Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
ADUPS Android Malware Infects $49 BN Tablet

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...s-barnes-noble.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Does that mean they all have it, right out of the box?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Does that mean they all have it, right out of the box?
Yes....

Last edited by AnemicOak; 12-22-2016 at 10:09 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
timmib
timmib began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The following is from the 9to5google.com site:

"Barnes & Noble’s new $50 NOOK Tablet is infected with the same malware BLU battled last month [Update] | 9to5Google
https://9to5google.com/2016/12/21/ba...ablet-malware/
<snip>.
Update: Since publishing, Barnes & Noble has responded to us to confirm that a software update has been pushed to all NOOK devices prior to sales with a newer version of ADUPS (5.5) which does not break Google’s security requirements. ADUPS further confirmed that no user data was transmitted from any NOOK 7 units. Barnes & Noble is also working on an update that will completely remove ADUPS from the tablet.

NOOK Tablet 7” went on sale on November 26. By that time, the device automatically updated to a newer version of ADUPS (5.5), which has been certified as complying with Google’s security requirements, when first connected to Wi-Fi. ADUPS has confirmed to Barnes & Noble that it never collected any personally identifiable information or location data from NOOK Tablet 7” devices, nor will it do so in the future.

Finally, we are working on a software update to remove ADUPS completely from the NOOK Tablet 7”. That update will be made available to download within the next few weeks, but in the meantime customers can rest assured that the device is safe to use.” – Fred Argir, Chief Digital Officer"
timmib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The original article has B&N's statement added in the comments along with...
Quote:
Barnes and Noble has issued a statement, but I doubt that it is correct - the ADUPS version that I pulled off the BNTV450 was *NOT* 5.5, so it did not auto-update.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Just checking on all this today. Didn't know until today about the ADUPS. I gave my sis a Nook for Christmas, the new one for 49.00. Luckily all she can do is charge it, and then I was going to lead her through the setup, but heard the news thanks goodness.

I am searching for answers, can't get close to talking with B&N their lines are so busy. This is not just with the Nook either, according to other sources, many android devices are plagued with this issue.

Last thing I read was that B&N did an update to rid the new Nooks of the ADUPS. See below:

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...-barnes-noble/
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...-barnes-noble/

Don't know if the above is true or not, but I'm pretty ticked since I sent a Nook to my sis for Christmas.
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #8
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has there been any further news on the ADUPS matter? When I google, I can't seem to find any articles about the matter newer than 2016, and they seem to be by and large inconclusive. They say B&N said it was going to fix the problem, but I'm not finding any confirmation that it actually has.

What's the word?
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #9
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if anyone else is still curious, I followed the instructions on how to search for ADUPS as found in this post, and the pertinent packages weren't on my new Nook Tablet 7. So, it is in fact gone. Cool beans.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote