Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #91
socnsum1
reader
socnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Ipad Air
New Comixology Freebie.

https://www.comixology.co.uk/Superma...c3QvbGlzdDM0MQ

Superman/Batman: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice Special Edition #1
This FREE special edition of SUPERMAN/BATMAN #1 by best-selling author Jeph Loeb celebrates the premiere of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, in theaters March 25, 2016.

After a quick origin recap of our world's finest heroes, a new, improved Metallo has come on his birthday to attack both Metropolis and Gotham, bringing the guardians of each city together for a monumental battle! Plus, Lex Luthor assembles a mysterious super-team assigned to "help" the Man of Steel.]
socnsum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #92
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Ringside #1 from Image is free for a limited time @ Comixology and their own store

Quote:
Originally Posted by socnsum1 View Post
New Archie Comics Groupees bundle

https://groupees.com/archiecomics
Thanks for the heads up on this. I think I'm really only interested in the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina issues, but I might be curious enough about the Best Of books and whatever they're doing with the new-style stuff to give a try to the lot (and to encourage the publisher to keep putting out bundles).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #93
socnsum1
reader
socnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluesocnsum1 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Batman & Superman Collections Sale $6.99 each

https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Su...mdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Batman Dark Knight Returns, Batman Complete Hush, Superman/Batman Vol 1, Batman/Superman Vol 1 Cross World, Wonder Woman (2011) Vol 1, Injustice Gods Among us Vol 1, Luthor, Justice League (2011) Vol 1, Superman/Wonder Woman Vol 1

I have most of these already and paid cheaper on Comixology for them in the past. Superman/Batman Vol 1, Complete Hush and JLA Vol 1 all get my recommendation if you are wondering which ones to buy.

I found Justice League (2011) Vol 1 to be a complete turkey personally, but I'm sure a lot would disagree!

DC sales seem to not be as heavily discounted as in the past, especially when compared to Marvel sales.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #94
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Somebody posted a screenshot of Comixology the day Batman vs Superman was released: http://i.imgur.com/O8rafjM.png. Very classy indeed. Looks like a huge ad. And the main sale DC was offering was a Batman and Superman collection sale... up to 58% off. It seems to me a wasted opportunity (like the movie itself, by the way, which is not a bad movie at all, but it's certainly not the movie these characters deserved).

Marvel Monday is on the recent Hawkeye by the awesome creative team of Matt Fraction and David Aja: https://www.comixology.com/Hawkeye-Sale/page/10175

Star Wars Legends Collections Sale! (6 Items): https://www.comixology.com/Star-Wars...ale/list/10594

Ending today, from Image, a sale on Jeff Lemire's Plutona which actually includes mostly Descender books: https://www.comixology.com/Plutona-Sale/page/10146

Also ending today, from Dynamite a sale on Vampirella (shocking, I know): https://www.comixology.com/Vampirella-Sale/page/10147

Regarding the Aspen bundle, it is strange that so many of the first volumes from the lowest tier are included in the omnibus editions from the second tier (Fathom, Charismagic, Executive Assistant Iris, Soulfire, and maybe more). It is already frustrating (but understandable) getting repeats when buying different bundles... but getting repeats from the same bundle is a little bit excessive.

In any case, I think I am going to skip this one. I already have lots of unread bikinis from previous Dynamite bundles.

By the way, there's an article about HB book bundles at Publisher's Weekly: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...k-revenue.html

Quote:
Allen said upcoming releases include HB’s first manga bundle, an LGBTQ bundle for Pride Month (in June), and the debut of several new comics publishers, including Aspen Comics and a yet-to-be-named “biggie.”
I almost forgot: Welcome to the forum, socnsum1, and thanks for the updates.

Last edited by Andanzas; 03-28-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #95
socnsum1
reader

Thanks Andanzas
Advert
Old 03-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #96
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently DC has decided we had too much excitement with the awesome sales from last week. Or maybe they couldn't find a number that sounded as magical as 58 in "Up to 58% off" (I'd suggest 62 or 44, but what do I know). Or maybe they are too busy counting the millions made by Batman vs Superman. In any case, there's no DC weekly sale this week. Actually, their latest weekly sale didn't even last a week.

Image is not as cruel and is having a cool Discovery Sale:
https://www.comixology.com/Image-Dis...ale/page/10207
Buy a discounted collection and get up to three select #1 issues for free with code 3FREE (don't forget to add them to your cart at the time of purchase). As always, check your bundles, because you might have discovered Image already and own a lot of this stuff.
Ends 4/4.

Kodansha also wants to be discovered and is having a sale on 23 Vol. 1's:
https://www.comixology.com/Kodansha-Sale/page/10168
Ends 4/4.

From Marvel a sale on lots of Punisher (these issues are from the imprint MAX, which are not included in Marvel Unlimited and apparently don't go on sale that often, although there was a Punisher sale from MAX recently):
https://www.comixology.com/Punisher-Sale/page/10165
Ends 3/31.

That Star Wars collection sale ends 4/11.

And another sale from Image on The Walkind Dead (must be a new series, never heard of it). 3 bundles, 24 collections and 150 issues:
https://www.comixology.com/The-Walki...ale/page/10164
Ends 4/4.

That Groupees Archie bundle has unlocked its first bonus: Afterlife with Archie #1. The second bonus will be Afterlife with Archie #2. It's not selling very fast.

And hopefully, later today, a Fantagraphics or Drawn & Quarterly Humble Bundle... Or maybe the second Valiant bundle. One can dream, right?

Trevor, this is exhausting, I don't know how you did it.

Last edited by Andanzas; 03-30-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #97
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New Humble Bundle is up, and it's for:

Humble Comics Bundle: Buffy, Angel, & Spike, featuring Dark Horse's licensed spin-offs for the highly popular Buffy: the Vampire Slayer and Angel: the Series tv shows.

Current average is under $8 but fluctuating a lot, top-tier is $15; it doesn't look like more books will be added next week. The count of stuff is kind of inflated by a lot of one-shots, but OTOH there are also a bunch of omnibuses in there, so it balances out.

Quote:
Vamplify your Buffy knowledge! Several years ago, Buffy, Angel, and Spike left television behind and found a new home in the pages of comics. Since then, they've been up to a lot, but you don't need to hunt down each comic to catch up -- we've got you covered with this bundle!

Pay what you want for Angel: Immortality For Dummies, Spike Vs. Dracula, Angel: Blood and Trenches, Angel: Barbary Coast, Spike: Shadow Puppets, Angel: After The Fall Vol.1, Spike: After The Fall, Buffy Season 8 Volume 1: The Long Way Home, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: Willow One-Shot, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8: Riley One-Shot, Buffy The Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1.

Pay more than the average price to also receive Angel: Auld Lang Syne, Angel: Old Friends, Angel: The Curse, Spike: Stranger Things, Spike: Alone Together Now, Angel: After The Fall Vol. 2, Angel: After The Fall Vol. 3, Angel: A Hole in the World, Angel: Only Human, Angel: Illyria - Haunted, Willow Volume 1: Wonderland, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike - A Dark Place, Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 Volume 1: Freefall, Angel & Faith Volume 1: Live Through This, Angel: After The Fall Vol. 4, and Angel: After The Fall Vol. 5.

Pay $15 for all of the above plus Angel: After The Fall Vol. 6, Spike: Asylum, Angel: The Crown Prince Syndrome, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Panel to Panel-Season 8 & 9, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales, and Angel Omnibus.
ETA: If you happen to have read and enjoyed the Knights of the Dinner Table comic book, Bundle of Holding is offering a DRM-free bundle based on the RPG for that: HackMaster

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-30-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #98
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Trevor, this is exhausting, I don't know how you did it.
Ha! You all are doing great!

It looks like we have wifi back at work, but I still have a glitchy device. But when I upgrade my iPad I might start sneaking updates back out unless one of you wants to keep the job.

Not sure if this was mentioned here, but the Comixology podcast code TURTLEBUSTERSPOD for a free copy of the first issue of the TMNT/Ghostbusters mini-series might expire today.
https://www.comixology.com/redeem
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #99
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned here, but the Comixology podcast code TURTLEBUSTERSPOD for a free copy of the first issue of the TMNT/Ghostbusters mini-series might expire today.
Also free at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ODEETCE/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #100
Andanzas
Out of print

I always forget that April's Fool is an important celebration in the US (and maybe other countries?). Lots of great sales today.

DC is having an April's Food Day sale featuring the Joker:
https://www.comixology.com/Joker-Apr...ale/page/10222. Any recommendations from this lot?
Batman #1 - First Appearance of Joker! (1 Items)
Joker: Last Laugh (6 Items)
The Joker (1975) (9 Items)
A Death in the Family (4 Items)
Emperor Joker (9 Items)
More Appearances of the Joker! (9 Items)
Some of these issues go for the attractive sale price of $2.99, but hey, a sale is a sale.
Ends 4/4.

