Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
un_pogaz
Chalut o/
un_pogaz is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo
Lightbulb [Feature idea] Auto Closing Tags and Parenthese

In some HTML IDEs, when you create a tag, the IDE automatically adds the clossing tag.
ex: You taping a <p class="nomaltext">, the IDE make a </p> after your cursor.

In the same vein when we open a Parentheses (or a Quote, a Square brackets ou a Curly brackets), the IDE write, after your cursor
, the closing caractere.

I don't know how much this is possible in Sigil, but it would be a userful feature.
(There are also quite a few other features, especially IDE, that would be interesting to put and would make Sigil very powerful)
un_pogaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil's Code View editor is not likely to evolve into a "more powerful" html-editing IDE. It's just not in the cards. Especially when those more power html IDEs already exist, and can be used to edit the html of Sigil epubs via the Open With feature.

Sigil is more of a tweaking/polishing tool than a creation-from-scratch one. Those who have need of a full-featured html editing software package should use one of the ones that already exist to create the html for their epubs (or use the Open With feature of Sigil to edit xhtml files in their favorite full-featured editor). We're not looking to reinvent the wheel on html editing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

Yes, but no.

Did you know how many editing software for EPUB there is?
I did some research. A deep search. And so I can tell you with certainty that there are only two.
Sigil and Calibre's.
And that's all.

Oh, HTML and XML IDEs exist (VS Studio, <oXygen/>) and other export to this format (LibreOffice, Atlantis Word, Jutoh)
There is well oXygen which manages a little better to identify the EPUBs as ZIP archives, and thus opens them as simple folders (it just avoids decompacting the book each time)

But none directly support the EPUB.
By that, I mean a management of the OPF, the meta-data, the TOC, the files inside the EPUB or any other specificity of this format.

Sigil and Calibre are the only ones, and in addition, by simple but complete interface, and in a transparent way.

HTML IDEs are powerful to do all from A to Z, but you really do all from A to Z (every file, every line, every word, and a single modification and you should check and probably edit any reference to that)
I do not hesitate to get my hands on the code, change what already exists but create from 0 and manage the OPF and TOC is monstrous.

If Sigil became a specialized IDE for the EPUB, he would not only take a vacant position, but also very much in demand.

Well, I'm on fire and I know it would be a huge job.
I don't know C++ that's why I only suggest this approach (otherwise I would already be coding for Sigil).
I'm not asking to reinvented the wheel, I'm just asking to install it on this great and rare car that is Sigil.

Last edited by un_pogaz; 08-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You've completely ignored my suggestion to try Sigil's Open With feature. It will allow you to use the html editor of your choice while using Sigil to manage the epub. There is no need for the html editor itself to be epub-aware; because Sigil takes care of that.

Because of this ability to use full-featured html editors from within Sigil, Sigil's Code View editor is just about as full-featured as it's ever going to get.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

I don't find that is a perfect solution. It's personal, but I don't like using and crossing several software at the same time.
But I will try this solution.
Thank for the answer.

Otherwise, I've already quickly looked at the "Open with..." function and I find that putting the third-party software in a sub-menu lacks ergonomics.
Once defined, replace the "Open with..." with our software with a "Change application..." below it would be more convenient.
Especially if you can define only a single external software, it would be interesting to have a keyboard shortcut (it does not currently exist)
And if we can define several applications, there a submenu is useful but it would be nice to be able to define a default aplication, accessible via shortcut.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by un_pogaz View Post
I don't find that is a perfect solution. It's personal, but I don't like using and crossing several software at the same time.
It's not intended to be perfect. Nobody's "perfect" is the same as anybody else's. The feature is merely intended to useful. It accomplishes that.

Quote:
Especially if you can define only a single external software,
A single external application per file type. Which is more than sufficient for the vast majority of people's external editing needs.

Quote:
it would be interesting to have a keyboard shortcut (it does not currently exist)

And if we can define several applications, there a submenu is useful but it would be nice to be able to define a default aplication, accessible via shortcut.
Like the HTML Editor, the Open With functionality is probably about as fully-featured as it's going to get. It's useful to a lot of people and doesn't require a lot of tending/nurturing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-01-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:13 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
<snip>

A single external application per file type. Which is more than sufficient for the vast majority of people's external editing needs.
For HTML editing that is undoubtedly so, but probably less so with regards to images, audio, and video; where people, like me, are more likely to use two or more editing tools. Sod's Law ensures the tool you want is not the one you last configured

Aside: I believe it was Voltaire who wrote "Perfection is the enemy of the good" -- in French of course.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
For HTML editing that is undoubtedly so, but probably less so with regards to images, audio, and video; where people, like me, are more likely to use two or more editing tools.
Do you feel you're very representative in that regard? In my opinion, there's not a lot of advantage in editing images and multimedia from within the epub anyway. Some quick image-tweaking/resizing, maybe. But anything more, and I'm not going to mind working on them outside of Sigil with an independent workflow and re-importing when done. *shrug*
Old 08-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Do you feel you're very representative in that regard? In my opinion, there's not a lot of advantage in editing images and multimedia from within the epub anyway. Some quick image-tweaking/resizing, maybe. But anything more, and I'm not going to mind working on them outside of Sigil with an independent workflow and re-importing when done. *shrug*
NOBODY in my shop uses open with. We all edit images, etc., outside of Sigil. It's simply our preference and how we work.

Offered FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:58 AM   #10
un_pogaz
Chalut o/

Oh great, is one program per file type. I didn't notice this subtlety.
But for a shortcut "Open with..." ?
That would be a pretty practical addition. Since there is only one software per file type, the shortcut can be generic/global and uses the user reference (if it exists, otherwise it proposes to create it) ?