Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What hot story will we read in July?
I Never Had it Made by Jackie Robinson 6 46.15%
The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden 3 23.08%
The Summer Book by Tove Jansson 5 38.46%
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury 8 61.54%
The Return of the Soldier by Rebecca West 3 23.08%
The Go-Between by L.P. Hartley 6 46.15%
Atonement by Ian McEwan 5 38.46%
Long Summer Day by R.F. Delderfield 3 23.08%
A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams 1 7.69%
A Man's Got to Have a Hobby: Long Summers with My Dad by William McInnes 4 30.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #31
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Why are there multiple audio versions anyway? Three, for a book that's not public domain, seems quite unusual. I've noticed a few other Bradbury titles that have more than one audiobook version.
Because audio book rights are a quagmire, especially for anything written before the late 80's when Books on Tape started to be a force. And because someone thought they could make a profit at it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:10 AM   #32
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I'm going the old-fashioned way of reading it in a hardcover book which I found up on the top bookshelf (under B for Bradbury of course), that I had completely forgotten I owned!
That's always a gem, finding a book you didn't know/remember you had. I've done it too .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 AM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That's always a gem, finding a book you didn't know/remember you had. I've done it too .
Less gemlike is when you find it after you've bought it again.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 AM   #34
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Less gemlike is when you find it after you've bought it again.
Too true . I've avoided that several times since I started recording my books read on goodreads.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 AM   #35
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, that's why I checked the bookcase, because I too have bought books which I then found I had already.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #36
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
That's what I like about Amazon kindle books. They tell you that you've already bought it from them - I've had that moment several times.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, so have I. As for already having the pBook version however -- I rarely care, since I no longer read pBooks other than cookbooks. And those only when there isn't an eBook version at a reasonable price.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #38
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
That's what I like about Amazon kindle books. They tell you that you've already bought it from them - I've had that moment several times.
Sometimes... a repackaged or "Anniversary" edition will come with a different ASIN and one ends up with several version of the same book in their library.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #39
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
There are a few books in my library where the version I bought is no longer sold at all so if you search for that title a different version is the only option and it doesn't have the purchase information on it.

The only way to get the version I bought is through my Kindle Library page where I can still download it but if I can't see the product page any longer since it is gone completely.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #40
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Why are there multiple audio versions anyway? Three, for a book that's not public domain, seems quite unusual. I've noticed a few other Bradbury titles that have more than one audiobook version.
Think of it as a performance like different singers doing the same song. You may have someone doing a straight reading, then with someone “acting” with different voices and maybe they decide to get a celebrity to do a version.

I think some of the earliest recording were done for the blind.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Think of it as a performance like different singers doing the same song. You may have someone doing a straight reading, then with someone “acting” with different voices and maybe they decide to get a celebrity to do a version.

I think some of the earliest recording were done for the blind.
Yeah, but usually it's public domain recordings that are done by different voice artists. For more modern works, don't the authors/publishers negotiate rights with one audio company and narrator, and that's it? Before noticing the Bradbury multiple versions, the only other modern one for which I'd ever seen a multiple was Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House--the second version coincided with the movie remake, so there seemed to be some logic behind it, if not much sense.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:20 PM   #42
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There are scores of books in copyright that have multiple versions with various translators. Like print books they will often stop selling the older editions when the new version comes out. Some Robert Heinlein books have been through at least four audiobook versions.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #43
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My Hoopla library also has the Colonial Radio Theatre version published by Blackstone Audio.
http://www.colonialradio.com/HTML/ti..._bradbury.html
This production was brilliant, and the cast does a fantastic job! Length is about 2 hrs. Bradbury wrote the dramatization so it captures the essence of the novel even though there are some variations. It really brings the story ALIVE!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #44
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Thanks, Bookworm_Girl. I have an Audible version that is WhisperSync'd but I haven't yet started reading it. I might well circle back and read/listen to this one as well.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #45
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
It was just a fun listen and short. It really captures the magic of the words on page to make you feel the spirit of it. Oh, to be a kid again in the summertime!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote