Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 AM   #2311
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Finished Earth Unaware (First Formic War) by Orson Scott Card, and his co-author Aaron Johnston. 3/5, I wasn't too impressed. Some really good chapters in there, and some really boring ones. The novel could easily have had several plotlines and characters cut, without changing anything. It would at least have made it a better book.

Now I started the sequel, Earth Afire, because I had it ready anyway. Will wait for the third one (I hate starting a series and not finish it, unless I really loathe it) to come on offer.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #2312
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'm listening to Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. It's her first novel, a coming of age character-driven story entwined with a murder mystery. Her writing about the marsh and the creatures that inhabit it is lovely. I was not surprised to learn that she has won awards for her non-fiction nature writing about Africa.

From Goodreads:
Quote:
For years, rumors of the “Marsh Girl” have haunted Barkley Cove, a quiet town on the North Carolina coast. So in late 1969, when handsome Chase Andrews is found dead, the locals immediately suspect Kya Clark, the so-called Marsh Girl. But Kya is not what they say. Sensitive and intelligent, she has survived for years alone in the marsh that she calls home, finding friends in the gulls and lessons in the sand. Then the time comes when she yearns to be touched and loved. When two young men from town become intrigued by her wild beauty, Kya opens herself to a new life–until the unthinkable happens.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #2313
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished Hero in the Shadows part of the Drenai Series by David Gemmell. Oddly, Audible has it marked as the 3rd in the series (which is why I listened to it third), but it's actually the 9th book published and the 3rd of the books about Waylander the Slayer. While each book refers to events in other books, for the most part, each book can be read individually in more or less any order.

I find all the Drenai books quite enjoyable, having read them all over the years (they were published over a 20 year period 1984 to 2004) in paper, then again when they came out as ebooks. As I mentioned with the first two, the narrator, Sean Barrett, fits the books well and is very much a narrator rather than a voice actor. I refer of course to his reading style, he's actually a long time British actor and voice actor. By narrator I mean that he uses the same basic voice during the entire book, rather than having difference voices for each character, a la Jim Dale with Harry Potter.

Next up, Arrow's Fall, book 3 of the Heralds of Valdemar.

Last edited by pwalker8; 09-15-2018 at 07:11 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:22 PM   #2314
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Professor Teaches Excel 2016: Office Workspace Basics

trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #2315
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Working my way through the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I must say, I really like the narrator (Davina Porter). Just started book 5, so still got plenty of time to go
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:47 AM   #2316
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm listening to The Magicians, by Lev Grossman. Mark Bramhall's narration is quite solid, though every stodgy anglophile type sounds like David Hyde Pierce on Frasier. I thought it was spot-on for the first one, then I realized it's a bit of a fallback for him.

I've never bothered with Harry Potter, as YA hasn't been my thing since adolescence, but magic college I can handle.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #2317
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'm listening to The Magicians, by Lev Grossman. Mark Bramhall's narration is quite solid, though every stodgy anglophile type sounds like David Hyde Pierce on Frasier. I thought it was spot-on for the first one, then I realized it's a bit of a fallback for him.

I've never bothered with Harry Potter, as YA hasn't been my thing since adolescence, but magic college I can handle.
I've had my eye on that series for a while, but never have quite pulled the trigger on it. Some is that at $12, it's a bit pricey for an older book that I'm a bit ambivalent about. Even the non discounted books published at the same time are around $6 to $7.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:14 AM   #2318
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I've had my eye on that series for a while, but never have quite pulled the trigger on it. Some is that at $12, it's a bit pricey for an older book that I'm a bit ambivalent about. Even the non discounted books published at the same time are around $6 to $7.
I'm trying to burn off my Audible credits and cancel for a while.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #2319
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Send the spares my way. I keep burning up my two credits a month well before the month is half over. This last month I burned through those, an extra three credits, and two WhisperSync deals at $1.99. And that's not even counting my UK account. I really need to get this under control, but I seem to be listening more these days, and reading less.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #2320
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Working my way through the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I must say, I really like the narrator (Davina Porter). Just started book 5, so still got plenty of time to go
I've only listened to one book read by Davina Porter, Villette, and I thought she was excellent. People always cite her, but she doesn't pop up on my TBL as frequently as others.

I'm listening to The Prime Minister by Trollope read by Simon Vance. I lurve Simon Vance, but in this case I'd heard the first four books in this series as read by Timothy West and it's been a tough adjustment. The voices in my head are West's and while it's slightly heretical, I prefer them. That's in part, of course, because I heard West first and also in part because Vance is second on my list of most listened to and there are only so many voices! But to show that it really is mostly just happenstance, Vance remains my favorite Dickens reader.

I wish Timothy West had more books; he's really wonderful.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #2321
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The West versions are excellent, I agree. And I've never been quite as fond of Simon Vance as you, though I do agree he's good. But why did you go with Vance for The Prime Minster? There is a Timothy West version, I know.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #2322
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Send the spares my way. I keep burning up my two credits a month well before the month is half over. This last month I burned through those, an extra three credits, and two WhisperSync deals at $1.99. And that's not even counting my UK account. I really need to get this under control, but I seem to be listening more these days, and reading less.
That's one of the reasons that I have kept my grandfathered in account when I don't get credits, but for $10 a year, I get member discounts. I tend to binge buy audiobooks every few months and stockpile a to be read list rather than buy as I listen. I had a 1 credit a month account for my niece and nephew for a number of years, but finally shut it down this year since they hadn't been using it.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #2323
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The West versions are excellent, I agree. And I've never been quite as fond of Simon Vance as you, though I do agree he's good. But why did you go with Vance for The Prime Minster? There is a Timothy West version, I know.
When I got it, although I'd have preferred West, I was looking for something to use up an about-to-expire cash coupon and Vance had a WhisperSync price and West did not (he does now). I figured Vance would be good enough and of course he is, but I kind of regret it, however not to the extent of getting West, too. Fortunately, I've got West again for the last book in the Palliser series.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #2324
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Ah, those ever nagging cash coupons -- they'll get you every time.

I now have one to use up, looking at WhisperSync options myself. Probably three of the Baen books -- they are still WhisperSync'd at $1.99, and there are a few I'd like to have but haven't gotten around to buying. But maybe something else will come along and grab my coupon value.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #2325
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'm listening to two books at the moment.

The first is The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith and narrated by Cassandra Campbell, which is about a slow-burn love affair between two women in 1940s/50s NYC (and written then too).

The second is We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler and narrated by Orlagh Cassidy, which is about a girl/woman (the story jumps around in time) whose two other siblings disappeared as she grew up. It may sound like a mystery, and there is a little, but it's more of a drama.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations