Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Ok, I know I should be able to do this. . .

I've bought a couple books from fictionwise that I want to read on my Kindle 1. But it wants me to put in my Mobipocket personal ID, and I simply cannot find that on my Kindle anywhere.

I've tried putting the one in from my DR, but I can't get it to accept any variation of that ID sequence. With the DR due to the font that is used, I can't tell whether I should be putting in an "I" or a "1" or an "l" in several spots in the ID sequence.

I'd really like to be right now.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can't buy Mobi books from Fictionwise for the Kindle, their DRM doesn't work with the Kindle. The only thing you can do is use the PID from your DR or computer (use Mobipocket Reader to find out what it is) and strip the DRM (which I can't tell you how to do). Other than that, see if Fictionwise will give you a refund.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want to check your PID, try pid_checksum.py. This is a python script, like mobidedrm, but all it does is check the PID and tell you if it is wrong (i.e. if the 9th and 10th digit, the checksum, indicates a badly formed PID). See a good generic explanation of how to use python scripts, by Peake.

You may also be able to get your DR1000S PID from your FictionWise Account page. As daffy4u says, this is only useful if you want to strip the DRM in order to read the ebook you bought on your Kindle. This is thought by some to be illegal in the US, but it is hard to see who it hurts.

Last edited by wallcraft; 06-09-2009 at 07:13 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

I think I wasn't clear before, sorry about that.

The reason I wanted to put the PID from my Kindle on my Fictionwise account is that I can't seem to enter it from the DR to the account correctly. I've tried every variation that I could work out, but none seem to work. But this is helpful; at least I know what I can't do.

Thanks for linking me to the pid checksum program.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
The reason I wanted to put the PID from my Kindle on my Fictionwise account is that I can't seem to enter it from the DR to the account correctly.
I assume you don't have a Windows PC? Under Windows, Mobipocket Reader Desktop 6.2 Beta should recognize your DR1000S when you connect it via USB and tell you its PID. It is frustrating that MobiPocket is so Windows centric, although once you have the PID any web browser can be used to buy and download your MOBI ebooks (and the PID is listed on the device itself).

On my iLiad, the PID is 10 characters with all characters uppercase letters or digits. The PID is always 10 characters and if you try all variants of 1 and I and 0 and O I expect only one will pass pid_checksum. A magnifying glass might also help (low tech is sometimes best).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am

That worked perfectly! Thanks!!