Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #1
fidelitousone
fidelitousone began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Latest Calibre for Linux ARM?

Any chance there's a version of Calibre which supports Linux ARM? There are updated versions of Calibre in the Arch Linux repositories, but those run "calibre-server" with the password error. I really would like to run a calibre-server on my Raspberry Pi 2.
fidelitousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelitousone View Post
Any chance there's a version of Calibre which supports Linux ARM? There are updated versions of Calibre in the Arch Linux repositories, but those run "calibre-server" with the password error. I really would like to run a calibre-server on my Raspberry Pi 2.
There is no standard build suitable for the Raspberry Pi that is produced as part of the normal release process. You need someone to build it from source (or do this yourself).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre 3 will soon be released, it no longer uses the cherrypy server, so the arch version of it should be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelitousone View Post
Use calibre-git from the AUR, which I maintain.

The problem is that calibre uses cherrypy for the server, and cherrypy upstream has a bug when trying to log in on mobile browsers. The bug was reported years ago but the cherrypy developers never fixed it, so Kovid ships a patched version of cherrypy with calibre... which Arch Linux strips out (see FS#43382), on the grounds that vendored dependencies are bad. Never mind that in this specific case it is actually good. My AUR package does not strip out the /usr/lib/calibre/cherrypy directory. Although actually, the calibre v3 beta is in git master so the calibre-git package builds that instead, and cherrypy isn't used at all...

The beta version of calibre-server is quite nice, especially on mobile devices. You might want to try it regardless.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-10-2017 at 11:15 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
fidelitousone
fidelitousone began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Thank you, based god Kovid for releasing Calibre 3. It now works on my Pi.
fidelitousone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
Being completely new to raspberry and linux in general, I would appreciate it someone could explain how I can get that package and how to install it.

Thanks
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'll need to compile it yourself, which is hellishly difficult on Raspbian. Arch Linux is a very pleasant distro for getting up-to-date software and even compiling things yourself if needed, though.

If you are willing to learn, it (Arch Linux) is definitely on my list of top linux distros to recommend to people. See here for installation instructions, then simply install calibre through the package manager.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #8
maddhin
maddhin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre 3 will soon be released, it no longer uses the cherrypy server, so the arch version of it should be fine.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but: does this mean that I can use the Arch Linux version and install it on Raspbian?

Secondly, as I'm also eagerly awaiting to update Calibre on my Pi to 3.x: who is actually making the Debian/Rasbian version?

For Linux noobs like me following c&p instructions and fighting with simple permissions (-> running everything as root works!! LOL), it would be awesome to have a relatively up-to-date version available (for the Pi).

I also think with the new content server (love it!) a Pi is a super tool. I'm running the Calibre server on the Pi and simply sync (w/ Resilio) my Win10 Calibre library folder to the Pi -> I always have a 24/7 up-to-date server and don't need to run my laptop or generate catalogues, etc pp. Super easy -> if the book is added on windows, it's on the Pi!!

Only if I could use the 3.x content server which online reading etc features!!!!
maddhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Nope, the Arch Linux version depends on other Arch Linux packages -- it's not really feasible to mix and match packages from different Linux distros.

The good news is that it should be fairly simple to replace Raspbian with Arch Linux Arm.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Are there anywhere listed all the dependencies needed to build from scratch ?

I too would like to get an ARM build since my new chromebook has an ARM processor ...

A second question would be why does it seem that the script believes that it's a Windows system

from setup.build_environment import msvc, is64bit, win_inc, win_lib, NMAKE

> uname -a
Linux localhost 4.4.86-11966-g894358a0af93 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Nov 14 22:06:40 PST 2017 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

> python setup.py bootstrap

File "/home/dan/Downloads/mylinux/apps/calibre/setup/build.py", line 140, in init_env
from setup.build_environment import msvc, is64bit, win_inc, win_lib, NMAKE
File "/home/dan/Downloads/mylinux/apps/calibre/setup/build_environment.py", line 71, in <module>
qraw = subprocess.check_output([QMAKE, '-query']).decode('utf-8')
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 567, in check_output
process = Popen(stdout=PIPE, *popenargs, **kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 711, in __init__
errread, errwrite)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1343, in _execute_child
raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Thanks.
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That error indicates you are missing qmake. The list of dependencies is linked to ont he download page. And nowhere does the script assume you are running windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:53 AM   #12
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That error indicates you are missing qmake. The list of dependencies is linked to ont he download page. And nowhere does the script assume you are running windows.
Thank you, I missed the link on the download page. Very useful.
And yes, I was wrong about it thinking I use Windows.
I managed to build it and will post my steps soon.
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
jfk
Nameless Being

steps

Last edited by jfk; 10-01-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The instructions are all available at the bottom of the page at https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

All you need to do is make sure you actually have all the relevant dependencies.

Again, if you use Arch Linux ARM, this is dead simple. Just install the prebuilt package, or use the calibre-git package from the Arch User Repository.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #15
jfk
Nameless Being

ignore

Last edited by jfk; 10-01-2018 at 07:27 AM.