Fantagraphics is having a Funny Comics Sale: https://www.comixology.com/Fantagrap...ale/page/10254. Seems full of great stuff:
Peanuts and Charlie Brown (33 Items)
Angry Youth Comix (15 Items)
HATE (20 Items) (notice that Hate collected editions are featured below, in More Funny Comix!, and they are way cheaper than single issues)
Krazy & Ignatz (13 Items)
More Funny Comix! (19 Items)
I was truly impressed by The Frank Book by Jim Woodring, included in the Forbidden Comics Humble Bundle, although I didn't find it particularly humurous. I'll probably pick up the other books by Woodring in this sale. Anybody has any other recommendations from this selection?
Ends 4/3.

From Comixology Submit, and indie sale:
https://www.comixology.com/Indie-Apr...ale/page/10258
Get 50% off select comics with code COMEDY. Ends 4/3.

Marvel has a different kind of sense of humor and is having an Elektra sale:
https://www.comixology.com/Elektra-Sale/page/10263
Elektra (2014) (11 Items)
Elektra (2001) (32 Items)
Michael del Mundo's art in that 2014 series ranks easily among the most spectacular I've ever seen in a Marvel comic.

From IDW, a sale on comics for kids: https://www.comixology.com/comics-sa...d=10684&lang=1
Can't find the date it ends.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #101
Andanzas
Out of print

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorViking View Post
Ha! You all are doing great!

It looks like we have wifi back at work, but I still have a glitchy device. But when I upgrade my iPad I might start sneaking updates back out unless one of you wants to keep the job.

https://www.comixology.com/redeem
Thanks. Are you thinking of getting the 12.7-inch or the 9.7-inch iPad? I saw the 12.7-inch in a store and had the impression that it was just perfect for reading comics.

It'll be great if we can have you posting updates again!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #102
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Any recommendations from this lot?
From DC's Joker sale, I give a firm recommend the "Emperor Joker" storyline, which is imaginative, entertaining, and very funny indeed (they adapted it for one of the episodes of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold cartoon) and can be read standalone with practically no knowledge of the continuity at the time of printing.

IIRC, the TPB version doesn't contain any bonus material in the back, so you probably won't be missing any extras by getting the single issues. Anyway, read a few of the sample pages to see if you like the humour and art style first, since apparently the main artist's cartoony stylized take might be considered to be an acquired taste for some readers, and it's a decidedly irreverent story which pokes a lot of fun at both the Superman and Batman mythoses.

And though you didn't ask for recs from the IDW sale, I will note that I give a very high unsolicited recommendation for Eric Shanower's Little Adventures in Oz, which reprints his old graphic novels from the 80s or 90s. These are very well-done, gorgeously-illustrated original stories based on L. Frank Baum's world of Oz, done with a loving touch (Shanower is a major fan whom you may already know from his excellent and also recommended Age of Bronze series based on the Trojan War, and also did some newer Oz stories for Marvel's classics line, with a more child-like exaggerated cartoony style), in a beautiful old-school "realistic" style with solidly enjoyable art and storytelling, truly suitable for all ages.

(I may perhaps be biased because I hunted down the original small press GNs across all the older local comic shops in the area before the deluxe hardcover collection reprint with oodles of behind-the-scenes bonuses finally came out, but whatever you pay for them, I'm pretty sure it would be well worth it.)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #103
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
^^ Leaning towards the 12.7" iPad Pro, reading comics being the main reason.

^ I'll also heartily recommend anything by Eric Shanower.
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #104
bathos
Zealot
bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bathos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, kindle Oasis
Quote:
Thanks. Are you thinking of getting the 12.7-inch or the 9.7-inch iPad? I saw the 12.7-inch in a store and had the impression that it was just perfect for reading comics.
I've got the iPad Pro and it's perfect for reading comics. I'd highly recommend it. I couldn't cope with reading them on my iPad Air.
bathos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:40 PM   #105
elaysee
Groupie
elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elaysee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook, Kobo, Kindle, iPad
Apologies if I've overlooked an earlier mention of this.

The Foglios are Kickstarting the latest Girl Genius volume, The City of Lightning. The Kickstarter runs through April 12th and is fully funded, with the book for backers at $10 PDF/$25 softcover/$50 hardcover. The previous volumes are also on sale for mostly $4-5 apiece as watermarked PDFs at DriveThruComics.
elaysee is offline   Reply With Quote