Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
Prepper
Connoisseur
Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Forma
Question Kobo Aura HD: Series and Shelf issues (shows on Calibre, not on device)

I have the latest version of Caliber and the Kobo Extended plugin. This used to work flawlessly and all my old books are still fine, here are the steps I follow:

I edit the metadata on a book
add the series info
go to custom metadata and pick the shelf I want the book to be stored on
convert the pub again
connect my Kobo
send the book to the device
eject device
wait for Kobo Aura to process the book
reconnect device
wait for jobs to run (to send metadata)
eject device again
wait for Kobo Aura to respond

In the past the books would then appear on the correct shelf I picked in the custom metadata tab step above, and they would display series information on the Kobo Aura under the title. Now nothing. The books are added, I can see them if I look at Library > books, but if I go to shelves they are not updating with the new titles nor are the new titles showing the series info.

Inside Calibre itself everything looks fine and correct. Metadata management is set to Auto. Kobo plugin is set to send series metadata across.

I searched and read some of the old threads but never found a definitive remedy. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The most common reason for the series info and collections not being set properly is that metadata management is not set to automatic. But, as you have checked this and the driver configuration, there is something else happening.

As you are using the KoboTouchExtended driver, are you configuring the correct driver? While the function that is not working is supplied by the main KoboTouch driver, their configuration is separate and the one in used has to be configured.

Beyond that, I need to see a debug log. Run calibre in debug mode (right-click the preferences button and select "Restart in debug mode") and connected the device. When the connection jobs have finished, close calibre and the debug log will be displayed. Post the full comments, or PM it to me, and I will have a look. I can usually see what is going wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #3
Prepper
Connoisseur
Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

David, PM sent with log contents. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 09-12-2018, 02:20 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have sent you a PM, but, in case anyone sees this, the problem was that the "Collection columns" have not been set in the driver configuration. Without that, calibre cannot change the collections as it does not know what to change.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Prepper
Connoisseur

So first off thanks for the response, but I don't understand it. I've been using these tools for a couple years and I've never had to do anything like this before -- it always just worked. I never even had to go into the configuration options of the plug-in or Calibre itself to change metadata management options. Why all of a sudden has it stopped working?

I'm willing to try your suggestion but I have no clue how to do it, can you give me step-by-step instructions?

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
So first off thanks for the response, but I don't understand it. I've been using these tools for a couple years and I've never had to do anything like this before -- it always just worked. I never even had to go into the configuration options of the plug-in or Calibre itself to change metadata management options. Why all of a sudden has it stopped working?
It is absolutely impossible for either of the Kobo drivers to create collections on the device without being configured. The default configuration is for it not to do anything. You have to set the collection columns to what you want. You must have configured this some when you first started using it.

The usual reason for this to "suddenly" stop working is that someone changed between the two drivers. Usually, people find out that kepubs do something they like, install the extended driver and a few weeks later realise that collections are not being updated. The next most common reason is that they moved to a new machine, remembered they needed the plugins but didn't do the configuration.

The only other likely reason is that I made a major change to the configuration of the drivers in the middle of last year. That broke things for people who hadn't change the configuration for a while. I believe I fixed it, and haven't had a report of a problem with this for a long time. But, if you only recently updated calibre from a much older version, then maybe there is still a problem.
Quote:
I'm willing to try your suggestion but I have no clue how to do it, can you give me step-by-step instructions?
Start with https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kob...nd_Collections. That is the basic guide. It is a little old and needs to be updated (Kobo used to call them "shelves"), but should get you started. Come back and ask if you have any problems.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
Prepper
Connoisseur

Finally able to get back at it today (work from home day). It was the plugin, the columns weren't set (they were in Calibre's preferences). The books on the device are now on shelves and have series information set correctly. Thanks for all the help.