with your (new) ebookwise User ID.

This link explains this the Registration process more succinctly:
Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
jerryprism
jerryprism began at the beginning.

Device: clie nz-90
HOw about the ROcketEbook?

Does this tecnique work for RocktEbooks? ANd will it erase all the saved books in the memory?
jerryprism is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryprism View Post
Does this tecnique work for RocktEbooks? ANd will it erase all the saved books in the memory?
No, this technique will work only for the EBW1150 and REB1200 devices (which have been migrated to the ETI servers).

It cannot work with the original Rocket eBook or REB1100 since these rely on the Gemstar servers for registration and those servers are "down" permanently with the demise of Gemstar (and Nuvomedia before that).
Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Roger1322
Roger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enough

Now that I have Windows 7 I can no longer get eBookwise Librarian to convert books downloaded from Muncey's. I can't even get a response from Librarian support so I am going to switch to Nook - too bad, eBookwise has been my favorite for years.
Roger1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger1322 View Post
Now that I have Windows 7 I can no longer get eBookwise Librarian to convert books downloaded from Muncey's. I can't even get a response from Librarian support so I am going to switch to Nook - too bad, eBookwise has been my favorite for years.
Just wondering, as ive also upgraded to windows 7 and have no problems, did you re-enter your registration number into the librarian software?

If you dont, you only have a limited time frame for conversions etc, because it considers itself to be in demo mode till you do.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Roger1322
Roger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enoughRoger1322 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by askyn View Post
Just wondering, as ive also upgraded to windows 7 and have no problems, did you re-enter your registration number into the librarian software?

If you dont, you only have a limited time frame for conversions etc, because it considers itself to be in demo mode till you do.

No, I didn't do that since it didn't ask but I will uninstall, reinstall and do that.
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Roger1322

Nope, still doesn't work - about 3/4 the way through the conversion it fails. Any other ideas? Sure hate to give up eBookwise. Zero response from support so I figure I'm not the only one. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
sorry for the delay in responding, hectic time of the year.

When your doing the conversions, are you using batch mode ( ie it pops up and says you have xxx number of books to convert do you want to do them now? ), or manually by clicking the create new button and making them one at a time?

Reason I ask is that some times ive had issues with it mass produceing the books vs doing it manually one by one.

Manually seems to work little better for me for some reason.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #12
Roger1322

I've just discovered a solution, no thanks to eBookwise or Librarian support. I installed an old version and it now works. I'm grateful but really disgusted with zero help from these two outfits.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
nrapallo

So I bought my first .imp ebook, what now?

OK, so let's assume you've just purchased your first ebook for the EBW1150 from say www.fictionwise.com or www.ebookwise.com and don't know yet how to use it. (and you will learn fast, just start with a crawl and then ... )

The way the .imp ebook gets "onto" your EBW1150 is by transferring it via the usb cable that connects it to the computer BY USING THE EBW1150 reader itself to do this. Once purchased, the ebook is then made available on your Online Bookshelf stored by fictionwise's host company (the manufacurer of the EBW1150, eBook Technologies, Inc. aka ETI) on the ETI servers. All you have to do is connect via the USB cable to your Online Bookshelf by tapping the Online Bookshelf tab on the EBW1150's Bookshelf screen. This "downloads" it again but this time via the internet directly (or at worst via the telephone line ) onto your EBW1150.

Just so you know, www.ebookwise.com purchases are easier as they always are immediately available in your Online Bookshelf. However, when using www.fictionwise.com, you can also download the Multiformat ebook you purchased for "safe keeping", but make sure you download the OEBFF Half VGA .imp format which is the only one the EBW1150 can read natively. (Note: If DRM is used, then the OEBFF Secure Half VGA .imp format will be restricted to only your EBW1150 device and cannot be transferred.) The other formats would need to be converted first to .imp to use, and that's more of a hassle. However, you still may want it in .prc or ereader .pdb if you have OTHER devices that read those formats. It's really up to your own preferences which ones you download.

The .imp ebook is always made available on the ETI servers for you to download (again and again) via the usb cable using the EBW1150 itself.

You can also transfer the .imp ebook you downloaded to your desktop (i.e. hard drive) using the eBookwise Librarian (purchased at www.ebookwise.com) or our own free impserve program available in the Mobileread.com Fictionwise/ebookwise Forum. This is also how you would download ebooks from our E-Books Uploads .IMP Books library forum into your EBW1150.

If this still doesn't make sense, just re-read this post about using the eBookwise Librarian program or this post about using the ETI servers.

Happy reading!

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-13-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #14
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase spare USB cables for the eBookWise. I've run mine over one time too often with my office chair.

Rob Preece
Publisher, BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase spare USB cables for the eBookWise.
As far as I know, the USB cable used by the EBW1150 is non-proprietary.

Just google for a "USB Type A - mini-B" Cable for a source near you. Our EBookwise-1150 wiki lists this as the USB type used (See under Specifications).