Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #91
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalos View Post
I must copy it in libnickel or I activate it where it stay with changing no with yes?
You would enable it in the librmsdk.so.1.0.0.patch file and the patcher will make the changes in the librmsdk.so.1.0.0 file which will be included in the generated KoboRoot.tgz file.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #92
dedalos
dedalos began at the beginning.

Device: kobo GLO
Thanks for the help
dedalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #93
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalos View Post
I must copy it in libnickel or I activate it where it stay with changing no with yes?
Right,change it to yes, dont copy it in the libnickel patch, if u run the patch, it will take all the 3 patch files.
So enable it in the needed patch file,by change no into yes and run the patch, the result is that all 3 files are taken into one update file, there are 3 patch files because they need to patch 3 parts.
So the 3 ones together forms one patch update file.
/edit sorry I answered from the mail I get but saw later DNSB had answered you already
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #94
jlinear
Connoisseur
jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!jlinear rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Aura One, Libra 2, Paperwhite
I just wanted to thanks those responsible for the information and patches in this thread - especially GeoffR. I'm new to Kobo having just purchased an H20 with the expectation of being able to customize it to my satisfaction. This thread has made that possible. I installed the patches in post #1 and #2 of this thread and, in conjunction with Calibre, have been able to customize my reading experience exactly how I like it. Thanks again.
jlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #95
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
Also anybody know how to run the patcher on a mac? No joy so far so I am having to use my work PC

To do this on the Mac, make your changes in the patch files (I use xcode), open Terminal app, then navigate to the patch folder inside terminal and type "./3.11.0.sh"

If there are no errors, then the resulting tgz file can be dropped into your kobo.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #96
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
Thanks all, I'll try those settings. The problem is I cannot remember (or find) my old settings!

Re running on Mac everything I have tried just returns errors whereas it works OK on a P.C
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #97
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Thanks all, I'll try those settings. The problem is I cannot remember (or find) my old settings!

Re running on Mac everything I have tried just returns errors whereas it works OK on a P.C
I don't use a Mac, but in the windows versions there are temp. files left in the patch directory (source).
They can maybe block the process, so remove them.
(use the patch zip on the first post to compare the directory's before and after)
The patch,in windows,does not remove the generated files for patching which are:
KoboRoot.tar
libadobe.so
libnickel.so.1.0.0
librmsdk.so.1.0.0
(So only files with the .patch extension and the original firmware file has to be in the source direction)
In windows,these files are overwritten by a new attempt for patching,maybe in the Mac batch file it can't ??
Or maybe it can't replace the KoboRoot.tgz in the target direction, maybe due file rights for deletion (if that is how it works on a Mac ) so it can be a good idea to remove this KoboRoot.tgz file to a safe position so you,like I do,have it always as a backup so you have no need to patch it again.

By just installing the original firmware back to the reader,all patch settings are undone.
I place every patch in a new sub directory, so I am always able to see the settings of the previous ones.
I first make backup files of my old settings files before I gonna change,and I keep a working version of the update file,so if something went wrong with new settings, I just copy the older working update file back and restore the copy patch files back for a new attempt.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 11-02-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #98
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That looks like slantybard's example for the H2O, it will be too big for the Aura. If you want your Aura to look like slantybard's H2O then try something like this:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 32px;`
replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 32px;`
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 20px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:10px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-4px;`
Or see Jellby's example for the Aura.

But nothing has changed with the footer recently (apart from footerMargin, which does nothing), so if you use exactly the same values you had before the upgrade you should get exactly the same result after.
For some reason I am not able to set a minus value for the margin top, it gives me an error that the replacement is too long. Also the font is huge in the footer despite me trying values of 20, 10 and even 5.

I got the patch working via terminal though!
Old 11-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #99
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
For some reason I am not able to set a minus value for the margin top, it gives me an error that the replacement is too long. Also the font is huge in the footer despite me trying values of 20, 10 and even 5.

I got the patch working via terminal though!
When you set the negative margin, the - replaces a space. As in GeoffR's example:
Code:
if you used:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: -4px;`
you will get the string too long error.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #100
neil74
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That looks like slantybard's example for the H2O, it will be too big for the Aura. If you want your Aura to look like slantybard's H2O then try something like this:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 32px;`
replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 32px;`
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 20px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:10px;`
Or see Jellby's example for the Aura.

But nothing has changed with the footer recently (apart from footerMargin, which does nothing), so if you use exactly the same values you had before the upgrade you should get exactly the same result after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When you set the negative margin, the - replaces a space. As in GeoffR's example:
Code:
if you used:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: -4px;`
you will get the string too long error.
Thanks, that nailed it!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #101
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
The huge footer text is a sign that one of your replacement strings was too short.

In many cases it is okay for the replacement string to be shorter than the original, but not for this patch. For this patch the replacement strings must be exactly the same length as the originals.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #102
GalacticHull
Enthusiast
GalacticHull began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2O
Odd that nothing changes.

First post, first e-reader, so please bear with my ineptitude.

Ordered the H20, and updated the the 3.11 firmware as soon as I noticed it posted here. A few days ago, I decided I try the patch.

The first time I tooled with configurations and installed the patch the device re-installed the firmware. That seemed normal. But, I didn't get the variables right (I assumed) and the "beta" for advanced font controls on side-loaded fonts was overlooked.

The second try, the device did not re-install 3.11, though it did behave as though it was loading books, or configuring/updating. Both times, the patch executable ran perfectly. Command Prompt listed each patch as enabled or disabled based on my input. Swimmingly.

But here's the problem: there seems no change to the device. No change in the line spacing, font sizes, and definately 0 ability for advanced fonts.

(Also, the trick to change the configuration file for weight and sharpness in each font doesn't seem to do anything. I'd love to make my SabonNext weightier!)

Any ideas? I'm new to this, so if there are things I need to clarify, do let me know.

Thank you.

EDIT: Perhaps one function worked. In reading settings, Refresh the screen every reads "OH THE HUMANITY!" which I assume is from this patch

Last edited by GalacticHull; 11-03-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: additional information
GalacticHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #103
GalacticHull
Enthusiast
GalacticHull began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2O
Update: Realized I had forgotten the final instruction of the patch.

The patch now works. The advanced font setting appears, and while the size adjustment works, font-weight adjustment does not. Is it working for others?
GalacticHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #104
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@GalacticHull,
I've mentioned in other threads a couple of times that I've had problems with font-weight adjustment having no effect with a few (not all) of my sideloaded fonts when they were otf files rather than ttf. I fixed them by converting otf to ttf. Might this be your problem as well? Leaving aside the font weight problem for a moment, do these same sideloaded fonts work properly, i.e. regular, italic, bold, bolditalic all functioning correctly? If not then the internal font names may be the problem. Kobo is quite fussy about internal/external naming.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #105
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
For testing you can try HP's Dark Courier font, it should work with the advanced font controls without any changes: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...reitem=lj611en
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote