Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
capnttom
capnttom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Post 1st Impressions: Upgrade from Kindle1 to PRS600

Hello everyone, this forum has been so helpful that I thought I would contribute by offering my comments as a first post. I recently upgraded to the PRS600.

First of all I recognize that everybody has a personal set of criteria to judge one product against another. As such I would like to offer my first impressions (by order of precedence) with respect to the following context:
1. Portability
a. a compact device that stands up to the rigors of travel;
b. fits well in various places such as my briefcase and airplane spaces; and
c. stores a good sized library consisting of novels & business books
2. User experience
a. an acceptable level of contrast;
b. screen reflections, which can be controlled;
c. ease of page turning;
d. ability to read reference material in the form of .pdf & .doc;
e. a good dictionary; and
f. the ability to annotate and highlight
3. Hardware design
a. durability;
b. holds a charge for at least a week;
c. the ability to comfortably hold the device in many positions;
d. a design that mitigates inadvertent page turning;
e. no wasted space; and
f. pleasing aesthetics
The Kindle 1 was my first venture into the world of ebooks. It has served me well, but has two annoyances that prompted my quest to upgrade. The hardware design, with its big page turning buttons, was a constant cause for inadvertent page turning. Also, it was not a comfortable device to hold for long periods of time. Nevertheless, the quality of the screen was very good and has an edge over the PRS600 in this category.

The edge is due to screen reflections. The PRS600 requires a more granular positioning of the device, with respect to various lighting conditions, in order to achieve an optimal reading experience. Once the proper position is achieved, however, the PRS600 is on par with the Kindle. Much has been written about this issue, but it is nowhere near a show stopper for me. It is a minor annoyance compared to other benefits the PRS600 offers over the Kindle.

The PRS600 is a clear winner with respect to portability. The lack of a keyboard makes it more compact. As such it just fits better in the nooks and crannies of my briefcase, airplane seat-backs and hotel night stands.

With the exception of the aforementioned screen reflections, the PRS600 is also a clear winner in the user experience category. I really like the touch screen, as it makes the user interface more intuitive compared to the Kindle. One example is the dictionary; it is superb. Double tap a word and the meaning is displayed instantly. Also, categories such as books, music and pictures are organized clearly and efficiently. Annotation is very good for those who require this. Finally, no more inadvertent page turning. In fairness, however, I understand the Amazon has solved this problem with the Kindle 2.

Why didn't I buy a Kindle 2? The biggest reason is the keyboard. I really think it adds too much excess real estate to the device, which is a show stopper for me. Regarding Amazon's ability to deliver books wirelessly, it was a convenient feature, but not something that is a must have for me. In fact the Kindle experience is more proprietary, in the sense that one is tied to purchasing content from Amazon. I really like the fact that Sony has adopted an open standard and is pioneering checking books out from a library. Very innovative and cool in my opinion.

A note on PDF files. I'm very impressed with Sony's attentiveness to this function. PDFs are easy to read, which is augmented by the superior zoom functionality. This is a big plus for those, such as myself, who incorporate PDF files into their ebook workflows.

One last item that I would like to comment on are the various ways that one can manage the PRS600 library. I'm still playing with this and my opinion hasn't crystallized yet. I am experimenting with Calibre, Sony's ebook library, and Adobe's Digital Editions.

My initial impression is that Calibre has the broadest array of functionality; if only the developer could get it working reliably for the Mac running Snow Leopard. It provides for converting various ebook formats and editing metadata, two very powerful features. The killer feature, however, is that I can download and format two must reads for me: The Wall Street Journal and The Economist. This is an app I would pay for if the developer could fix the problems for my platform.

The Sony ebook library works and is adequate, but needs additional functions and features. Sony could really create more market differentiation if they could figure this out. A superior interface, of the iTunes genre, will add more value to their line of readers. Nonetheless, the interface to the Sony ebook store is a convenient feature that I expect to use on a regular basis.

My initial take on the Sony ebook store is that it is ok, but has not reached the maturity level of Amazon. Prices are a bit higher and selection is not as good. The big contrast to Amazon, however, is no magazines or newspapers. Hopefully Sony is working on this; it is rumored that they are.

As for the Adobe Digital Editions interface, I haven't got it to recognize the PRS600 yet. I'm not sure what the problem is, but there doesn't seem to be enough there to warrant spending any more time on getting it to work.

I've only had the PRS600 for a few days. The first test was was to put it through its paces while traveling. I spend a good deal of time on airplanes, which is my primary domain for reading. I can say, without equivocation, that the PRS600 passed the traveling test with flying colors and I'm looking forward to making it part of my "road warrior" arsenal of useful gadgets.
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Nice review. Very helpful. My 1st reader was the Sony PRS-505 and then I bought the Kindle 1, which I sold to buy the Kindle 2. The K2 fixed a lot of the problems you had with the K1. I'm glad you are enjoying the PRS-600. i plan to upgrade to a newer Sony in December, so I love reading the reviews!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I have the DX and the 505. I use both frequently and feel they both are great readers. To me the single biggest difference is that I can borrow and read over four thousand ebooks from my library system using my 505. None of these can be read without payment and purchase if I use the DX. I have given thought to the purchase of the Daily Edition once it is available. If Amazon, however, were to do a firmware upgrade allowing the reading of library ebooks, I would find no reason to buy the new Sony.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I have the DX and the 505. I use both frequently and feel they both are great readers. To me the single biggest difference is that I can borrow and read over four thousand ebooks from my library system using my 505. None of these can be read without payment and purchase if I use the DX. I have given thought to the purchase of the Daily Edition once it is available. If Amazon, however, were to do a firmware upgrade allowing the reading of library ebooks, I would find no reason to buy the new Sony.
I love the Amazon store but prefer the Sony reader and that's exactly why I will buy a PRS-2121 to go with my K2. I love going back and re-reading good part of a book and the Sony page number system allows me to shuffle through books like a paper book. I also read a lot of bundle books and I use the Sony to tell me when I almost finish with one of the stories (example, now I'm reading a bundle that has 2,022 pages in small font, the 4th story started on page 737 and ends on page 1001), I love knowing exactly where I am in a book. The history section for each book make it impossible to lose where you are. I will continue to use the Amazon store but I already know the PRS-2121 will be my main reader replacing my PRS-505!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
capnttom, thank you for the fine review, and to the other fine Kindle owners we have here, by the way. I guess I am too accustomed to the Amazon forum which I puruse frequently. So many of the Kidle users are nearly beligerant in regard to the Sony devices. Just wanted you to know I appreciate your objectivity. Although, I have never had a Kindle, I have ordered a 600 and have been concerned about its quality. Your fine review has added to the "favorable" side. Thank you again for the post.
Richard
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I also read a lot of bundle books and I use the Sony to tell me when I almost finish with one of the stories (example, now I'm reading a bundle that has 2,022 pages in small font, the 4th story started on page 737 and ends on page 1001
I didn't know this is how Sony bundles work. I thought that if I bought a bundle I would receive a file for each single book. Do other bundle sellers like Diesel eBooks do this the same way?
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote